Jeep Patriot Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My issues resolved itself w/o any replacement.

Unfortunately my 2013 Patriot Latitude FDI (just over 45K miles) appears to have died. Went to start & it will not start. The ETC light is flashing, CEL light flashes 10 times & then says lit, and the 4WD! is lit (no flashing). No ESC light at all. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Pat, threw a rod bearing at 170,000 replaced the engine. Now the ETC light, traction control light comes on not always the check engine light. Loss of power stalling ect. At first turning it off and on worked than issue progressed disconnected battery would fix for a couple days, now you cant go 2 blocks without it happening. We have replaced the MAP sensor and the Throttle Body still doing it. The only code we get is P0108. What should we try next? Im reading possible vacuum leak at the intake manifold even without the code? I have also read wheel sensors, ABS sensor ect? Any ideas? dont see the point in taking to a dealer that is going to charge 100 bucks an hour and do exactly what we are doing throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this same issue went down to the auto store to get the code read and ended up buying a whole new Throttle body have had any issues since and that was about 3 months ago

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

I have the same issue, with the ETC and traction light coming on and limp mode, and so far I checked the pink wires under drivers kick panel and resoldered them and verified that was not the issue.

One specific thing to add about my case is this happened right after driving through a pretty deep puddle, maybe about 18inces at the deepest for a few seconds. Does this give a hint as to what one of the possible things that could have failed to cause this?

Is it more likely a ABS sensor failed from getting wet or a wire somewhere else corroded? Hoping to narrow down what to look at.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
263 Posts
As mentioned above, if you are not getting a code with your scanner but have lights on the dash than your scanner is not capable of reading the system that is malfunctioning. Basic scanners just read codes from like 4 major systems and do not include abs/SRS/manufacturer specific (ie: HVAC, radio, etc). You need to get the code before doing any work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It actually had 12 codes, but tbh I think most were there before this happened and it ran fine lol.

Do any of these codes seem like they relate to this issue? I reset and only one that seemed to come right back instantly was p0038

·
Registered
714 Posts
Jeep Jeep DTC U1403
Definition:
Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received
Description:
The Fuel Level Sensor signal is a direct input to the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM transmits the fuel level message to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the CAN C bus.
Cause:
FUEL LEVEL SENSOR WIRING ISSUE
FUEL LEVEL SENSOR
BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC U0141
Definition:
Instrument Panel Cluster -IPC- CAN Signal - Missing Message
Description:
Treat this DTC as a LOST COMMUNICATION DTC when performing the COMMUNICATION DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE.
Cause:
CAN C Bus failure open or shorted
Front control module has failed
PCM has failed
-------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC P0480
Definition:
Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit
Description:
This two speed cooling fan system uses a Low Speed Fan Relay and Hi Speed Fan Relay to control the cooling fan operation.
Cause:
RADIATOR FAN RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
RADIATOR FAN RELAY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC P0481
Definition:
Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit
Description:
This two speed cooling fan system uses a Low Speed Fan Relay and Hi Speed Fan Relay to control the cooling fan operation.
Cause:
RADIATOR FAN RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
RADIATOR FAN RELAY
---------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC P0139
Definition:
O2 Sensor 1/2 Slow Response
Description:
For an aged Oxygen (O2) Sensor, the response rate to the air/fuel change is slower than when it was new. The O2 Sensor tends to move less with the same air/fuel changes in a given time frame. Therefore by observing the activity of voltage readings from the O2 Sensor, the quality of the O2 Sensor can be detected.
Cause:
EXHAUST LEAK
O2 SENSOR 1/2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
O2 SENSOR RETURN CIRCUIT
O2 SENSOR
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC U110C
Definition:
Lost Fuel Level Message
Description:
The Fuel Level Sensor signal is a direct input to the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM transmits the fuel level message to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the CAN C bus.
Cause:
FUEL LEVEL SENSOR WIRING ISSUE
FUEL LEVEL SENSOR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC U0402
Definition:
Invalid Data Received From DCTM
Description:
This fault can set if either condition occurs:Data messages received over the bus from the TCM are implausible.The PCM detects a drag during a engine torque request from the TCM. This can occur if the TCM requests engine torque during a shift event.
Cause:
CAN BUS OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
TRANSMISSION HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE ISSUE
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC P0038
Definition:
O2 Sensor 1/2 Heater Circuit High
Description:
The primary objective of the Oxygen (O2) Sensor Heater Control is to attain the fastest possible temperature rise, and to control the steady state temperature of the O2 Sensor. A Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) element inside the O2 Sensor heats up as current passes through it. This allows the system to enter Closed Loop quickly and meet the OBD II requirements for continuous monitoring and to deliver accurate readings. This is accomplished by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) sending a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) current to the O2 Sensors heater element. The PWM duty cycle is calculated, in response to the temperature measurements. The PCM uses the collected information to continually adjust the PWM to achieve a desired steady state temperature target.
Cause:
O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
FUSED ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
OXYGEN SENSOR 1/2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC P1607
Definition:
PCM Internal Shutdown Timer Rationality
Description:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares actual shutdown time to a calculated shutdown time value. The calculated shut down time value is based on the amount the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) should drop after a completely warmed up engine is shut down for a minimum of 8 hours. If the difference between actual shutdown time and the calculated shut down time is greater than a maximum value, a one trip failure will set. The shutdown time is measured again after 1 hour of ignition off time following the next engine warm up cycle. The PCM compares the shutdown time to a calculated value. If the difference is greater than a maximum value, the MIL is illuminated and a DTC will set.
Cause:
COOLING SYSTEM ISSUES
AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE (AAT) SENSOR
ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) SOFTWARE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Jeep DTC U110E
Definition:
Lost Ambient Temperature Message
Description:
Treat this DTC as a IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL DTC when performing the COMMUNICATION DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE.
Cause:
AAT SENSOR WIRING ISSUE
AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE (AAT) SENSOR
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes, that's a lot of codes! But judging by what most of them are, is sounds like you've got a wiring issue. The first 2 things that I would check are all the grounds under the hood, and the relay box that's below the left headlight. Both are known for corrosion and can cause similar symptoms. Could also be a bad PCM or TIPM, but I'd check for a wiring problem first.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts