Jeep Patriot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You need to be careful to not jump to conclusions and end up replacing parts until you hit the jackpot. I share that from experience, as I often put on blinders, don't follow proper diagnostic procedures, and pay the price in parts AND time. There should be codes stored if the throttle body is bad.

As much as I espouse the reliability of the simple 2.4L GEMA engine, my opinion is that the throttle body IS a weak point. It's all over the internet. Watch the attached excellent video(s) and note the plastic gear breakage at about minute 7:00. My dealer service department advisors have these defective throttle bodies sitting on their desks as paper weights.

My Pat had the throttle body replaced under 40K miles, out of warranty. My excellent dealer did a "good will" replacement for about $100. Since this is a very well known problem, I would investigate this route. Ask Jeep Cares for assistance and go in with homework done (video) and some assertiveness.
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks Treegrower. I stopped by O'Reilly's to have them scan my car. The engine is throwing codes U1407 and U1424. I've searched Google and this forum but can't seem to find a clear answer as to how to repair those codes. The description of the codes are all Chinese to me. I hate to send it to the dealship and pay their fee's associated with it. I may just take my chances and replace the throttle body myself and hope that corrects the issue. What a bummer.

You need to be careful to not jump to conclusions and end up replacing parts until you hit the jackpot. I share that from experience, as I often put on blinders, don't follow proper diagnostic procedures, and pay the price in parts AND time. There should be codes stored if the throttle body is bad.

As much as I espouse the reliability of the simple 2.4L GEMA engine, my opinion is that the throttle body IS a weak point. It's all over the internet. Watch the attached excellent video(s) and note the plastic gear breakage at about minute 7:00. My dealer service department advisors have these defective throttle bodies sitting on their desks as paper weights.

My Pat had the throttle body replaced under 40K miles, out of warranty. My excellent dealer did a "good will" replacement for about $100. Since this is a very well known problem, I would investigate this route. Ask Jeep Cares for assistance and go in with homework done (video) and some assertiveness.
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did the replacement rectify the problem Riotous?
I actually didn't get around to replacing it till last night. Since I started having the issue I found I was able to "manage" when the light would come on and it affect my driving. I found if I used the autostick to drive, didn't go above 4th gear, and accelerated slowly that it would minimize the number of times it would kick in. I still had issues with it every single day but the autostick just helped me manage it a little better. With that said, after replacing it yesterday I immediately took it on a 30 minute test drive on back roads, the interstate, up and down hills, ect, and didn't have a single issue with it. The car also drove perfect on my 40 minute commute to work this morning.

To answer your question, on the two 30 minute drives I've had since replacing it, it seems to be fixed. The car has driven and shifted perfect on those two drives. So right now I would say that yes it did fix it, but I want to give it a couple of weeks of driving before I give an OFFICIAL yes.

Btw, I've got the 2.0l engine and it was an absolute pain in the ass to get to. The video that was posted above tells you exactly how to take it off however my 2.0l engine had all kinds of hoses and electrical lines that I continuously had to hold out of the way with one hand while I worked with the other. All in all it took only about 45minutes to an hour to replace. I feel like if I had to do it over again, now that I know what I'm doing, it could be done in under 30.

This is the exact part that I ordered: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/cardone-throttle-body-domestic-reman-67-7002/11639123-P?cm_mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Shipped-_-General#utm_source=et&utm_medium=trans&utm_campaign=shipped&utm_content=general

Saved me about $100 versus buying the OEM Mopar replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually didn't get around to replacing it till last night. Since I started having the issue I found I was able to "manage" when the light would come on and it affect my driving. I found if I used the autostick to drive, didn't go above 4th gear, and accelerated slowly that it would minimize the number of times it would kick in. I still had issues with it every single day but the autostick just helped me manage it a little better. With that said, after replacing it yesterday I immediately took it on a 30 minute test drive on back roads, the interstate, up and down hills, ect, and didn't have a single issue with it. The car also drove perfect on my 40 minute commute to work this morning.

To answer your question, on the two 30 minute drives I've had since replacing it, it seems to be fixed. The car has driven and shifted perfect on those two drives. So right now I would say that yes it did fix it, but I want to give it a couple of weeks of driving before I give an OFFICIAL yes.

Btw, I've got the 2.0l engine and it was an absolute pain in the ass to get to. The video that was posted above tells you exactly how to take it off however my 2.0l engine had all kinds of hoses and electrical lines that I continuously had to hold out of the way with one hand while I worked with the other. All in all it took only about 45minutes to an hour to replace. I feel like if I had to do it over again, now that I know what I'm doing, it could be done in under 30.

Saved me about $100 versus buying the OEM Mopar replacement.
hi Riotous: Is it still working right after the Throttle Body Replacement??? Mine is doing the same thing and I don't know if I should just replace the throttle body or not. I heard that once it replaced it has to be relearned or something. did you have to do that?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmmmm, I have this problem now (2008 2.4 5sp 4x4),~135000 mi.

A casual survey of this thread reveals:

1. Throttle body

2. Wiring fault (at starter, or somewhere on the driver side wire run/behind front wheel or rocker pannel)

3. Something else.

Beside the traction control warning light that came on, I also had the electrical fault light come on as well. Limped home yesterday. Started today,only the engine fault light is on (and seems to be charging well at 14V...I thought it could have been the alternator at first). Did not drive it yet this morning (had to go to work), so not sure if it is still happening.

I guess I will get an OBD2 scanner and check that. The addition of the electrical fault warning light leads me to believe that it might be more likely #2 above instead of the throttlebody?

Also, has anyone with the lifetime warranty had this problem fixed, under the waranty?

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi Riotous: Is it still working right after the Throttle Body Replacement??? Mine is doing the same thing and I don't know if I should just replace the throttle body or not. I heard that once it replaced it has to be relearned or something. did you have to do that?
2 weeks out now and it seems to have fixed my particular issue. No problems since replacement and everything is back to operating like normal. I did do the relearn procedure. I disconnected the battery while replacing the throttle body and then did the gas pedal relearn procedure after I was finished just to make sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2 weeks out now and it seems to have fixed my particular issue. No problems since replacement and everything is back to operating like normal. I did do the relearn procedure. I disconnected the battery while replacing the throttle body and then did the gas pedal relearn procedure after I was finished just to make sure.
Thanks for the info. I think I will try to replace it myself. Can you tell me what the steps are exactly for the relearn process?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think I will try to replace it myself. Can you tell me what the steps are exactly for the relearn process?
You're welcome.

There's two ways to do the relearn procedure from my understanding. You can either disconnect the battery for about an hour (I think that's the right length of time) or, if you don't want to disconnect the battery, follow the steps in this thread: http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/15-engine-drivetrain/42689-ecu-re-learn-procedure-without-disconnecting-battery.html

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have to replace my TB on my 08. I ordered a TB from Advance Auto for $200

Upon closer examination, it appears to be a tight fit to get in the engine compartment in that area. I can't even see the worm clamp that attaches the breather hose to the TB. I'm thinking that it might be easier to get at everything from underneath the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Red Lightning Bolt Issue-Solved

I have had this issue on and off over the years (2013 Patriot Latitude) but it would always go away when I restarted the Jeep so I just thought it was maybe some sort of glitch and kept a watch on it. However, lately it seemed to be doing it more often and it was concerning because it happened while I was driving to work. It didn't happen while I was moving, but at stoplights/stop signs. I took it to my local mechanic..I didn't take it to the Jeep dealer here because I am past warranty and they tend to overcharge. They cleaned the throttle body, but that just made it worse! So they decided to completely replace it and that didn't resolve the issue either. There was another Jeep there having the same light come on and they brought in an "expert" and they were able to get the code to come up on mine while it was attached to the code reader. It turned out that my intake gasket was leaking? I am no mechanic or expert in anyway but thought this might be helpful to others experiencing the same problem. I guess they still couldn't figure out what the problem was with the other Jeep there. Luckily, they didn't charge me for the new throttle body since that didn't fix it and the new intake gasket wasn't too bad. It seems to be working fine now and I haven't seen the light since. I think this ETC light tends to light up for a variety of issues and the mechanic said that it was really hard to pinpoint. I was lucky in that it repeated for them while they had it! However, they said that if it comes on again, I will have to take it to the dealer because they couldn't see anything else wrong with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
4 months out now and I've started having the same issue again. I'm going to chalk it off to getting an aftermarket re-manufactured TB made by Cardone. I went with the cheapest I could find. Car has been running fine since replacing it back in January until now. The part has a 1 year warranty on it, but Im debating if I want to take advantage of that or just go ahead and cough up the $300 for the actual MOPAR part. You get what you pay for I guess. Here's the part I ordered for reference: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/cardone-remanufactured-throttle-body-67-7002/11639123-P?utm_medium=affiliate&c3nid=IR-27795&ClickId=0Z6ztPV9oyHT0X-VWPzPdRXdUkjRVx04Qy45380&utm_source=ir&c3ch=Affiliate&utm_campaign=27795&cm_mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Shipped-_-General&utm_content=404718&irgwc=1#utm_source=et&utm_medium=trans&utm_campaign=shipped&utm_content=general

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just had this happen yesterday to my carpool partners 2014 Pat (Silver). Lightning bolt light on, CEL on, throttle non-responsive.
It's been stuck in a parking lot since yesterday. Getting a hook truck to pick it up and take it to the shop this afternoon.

So far "Silver and Whitey" have performed flawlessly until this happened. We have a combined 220K-ish between the two rigs now.
I may as well buy a spare TB for Whitey. Sounds like this problem is not a fluke.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2013 Patriot Latitude 2.4L w/ CVT just over 42,000 miles.

I'm having almost the same issue. The ETC light flashes & limp more engages. Sometimes it resolves by releasing the accelerator pedal & then then my Patriot will be fine. Other times I need to pull over & either put the CVT in Park or turn off the engine & restart. The ESC or CEL lights do not appear, no do any others. No codes as yet. No pattern to this - hills, flat, or speeds.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
118 Posts
2013 Patriot Latitude 2.4L w/ CVT just over 42,000 miles.

I'm having almost the same issue. The ETC light flashes & limp more engages. Sometimes it resolves by releasing the accelerator pedal & then then my Patriot will be fine. Other times I need to pull over & either put the CVT in Park or turn off the engine & restart. The ESC or CEL lights do not appear, no do any others. No codes as yet. No pattern to this - hills, flat, or speeds.

Anyone have any ideas?

That could be a faulty throttle body. Mine just did that where it flashed twice and tried to go into limp mode. Then fixed it self. But when this happened to another truck I work on it was the same issue and just changed the throttle body and good as new. It’s just that sometime the flap is stuck which means the gears inside are going bad as they are made of plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
That could be a faulty throttle body. Mine just did that where it flashed twice and tried to go into limp mode. Then fixed it self. But when this happened to another truck I work on it was the same issue and just changed the throttle body and good as new. It’s just that sometime the flap is stuck which means the gears inside are going bad as they are made of plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was hoping it wasn't. Which throttle body replacement should I get:
Mopar
Cardone - have read some negative reviews
Dorman - Ltd Lifetime Replacement, bad reviews also.

I'm leaning towards the Mopar, but I'm not familiar with the others but haven't read many good reviews on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Little over a week now since I had the electronic throttle and traction control lights come on and vehicle would not go over 15mph. I was able to drive it home and had it towed to the dealership. They ended up replacing the throttle body which was covered under the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty. So far the car has been working fine. For reference I have a 2008 Patriot with 139,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this typically covered under warranty?

My 2016 Patriot seems to be doing the same thing. Last week it stuttered and the ETC and check engine lights flashed; it was crawling. When I pulled over and restarted it, all was fine. Today it stuttered while driving again, and now I am concerned I can't trust it. AutoZone read the code for me U0401, which doesn't tell me much. Anyone know if I should seek help at a dealer or a local mechanic? The Jeep has less than 50k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Relatable!

I am so conflicted about what to do for thsi issue. I suppose taking it to a dealer seems like the best course of action?

I've been reading through this forum for a few days now, and I must admit that I am thoroughly confused. I have seen maybe 3 or 4 different fixes for this ETC issue. I don't know what to do now.

I have a 2007 Patriot that just hit 100k miles. I have been driving with this ETC issue for maybe 6 months where I cannot rev very hard at all and certainly can not go over about 2500 RPMs. I have not seen the light come on lately, but there is still an issue while driving.

But based on everything I have read here, I don't know if this is a computer issue, a faulty wire issue, or if it needs a replacement throttle body. How do I know the difference? Will it just be trial and error? I'd love for this to not cost me a fortune.

This is only my 2nd post and this issue is what made me sign up for this website!

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time poster, also not super mechanically savvy so bear with me. Hope this helps at least a few weary folks.

Have a 2014 Jeep Patriot, automatic 4wd with about 83k miles. No major issues thus far, just usual maintenance.

Had the same issue this week. It snowed night before, roads were bad at my house, so I turned on the 4wd (barely used it this winter, only had one really heavy snow so far, knock on wood). About 5 minutes to work, roads were much improved on the main roads, but left the 4wd on until I got to work. Went to move my car on my last break after switching out of 4wd to a closer spot, and saw the ETC light and check engine come on, actually had to look in the darn manual to see what it even meant. Anyways it kicked the whole way home every time I tried to accelerate, was able to get it up to 60 mph (take interstate all the way home for the most part), but every time I had to slow down, it was a hard time speeding back up to flow of traffic (Jeep was kicking and screaming the whole way), throwing on the hazard each time I had to merge.

Auto Zone was closed so couldn't try to check the codes. Tinkered in my driveway for awhile, turning off and on the 4wd wondering if that affected it, tried starting the car and turning off multiple times, tried running it in neutral as I read somewhere, but same issue, the lights, and kicking/couldn't get about 2500 RPMs. Figured I'd have to take the day off and take it to the dealership (and REALLY did not want to miss a day of work over this), but decided to try one last thing - I removed the battery hood and a hose, to get to the ETC sensor connection piece right on the throttle valve, disconnected it, cleaned it well with a clean rag, connected it back up well/made sure it wasn't loose, replaced the hoses, and fired it up. The check engine light was still present, but the ETC light was gone. Took it for a drive around the block, and was accelerating over 2500 RPMs. To make sure, went a few more blocks, no problems.

Today I drove the 45 mins to work, no issues. Still the check engine light. After my shift, started my Jeep, and the check engine light now also is gone. Drove home fine. I hope in my case the darn connection was either bad, or just plain loose, but if the same thing is happening to you, although an obvious step to most savvy mechanics, to me it was a life-saver, and hopefully can help you. Have tomorrow off, so might go back in and try reinforcing it with a zip tie, in case it did come loose/bad plastic, from all these darn pot holes this time of year.

Will comment if issue returns, and seeing how much of a prob this is, already thinking about trading this one in at some point this spring/summer for a new vehicle, because it's not a headache I want to have to deal with frequently!

81 - 100 of 109 Posts