Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
replaced wiring to cam sensor, no change. apparently the P0340 error code references the rear sensor?? I swapped the connector on the intake side and there was no change. I then disconnected rear sensor and again no change in code. Just for giggles I pulled the intake side connector and got a different code. so... I then put the previously removed connector (from the intake sensor) to the rear sensor. again no change. I swapped out the rear sensor with a brand new one I got with the connector and still no change in code. Since it is a whopping 8 degrees out while I was doing this, Done for today. Open to suggestions if you have any... computer??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Great Information! not sure I want to do this in sub zero temp, standing in a snowbank.... It does give me a place to start looking if it warms up a bit outside. Dealership wanted to replace the motor...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Weather has gotten a bit warmer so I can look into this more. Still fighting the claim that the engine is full of 'sludge' Got the photos from Century who has the warranty and the pictures don't even look like the same sludge from one photo to the next, Camshaft does not show that it is even in contact with the valves, (no shiny surface where the valves ride) and one cam bearing cap was removed and looks like someone smeared dirt and grease on the bearing journal instead of a bearing surface... plans now are to remove the valve cover (which also looks like it has never been removed) and see what is inside.

My question is if the cam is broken, then I shouldn't have compression on one or more cylinders as the valves would be either open or punch through the piston. yet there is compression on all 4 cylinders. Also the motor will start (barely) and run a bit. With a broken cam, I doubt it will even start. Still has the P0340 error and maybe that is the whole problem (?) But the warranty company has voided the warranty because of the 'sludge' and they claim there is no way to dispute their findings. I am just plain out of luck.

My warning is to stay away from Century Service Contract and if you have them on your vehicle, you better be able to trace any and every service required at the correct interval and it has to be done by a certified garage. they don't recognize doing it yourself. If you have a problem, you are on your own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update::

Pulled the valve cover off and there is some 'sludge' just below the oil fill area, and the cam is broken on the drivers side cylinder. This keeps the camshaft from turning for that cylinder and also for the cam sensor, thus the camshaft sensor error.camshaft broke right where the bearing is and is welded to the head under the bearing cap. so the question is, did the cam break cause the heating up and the 'sludge' in the oil? or the sludge cause the cam to break? the rest of the head looks relatively clean.. either way, we are looking at a replacement motor I guess. Any idea what the flat rate (hours) it is to replace a motor?? Never seen a cam break, much less through a bearing area like this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
sorry for the delay, After 4 months of battling with Century about the extended warranty, I am hitting my head against a brick wall. They refuse to honor the contract, or refund my money. I was told to contact the dealer I purchased the vehicle from for a refund. This also fell upon deaf ears. so the vehicle is still sitting waiting for whatever I decide to do with it, Still paying a monthly loan payment, and I will NEVER buy another vehicle from that dealer again! Many promises to return calls, send me paperwork, etc. No replies until I gave up. I am sure I have spent more in time trying to fix this stupid car and talked to too many desk jockeys that don't know a thing about automotive engines. IF I ever do fix this $%#&*(^ car, it will be sold off and I will buy a real car. In the meantime, my son is driving a 1999 Cherokee with a straight 6 in it. got it for $900 and it runs 100 times better than the stupid Patriot did.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts