Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 2016 patriot he purchased new, was driving the other day and it quit. he got it home but now it doesn't start. Had it towed to local dealer as it was suppose to be under warranty. They found a broken camshaft (their diagnosis) and want o replace the motor for $8000. and it isn't under their warranty. We traced back and it is covered under Century Plus warranty which is an outside company, called them and they said it is covered. so far we are out the $200 towing (which is also covered) and no vehicle for a week now. They have not started the repair and need to talk to the warranty company first.

Is this a common problem with these undersized motors?? Glad I talked him into the extended warranty!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That is very rare. I had a short wheelbase Caravan with a different 4 cyl. engine and the camshaft broke at 190,000 miles. It was a non interference engine, so I was able to just throw a new camshaft in (I checked bearing clearances). I drove it for another 10,000 miles and then sold it.

Excellent that you have an aftermarket warranty. It's very rare for them to be worthwhile. They may become more necessary as new vehicles become much more complex (computers, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
8,517 Posts
That is very rare. I had a short wheelbase Caravan with a different 4 cyl. engine and the camshaft broke at 190,000 miles. It was a non interference engine, so I was able to just throw a new camshaft in (I checked bearing clearances). I drove it for another 10,000 miles and then sold it.

Excellent that you have an aftermarket warranty. It's very rare for them to be worthwhile. They may become more necessary as new vehicles become much more complex (computers, etc.).
For the most part, extended warranties cover only the mechanical components. I also share your cynicism about aftermarket warranties.

Also agree that mechanical failures are pretty rare these days, among our Patriots and most other makes as well.

@jimvw57, I hope you get yours back on the road soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Told my son he would be stretched just making the obscene payments because of the Chrysler Credit interest they charged so the extended warranty would cover just about everything and he has had bad luck with cars. luckily it worked out in his favor for once.

He drives it and I get to pay for it. not sure how that happened....

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 75th Anniversary Edition
37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latest news... the warranty company denied the claim because there is sludge in the engine... I'm sure it is some kind of super sludge that would reach up and break a camshaft!! Even if it caused it to lose oil pressure, the bearings would fail, not break a camshaft....Here we go fighting for something that we paid for and then told it was worthless. Open to suggestions...

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
329 Posts
I've always bought extended warranties. And I've almost always used them. I used the extended warranty MANY times with my 2014 patriot. Bearings, suspension components, frames parts, the radio, throttle body and more. I would have paid well over $10,000 to replace all of that if I hadn't had it. I don't trust companies these days to build anything of quality and those warranties are not that expensive. Always get it. The warranty was roughly $2,000 and the radio alone Chrysler quoted $1,400 before they realized I had the warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heading up to the dealer we originally purchased jeep from with paperwork, apparently they can't tell me their correct email address to send it by computer. 1 1/2 hours of driving to hand them a couple of sheets of paper...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Aftermarket warranty companies can be a huge pain to deal with. My dad fought with one for 2 months before they would finally cover the transfer case in his old YJ.

Hopefully for your sake you have oil change receipts from the time he's owned it because that's what they'll try to base it off of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup, unfortunately we always changed oil ourselves using strictly Mobil1 and all he has are the dates, no miles. I'm thinking it will be a long battle and I don't think we will like the results....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts