Jeep Patriot Forums banner

121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whine in the engine and a "clank" in the clutch

Ive had my patriot for six months. Bought in April with 29 miles on it. I treated her like a baby for the first 1,000 miles and don't think i've revved over 4500 rpms yet, having just turned 11,000. I am glad to find this thread, because it proves that I am not totally insane. My manual started off pretty darn quiet. I would have noticed the whine immediately. Mine didn't start to be noticeable until around 2 or 3 g's. Unlike other posts my whine occurs at or above 35 mph, is loudest between 35 and 70, and occurs in in all gears 3 and higher. Same thing though, happens when you accelerate, dissapates as soon as you let your foot off the gas. Luckily it's quietest when going around 75 or 80. Kinda wish I would have done more homework, seeing how this has been a constant issue with the manual cheapies. Got it back from the dealership today and of course no noise heard, "normal gear noise for this drivetrain."I got another one for those with manual trans though. Does anyone experience a subtle "clank" in there clutch when they engage first gear or reverse when they first start their car. Ever saince I have owned the truck, when I first start out I feel this delayed engagement of something spring operated in my clutch, I can hear it as well....as I am letting my foot off the clutch I 'll roll about five feet and "clank" engaged. It only happens at the intitial start. Not after traffic lights etc. I have assumed this is some type of safetyu feature engaging the anit-roll or something. BUt the technician says he feels and/or hears nothing. Again, am I crazy, or is anyone feeling this same thing?

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
The whine is unfortunate, and I've read about the cause and solution on here before, but I don't remember what it was. As far as shifting in reverse goes, that sounds on the normal side. My trick when going in reverse is to press the clutch all the way in, gently pull the shifter into reverse, and while pulling the shifter gently ease up on the clutch until the shifter goes all the way in. Once the lever drops in all the way, you should be good to go. If it continues to clunk, try going even softer on the clutch.

It may or may not help, but if you're not doing that already, its worth a shot

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got another one for those with manual trans though. Does anyone experience a subtle "clank" in there clutch when they engage first gear or reverse when they first start their car. Ever saince I have owned the truck, when I first start out I feel this delayed engagement of something spring operated in my clutch, I can hear it as well....as I am letting my foot off the clutch I 'll roll about five feet and "clank" engaged. It only happens at the intitial start. Not after traffic lights etc. I have assumed this is some type of safetyu feature engaging the anit-roll or something. BUt the technician says he feels and/or hears nothing. Again, am I crazy, or is anyone feeling this same thing?
I have a 2012 manual 4x4 and experience the same thing. Start it up when cold, roll a few feet, and get the clank. To me it doesn't sound 'wrong' and I don't get the impression its damaged or broken, just does it once and that's it. Restarting through the day, etc, it doesn't happen again. I figure it's just something in the drive line, maybe a clutch pack engaging/disengaging or something. I haven't given it much thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Brahma....I'm not too worried about it either. I posted my theory on another "clank" thread. I just kind of found it impossible that the tech didn't feel it. It was comical.....going back and forth across the the enclosed garage shuttting it of every time. In his defense I made him do it, twice, and I couldn't hear it standing next to it either. Made me question my sanity. Appreciate the post!

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
You know I tried to get the service manager to hear the noisy relay on my tow harness, but the service entrance had enough ambient noise that I couldn't even hear it. Yet whenever I drive in the still of night and put on my turn signal, its very pronounced

·
Registered
810 Posts
2013 4x4 5spd here with 900 miles. Got the whine in all forward gears at least. Not too loud but there.

Shop foreman at local dealer drove it with me and said it's normal. Nothing to worry about.

i asked about fluid and he said they check that with the PDI- post delivery inspection.

I told him that it was driven new from west virginia and he stated that that dealer would have done it.

I would still feel better knowing the fluid is fine but i suppose i will let it ride until the first check, if low, i will tell them and refill. I have a long warranty so am not worried.

i will get this documented once i pick up the car later today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same problem with my 2007 4WD Patriot. Its always been there, just getting progressively louder and now this morning its pretty loud and my check engine light came on. Only does it when I accelerate and only when in a higher gear.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have this same problem with my 2007 4WD Patriot. Its always been there, just getting progressively louder and now this morning its pretty loud and my check engine light came on. Only does it when I accelerate and only when in a higher gear.
How many miles u have akjeep girl?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Transmission Whine in 5th Gear

I just recently leased a 2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude and I am having the same problem with my vehicle. I have an annoying whine that starts around 65MPH and at higher speeds. I took the car back to the dealer and had the tech go for a ride. The tech also heard the sounds but they are just telling me that it was transmission whine. If anyone has any more info on this issue that I can take to the dealer it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just recently leased a 2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude and I am having the same problem with my vehicle. I have an annoying whine that starts around 65MPH and at higher speeds. I took the car back to the dealer and had the tech go for a ride. The tech also heard the sounds but they are just telling me that it was transmission whine. If anyone has any more info on this issue that I can take to the dealer it would be much appreciated.
wow..7 years later and they still haven't fix that problem....
I own an 07 compass with the 5 speed and the whine from the transaxle is almost unbearable at highway speeds.
this is without a doubt the worst vehicle I've ever owned..it was my first and will be my last Chrysler product.
The slave cylinder let go on it 2 weeks ago...that's when I discovered the k member was rusted so bad I could poke my finger through it.
These vehicles are complete junk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is crazy to see that this issue has been going on for this many years without a resolution. I was at the dealership tonight to grab my plates and I talked to my salesman about it and he wants me to print out the forum and talk to a service tech. I am going to stop up there tomorrow and I will let you know everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A Jeep dealer I have been working just called me to see if I had made any decisions. I brought up this issue and, of course, he was shocked and surprised, and even questioned the validity of the source(s). He said he's going to look into it and get back to me.

I'm really interested in the Patriot, but this one issue is holding me back. What I'm trying to figure out is the frequency of the issue. If only 0.2% of owners have this problem, that's one thing, but if it's 10%, that's something else entirely. I don't yet have a good enough sense of the probability. Given that manual Pats are, I believe, the least common configuration, it makes it that much harder to come up with odds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my Patriot to the dealer again and they took the car and put it on a lift to have an inspection. They came back and told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car even though I have had 2 techs confirm that they can hear the noise. I am going to call Chrysler directly about this issue to see what they will do. If I don't get anywhere with them I might try taking the car to another Jeep dealer to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine has been doing it since new. 24k miles now and hasn't really changed. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all but that's only before it has been driven for a while. To me its got to be fluid thinning out then letting whine noise present itself. Or perhaps even tires warming up but then cvts would have same noise. Also my whine at 65-76 is only there while pushing gas pedal. Let off gas and still in gear and noise vanishes. Also 4th gear in same speed range has same exact noise. So that tells me its related to output shaft on trans and not internal to trans. Also noticed that rock auto only sells a few parts for the manuals. One is the output shaft bearing. Wonder why???

could this be the issue.

My jeep dealers all say no problem found and is normal. Lol. And mine whines in lower gears accelerating all the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my compass has 151000 kilometers on it..I would think if it was bearing related..mine would have given up by now.
I swapped out the mounts for the "softer" ones..it helped a bit but as others are experiencing..it is very loud when you are accelerating. Mine seems to quiet down a bit after the car, trans warm up. I've checked the fluid in both the transaxle and transfer case and the transaxle was down in fluid. I topped it up and no difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2014 Jeep Patriot Transmission Whine

I am still dealing with the same issue and I am close to 4K miles now. I slammed my dealers service department survey when I received it by email hoping that someone would contact me but no one has. Mine does the same thing where the whine isn't so bad at times and then at other times it is extremely annoying while driving. This is my first Jeep and now it has me questioning if I want to buy a Jeep on my next purchase. So frustrating :mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Took my 14 5spd in today has had a whine since I got it new, about 4000 miles on it now. It was a little louder before but very clear on accel and coasting in gear at around 70 or so. Senior tech rode with me and said yep that's an issue there. Thinks it's in the ring and pinion not meshing right. Gonna send it up to Jeep so they can get the tranny back after they swap in a new one. Not thrilled about this but not much to be done I suppose.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Took my 14 5spd in today has had a whine since I got it new, about 4000 miles on it now. It was a little louder before but very clear on accel and coasting in gear at around 70 or so. Senior tech rode with me and said yep that's an issue there. Thinks it's in the ring and pinion not meshing right. Gonna send it up to Jeep so they can get the tranny back after they swap in a new one. Not thrilled about this but not much to be done I suppose.
My dealer has told me its normal time and time again. If they fix it please let me know how! I have 30k miles now and its there all the time except coasting which is different than your symptom?

121 - 140 of 178 Posts