Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else with a 5spd manual had a top gear acceleration whine? I have brought my Pat in to the dealer twice now for this and now they are saying it is a normal sound and they can't/won't fix it! They themselves went on a test ride and heard the noise, which occurs in 5th gear only and when you depress the gas pedal, as soon as you lift your foot the sound is gone until you step on the gas again. It is a high pitched sound that resonates throughout the interior and drives you crazy. The service supervisor called it "a top gear acceleration whine" and said it was due to the way the gears are cut. In top gear he stated that two gears must be touching in a way as to whine. He drove a Dodge Caliber with the same transmission and said it made the noise worse than my Pat and that I should be content with mine!! He wasn't willing to put in a new tranny because he is convinced it would also make the whine noise, maybe worse. He said there is no TSB for this and no reports of other owners complaining about this either. Is there anyone else out there experiencing this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't have this problem that I have noticed. Do you have the FWD model or the 4X4? I had a bad whine once, in a pickup truck I had, turned out to be a bone dry rear diff.

Sounds like your dealer doesn't want to deal with it to me.

Edit: Just saw that your ride is just like mine, and mine does not do that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what I thought, they're shrugging off the problem. They don't have any other 5spd manuals on the lot to compare to just a Dodge Caliber which they say makes the same noise therefore it's normal! Can you believe that? I don't know where to go from here, I may have to pose as a new buyer at another dealer to sneak a test drive on a manual to prove my point. What a hassle, Chrysler should be ashamed! Any other suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW to everyone out there with a manual transmission... can you please respond as to whether or not you have experienced any gear "whine" noises in 5th gear? Even if you haven't experienced this sound please let me know so as to have more support for my argument that this is not normal. Maybe if I show them that several 5spd owners don't have this issue they will accept the fact that my problem is not an inherent characteristic of the tranny.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Goya!

I posted this on 5/30/08:

"I just got home from the dealer with my new Patriot Sport 2WD with the 5 speed. There is a very noticible high pitched whine which peaks in volume at 70mph in 5th gear. Seems to be tranny noise and not tire noise because it is not present in nuetral at that speed. And it vanishes/fades out when throttle is lifted and speed drops to 65 to 68 mph. It also fades out about 72 to 75mph. Is this common? It's quiet other than that. Anyone else experiencing this?"

I got one reply saying his noise vanished at 1500 miles. I'm now at 600 miles but no change yet. It's maddening, the resonant high pitched tone that sounds like it's at about 1khz. What can we do about this? If it were not for the whine, my Patriot would be soooo quiet at speed! I literally can't drive for long at 70mph. It drives me nuts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hidez, you described the noise and conditions for it PERFECTLY! (including the drive you nuts part) I now have 4,700 miles on my 2008 Pat which I bought in Jan. and it hasn't faded or gone away at all, I think it's here to stay. Now I need to find a way to get Chrysler to acknowledge it! We all need to call Chrysler at 1800-992-1997 and complain. My service supervisor said they won't do a thing if only one person complains and that there is no record of other owner's complaints. Hearing Jeepasaurus Tex and RichJet5353 responses tells me THIS IS NOT NORMAL. I envy you guys because the noise really is annoying. I'm calling again today and I'm going to speak to Chrysler about the situation as well, I'll post what they say, which unfortunately will probably be nothing. BTW the dealer still has my Pat...I didn't want to pick it up until I had some more ammo in my arsenal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I wish mine went away! I'll keep wishing because so far Chrysler and my dealership are saying they are aware of the problem and that many people are experiencing it but this is a noise that is not fixable and they aren't going to address it. VERY DISAPPOINTING!! Typical, they have your money and now could care less about customer satisfaction. Makes me regret buying a Jeep to be honest. I wanted to buy American and this is what I get.

·
Registered
97 Posts
70MPH is EXACTLY when I start noticing the whining noise throughout the cabin on my '08 Pat' 4x2 5spd manual.

At least it's a constant pitch, and can tune it out. It's almost like white noise to me.

It's almost sounds like the hollowness of the hard plastic that surrounds you amplify the noise like a bell. I don't know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Goya,

When you say: "...dealership are saying they are aware of the problem and that many people are experiencing it but this is a noise that is not fixable and they aren't going to address it." Are they saying "many people" meaning just at your dealership or do you think they are referring to all of us out here?
I will report back my feedback from Chrysler/Jeep as well, if any.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I envy those of you who don't have this issue, for the rest of us there's no remedy. Chrysler is standing by the dealership and is stating that it is an acceptable noise that doesn't require fixing despite customer dissatisfaction. No one has been pleasant to deal with about this either, my service supervisor is smug and the Chrysler customer service agent could care less about the issue. They have no plans to fix this now or in the future so I guess as part of the Patriot driving experience I'll have to include cotton balls for my ears! Unbelievable lack of action and for a brand new vehicle too! Shame on Jeep Chrysler.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hidez,

They were referring to all of us out here. I may be the only guy who bought a manual trans. from my dealer here in Phoenix, AZ. Let me know if you have any luck getting action on this. I'm hitting wall after wall and just now I had a higher level Chrysler customer service rep tell me they aren't doing anything about it. I wonder if the Lemon Law is applicable here? What a hassle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Goya,

As you mention in an earlier post, I agree that the fact that there is inconsistancy in the whine, that it happens for some and not for others, makes their argument pretty weak that it's "normal" and not fixable or addressable. Like you say, even if we owners with the noise are in the minority it only lends credibility to the fact that it is not how the transmission should behave.

I read every on-line review of the Patriot I could find before purchasing mine. The transmission whine issue, or anything remotely like it, was never mentioned in any of them. I think you can safely assume none of the vehicles submitted for review had the noise. It's something anyone driving the vehicle would notice. It's even audible to people I call on my mobile phone while driving!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Goya,

I asked my friend at C/J to have a look at this thread. Hopefully we will see more posts from 5 speed owners. Note I edited my previous post after you responded to it.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Mine vehicle makes a good humming sound around 100km/h......can't say it's the transmission though, sounds like the tires to me.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts