1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Not Sponsored
6,824 Posts
I'm not sure how a plastic spacer is going to work...
Plus the "universal" tag means it may require some work.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
4" lift for $60? Run, quickly, in the opposite direction.

A 4" lift will destroy your axles - you can go 2.5" MAXIMUM before you need to do custom mods to either the CV joints, and/or the subframe/suspension geometry.

You could give me $60 for this advice and still have a functional vehicle, however... :D

Seriously, the only viable options on the market today are:
-RRO lift
-Stu's coils
-larger wheel-&-tire combo

Beyond that, you're on your own (or getting that wacky subframe kit from China).

EDIT: These are specifically for cars riding on that particular brand of airbags. These have no place on any other vehicle. Take a look at how each "puck" is hollowed in 4 sections. The outer ring will bear all the vehicles weight, as long as both the top and bottom of the puck are placed on flat surfaces. The shock tower in a Patriot wouldn't accommodate these things in the least, and those 4 plastic ribs in the middle of the puck would collapse as soon as you set the Patriot down on its own body weight. Any deformation of the shape of those pucks would cause them to snap over time.

Not trying to be overbearing, but seeing that you're a new guy to the forum, looking for a cheap lift option (and hey, $60 is cheap!), I'm assuming you don't have the information handy that the rest of us do, and it would be a shame to see you waste $60 and a few hours of your time at best (or potentially injure/kill yourself or someone else at worst), it's only right to dissuade you from thinking this is an option.

If you decide to invest in their proprietary airbag suspension system, that's another thing entirely, since these pucks are made to work with that. But for our purposes, these will NOT work with the stock Patriot suspension, as a stand-alone lift kit.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
That is for a body on frame vehicle. Like a wrangler. the patriot is unibody. That would not work in the slightest.

I mean you might be able to drop your front and rear subframes, but that would mean dropping your engine, and everything else... which would not be a smart thing to do, as you are just raising your center of gravity without actaully giving yourself a lift, AND you would still need a spacer like the RRO to push the suspension down anyways. No I would not waste your money on this.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
That is for a body on frame vehicle. Like a wrangler. the patriot is unibody. That would not work in the slightest.

I mean you might be able to drop your front and rear subframes, but that would mean dropping your engine, and everything else... which would not be a smart thing to do, as you are just raising your center of gravity without actaully giving yourself a lift, AND you would still need a spacer like the RRO to push the suspension down anyways. No I would not waste your money on this.
But if i push the subframe and LCAs down far enough, I can eventually fit some 33" mudders on my Pat! :D

/sarcasm, of course.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies, I think I'll just stick to my stock Pat for now.
Honestly, your best bet is to save up and get Stu's coils. That seems to have become everyone's final destination for lifts here, and nobody that I can recall has had a complaint yet. Not to undercut the RRO lift, but the trend seems to be stock -> RRO -> Stu's. Might as well save yourself $300 and just get the Stu's kit.

[Not a paid advertisement. I have no affiliation with Stu Murchison nor his company. I'm actually more interested in seeing Patriots go lower, not higher. :D]

Then you can fit larger tires, which will get you up even further.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good to me. I just bought new tires so I'll hold off till I need new ones then I'll lift er up.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
And if you're looking to keep your 5 yr 100,000mi warranty ~28" is the tallest tire you can get. Stupid computer can only be programmed with stock tire sizes.

edit -- Unless you have a competent dealership. They will know to adjust the pinion factor. Then you can put any size on, although they charge $100+ dollars just to do it...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
And if you're looking to keep your 5 yr 100,000mi warranty ~28" is the tallest tire you can get. Stupid computer can only be programmed with stock tire sizes.
I run a larger diameter tire, and just try to remember that when my speedo says I'm going 60, I'm actually going closer to 65.

But i often forget...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looks like the current Stu Coil's are black.. any reason I couldn't spray them with yellow enamel or some other color before getting them installed?

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,133 Posts
I haven't been able to find any more info other than that insane body lift from china. I'd be interested in that, but would make it look a little more tasteful than the example that they had posted. It's a shame there isn't more info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.