CVT Transmission Fluid And Filter Change - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

CVT Transmission Fluid And Filter Change

I have done a search but I havent seen any posts regarding the CVT fluid and filter change. Is it just a straightforward remove pan, fluid and filter and put the new filter and gasket in and fill her up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Aussie Patriot Legend

Send a message via MSN to zbee Send a message via Skype™ to zbee
to retain the lifetime warranty get a dealer to do it, the fluid is expensive and you need special tools aswell, this is one job that is a dealership must do

mine has really really big wheels now245/70/r17
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

I had thought the fluid and filter needed to be changed at 36000 miles but I looked again and it says 60k. Should I really wait that long?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:29 PM

60k is the sever service interval, the "regular service" interval is 120k miles. The fluid costs in excess of $20 a quart and it will take 8-9 quarts.

From looking at the service manual the actual process is just like any other automatic. Drop the pan, change the filter, install new pan gasket and refill. It is the refilling that is the rub- there is not a dipstick for the transmission- instead a special tool (essentially a graduated wire cable with a handle) is used, the temperature of the fluid is measured and then a table in the service manual is consulted that tells at what mark on the tool the fluid should be at.

Me, I plan to have a dealership take care of this service when the time comes.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Aussie Patriot Legend

Send a message via MSN to zbee Send a message via Skype™ to zbee
i agree, i had mine done but i do extreme traveling, best left to dealers as not worth the possible grief doing it youre self

mine has really really big wheels now245/70/r17
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to todde702
You can use the oil dipstick. When I first brought my Pat home, I noticed no trans dipstick. So I pulled the oil dip stick, wiped it clean then inserted it fully into the CVT fill/check tube. The oil level read at the one quart low mark on the oil dip stick. Doesn't tell me if it's full or low or anything, but at least I know it's at the same level as it was delivered to me.

-Todd
08 Sport 4x4 FDI Silver, CRD Stu's Coil Springs, Mud Flaps, Weathertech vent shades, TAG Rear Bumper
Carr Lightwing, Pilot Navigator Driving Lights, K&N Air Filter and a jp.com decal

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 AM

Now that man deserves a whole hearted job well done and a golf clap. Daaaaaaamn, why didn't I think of that! Good work Todd.
hvac59

White 01 WJ(stock 4.7 limited QD1)
White 08 MK(2.4 CVT limited FD1)

Last edited by hvac59; 03-18-2009 at 05:29 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 AM

My HHR has no dipstick. Not even a place to stick the oil dipstick. The manual says the only way fluid can escape is thru a leak. Nothing on the ground? You ain't got a leak. Don't worry about it. But the dealer couldn't tell me how he knew the fluid was OK on delivery. Good test for a quick oil change place's honesty. Ask how the trans fluid level was.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
The CVT Trans is not a User Servicable part!! It is basically a sealed for life Unit. The fluid level is checkable , using special Depth/Temp euipment , by the dealer. The special fluid, whitch contains rubber granuels for belt adhesion, has its fist Check & change at 60.000 miles.As this system works under amazingly high pressure to actuate the belt/pully system. Its not a system I would attempt to do myself!!

Just swapped red Classic X , for, Green Auto SE " Spirit " 2.5 Petrol Limited edition X still 4x4,

Ex 07 Patriot CRD Sport , UK ( with lots of chrome goodies )
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 AM

So has anyone hit the 60k mark yet, i wanna know how much the fluid change is gonna cost. And has anybody changed the fluid in your diffs yet. How involved is that if so. I have looked a t them and afraid it may be a dealer service as well
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM

CVT fluid change

I was told $250 for trans fluid change. The same dealer said they would sell me the mopar trans fluid at a discounted price of $18 per quart since they had lost their Jeep dealership because of the bankruptcy and reorganization of Chrysler.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Check out miller tools 9336A thats what i have. I'm going to do my cvt service at 100000 kms.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 AM

I've heard you can get Nissan CVT fluid for the Rogue for $15 a quart at the Nissan dealer. That might save a little money over the Chrysler stuff considering Nissan owns the company that made the transmission.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejeepzj View Post
So has anyone hit the 60k mark yet, i wanna know how much the fluid change is gonna cost. And has anybody changed the fluid in your diffs yet. How involved is that if so. I have looked a t them and afraid it may be a dealer service as well
Changing the differential fluid is easy (it takes standard gear oil) and most independent garages can do it quickly and cheaply. I can't remember what my mechanic charged but it was pretty nominal.

I have about 80,000 miles and am waiting until somewhere between 100,000 - 120,000 miles to change the CVT fluid. I called several dealers and they want between $250 - $300 to change it (it goes for $18/quart).

I have the Lifetime Warranty and am operating under the normal maintenance schedule. If anything happens, I'm hoping that my local dealer will have my back in terms of warranty claims -- I've bought several cars from them and given them several thousand of dollars in maintenance.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 PM

Red face

Update, as a aircraft mechanic and former ASE certified mechanic I will tell you everything above is typical internet garbage from those who post nonsense about things they do not understand. Napa has the dipstick 605-1677 @ under $25. It comes with a chart as the fluid level is temp dependent. They also have the filter and gasket NAPA Part #1-5510. It is straight forward transmission filter change, be sure to wipe out pan and clean the 2 magnets thoroughly. Valvoline makes a Full synthetic CVT fluid that is CVTF4 chrysler compatible. Part #804751. I recommend changing before 100K miles as it already dirty (very black) by then and then every 50K miles as much fluid remains in trans during drain. The owners manual recommends 60K for severe duty and 120K miles normal service. This applies to 2007-2011 Patriot with CVT transmission. The fluid required will depend on how hot trans was when drained and how long it drained. Most require under 7qts but I would have a 8th around just in case. Add 5qts and then check, add, check until in middle of zone. Any dipstick that touches the bottom will also do as it is measured in millimeters and one could scribe the back of the oil dipstick so you always have it with you. Measured from bottom of stick 32mm works from 50F to 170 F. It would be the high mark @ 50F and the low @ 170F. 28mm to 36mm works from 70F to 125F trans fluid temp with low for 70F and high for 125F. I posted more details here: What brand CVTF+4 Transmission Fluid CAN you use in 09' Patriot?

Last edited by PheasantPete; 11-16-2015 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added internal link to a post with more detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode