Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(As requested by spi8a in another thread - I thought the information would be more accessible in a thread of its own.)

Well, I've had my Yokohama G012's now five days and have driven some... 600km was it? with them. All driving has thus far been on asphalt - it might be a while before I get any off-roading results worth mentioning (unless I get into another one of those surprise situations that tend to happen to me, that is). In other words this is strictly first impressions only. I do plan to update this thread as I clock more kilometers on my tires, especially if I notice something worth pointing out. Any and all others who run Yokohama G012, feel free to add your input. :)

The tire shop that had these tires was some 200km away. Fortunately, it was our winter holiday so we decided to solve this problem by making a day-trip out of the whole thing and go see the sights in a new city. :) As I really didn't feel like dragging my winter tires around all day long, we mounted the old Continentals the previous day. This had the positive side of giving me a good side-by-side comparison between the stock tires and the Yokohama A/T-S. (I checked tire pressures before leaving, so both tires were run with correct pressures.) I had commented earlier that my old tires were well worn but seemed to have misremembered - there was a good bit of tread left, enough for another summers worth of use. (This didn't matter to me because I wanted an All-Terrain tire anyway.)

I chose the size 225/65/17. I had my doubts that aesthetically, they might appear a tad small for my Jeep since I have a 2" lift, however to my eyes at least they appear to be exactly the right size. (I don't care for the style where the tires seem to be hugging the wheel well very closely, I like a little air between my tires and the vehicle - some room for them to move in, you see.) Definite improvement on the looks! My Patriot looks more like a real Jeep with these tires. :) Girlfriend and dog both immediately commented on the increase of ground clearance, too. Looking good!

(I will add pictures later - Photobucket is being a 'tard to my computer. Stupid Flash sites, built to run on Windows only. :mad: )

Over all, on-road performance with the Yokohama tires is impressive! The ride is smoother than with the stock tires, these tires take the worst out of bumps much better than the stock tires. There is a low, very quiet and not in any way unpleasant "growl" that the Continentals (you need to drive pretty slow to pick this out, and to me it just underlines the fact that I've got proper tires underneath my Jeep now :D ) lack but otherwise, new G012's are much quieter than the Continentals, especially at highway speeds! (120...140km/h or about 80mph-ish.) This was a big surprise for me as I was expecting somewhat more noise. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. :D spi8a was concerned of dry traction, but unnecessarily in my opinion. These are no mud terrain tires, while there is more void in the tread than a regular, on-road only, summer tire, the tread is comparable to your usual winter tire. Not enough void there to be conserned about, especially considering that this is no racing tire. Unfortunately, as I've had my girlfriend and dog as passengers the whole week and they disapprove of aggressive driving tests, I haven't really put the tires through their paces. I did not notice and difference at cornering when going around a few turns at a rather brisk pace, but the softer ride would make me think that if I were to push the envelope, there might be a small loss there. Thus far this is mere speculation though.

There are two negative issues with this tire: compared to the original Continentals, fuel consumption is somewhat higher - not terribly so, but there is a slight increase. A larger (still not a large one, but larger) negative issue is that braking power is noticeably reduced. Previously, a mere slight tap of the brake pedal would give an immediate effect, now with the larger tires a harder push is required. It is not a big effect, and one I was able to quickly adapt to, but there is a slight change in braking. Oh and a third, weird issue: for some reason my tires rub when turning the wheel all the way right! When turning left, there is no rubbing whatsoever. When turning right, the wheel has to be turned absolutely all the way, so this is not a major issue - a fraction from full lock and no more rubbing. It is just weird, as this tire size should definitely fit sans rubbing, especially with a lifted Jeep. Update: turns out the tire does hit the side of the wheel well at about the same place that those who run 235 wide tires report their rubbing. Weird.

To make a long ramble short, here's the summary:

Positive:

• Looks
  • Lack of road noise
  • Smoother ride
  • Increased ground clearance

Neutral:

• Quiet, low growling sound from the tire tread

Negative:

• Slightly reduced effectiveness in braking
  • Slight increase in fuel consumption

My opinion at this time:

These are a good tire for a Jeep. Smooth, quiet, comfortable ride combined with the ability to leave the asphalt - just what a daily driver Jeep needs! If you want street racing tires, due to the effect (although a small one) on braking I can't really recommend them.

Edit: Okay, here are the photos!

First, a general look at how my 'riot sits now:

Okay, now taking a closer look:

And here's a look at the tread pattern:

·
Registered
511 Posts
that's very good info. Great job my good friend. Now everyone could have some knowlegde about yoko's. Very good write up my friend. A lot of people will need this info and it's great.

Thanks a lot for taking time to write up for me

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice write up. I also have been looking at the yoko's in that size. Could the braking issue be because of the crappy brakes chrysler uses? I have noticed that I have to use a little more pressure to stop. I have over 11,000 miles now and am looking to upgrade the brakes.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've used Yoko's three times now as replacements for oem on three different types of vehicles. I've always been pleased with the result.

Nice review. Show us some pics when photobucket de-tards.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
come on Tony, you should know by now...
Hey, you can get the info right away and pictures when I get to a computer Photobucket likes to work with, or you can get nothing right away and maybe a short post with pictures later. I figured this was a better solution. :)

Alas, no good picture yet about the rubbing. I'll take one as soon as I can remember to.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the 225/65/17 Geolandar AT-S's and haven't noticed any rubbing, but maybe I'll check again.
Other than the fuel economy drop you noticed, I haven't found any defect with the tires. So far, they've been excellent.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I chose the size 225/65/17. I had my doubts that aesthetically, they might appear a tad small for my Jeep since I have a 2" lift,
I disagree! They look perfectly sized. Too much tire is, well, too much tire.

(I will add pictures later - Photobucket is being a 'tard to my computer. Stupid Flash sites, built to run on Windows only. :mad: )
didn't catch that part... Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I disagree! They look perfectly sized. Too much tire is, well, too much tire.
If you look again, you'll note that we actually agree. :) My worry was just speculation based on photos I've seen of the tires (those 225/65/17 tires look smaller in pictures than in real life).

Like you said, when looking at the Jeep in real life, the tire is indeed the perfect size for it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I got a few quick snaps of the tire rub on the way to work. This is front right wheel well.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That's bad to hear Tony. I hope when I'll wear them on my pariot I won't have the same issues as you.
Have you made any thoughts about it and have you find what to do about it. I think a good idea is to do some abrasion. Perhaps it will work. Have you find any other solutions

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Heyup Guys

I just placed an order for 4 of these today.

To replace the stock

215/60 Continental Premium Contact 2s £112.80 each £451.20 for the 4

So went for ...

The 225 Yokohama ATs were £130 each £520 for the 4 ...
The 235 Yokohama ATs were £150 each £600 for the 4 ...

First time I've ever spent £520 on tyres in one hit ... even my Audi A3 only set me back £300 for a set of Pirelli's

Ah well ... lets see how long these last ... Stocks lasted 23,000 miles and still have 1.8 mm or something ... Hopefully these perform better offroad and have a longer life.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's bad to hear Tony. I hope when I'll wear them on my pariot I won't have the same issues as you.
Since they only rub on the right, I'm thinking either the steering lets me turn my wheels to the right more than to the left, or the wheel wells are not quite symmetrical. Especially when factoring in all those who say they do not have any rubbing, I'd say this one is a fluke. Unlikely to be a problem for you.

Have you made any thoughts about it and have you find what to do about it. I think a good idea is to do some abrasion. Perhaps it will work. Have you find any other solutions
I was thinking about a Big Friggin' Hammer and a suitably aggressive mood... :) That, or I could ask the stealership to take a look-see about that steering. (But they would probably just return the Jeep back after the day with only a "there were no error codes in the computer"... :icon_rolleyes: )

·
Registered
511 Posts
Since they only rub on the right, I'm thinking either the steering lets me turn my wheels to the right more than to the left, or the wheel wells are not quite symmetrical. Especially when factoring in all those who say they do not have any rubbing, I'd say this one is a fluke. Unlikely to be a problem for you.

I was thinking about a Big Friggin' Hammer and a suitably aggressive mood... :) That, or I could ask the stealership to take a look-see about that steering. (But they would probably just return the Jeep back after the day with only a "there were no error codes in the computer"... :icon_rolleyes: )
perhaps if you checked the steering it would solve the problem. But in the other hand it might transfer the problem to the right wheel. You don't have nothing to loose my good friend tony

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time for an update. Went off-roading last weekend, terrain was dry forest and rock that at some parts had sand or gravel on top of it.

I lowered air pressure to 25PSI and just looking at the tires visually while on a flat sand field, they did not seem to deform much. On the other hand one person mentioned that when driving over a rock on the trail there did not seem to be very much air between the tire and rim, so she did not think the tire pressure could be lowered much. So, seems to me 25PSI is at least a good, safe starting pressure for off-roading.

I lost traction climbing two of the steepest climbs. First time, a gentle tug with a tow strap was all that was needed, but the second climb required winching. The guy who drove the Wrangler that winched me up felt that a more coarse tread pattern might have helped the climb quite a bit. Not really a huge surprise, that, as All-Terrain tires are always a compromise. It would seem that there still are no free lunches.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts