Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my first oil change with the Patriot. 5,000 miles ago just before I bought it my sister had the "90,000 mile service" done on it which included flushing the power steering and refilling it at a shop she uses. The tech at the oil change place checked the level and looked alarmed - then showed me that it was full of clear PS fluid instead of ATF. Not being sure of which fluid was correct I agreed to have them drain the system and refill it with proper ATF for $50 to avoid damage to the pump/seals/etc.

That was a fun surprise.

My question is: is Mopar Power Steering Fluid (which is also recommended for the Patriot) clear? If it is I'm pretty sure I just wasted $50... if it isn't, and the other shop screwed up - how much damage could have been done?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I just got back from my first oil change with the Patriot. 5,000 miles ago just before I bought it my sister had the "90,000 mile service" done on it which included flushing the power steering and refilling it at a shop she uses. The tech at the oil change place checked the level and looked alarmed - then showed me that it was full of clear PS fluid instead of ATF. Not being sure of which fluid was correct I agreed to have them drain the system and refill it with proper ATF for $50 to avoid damage to the pump/seals/etc.

That was a fun surprise.

My question is: is Mopar Power Steering Fluid (which is also recommended for the Patriot) clear? If it is I'm pretty sure I just wasted $50... if it isn't, and the other shop screwed up - how much damage could have been done?
no,they are right.
you should use atf 4+ and it is nor clear,it is red.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Always check the manual on this. A lot of people just top their tanks up with power steering fluid but quite a few vehicles use ATF instead. Did power steering on a celica last night and they use power steering fluid.

That being said, I should check because I may have put power steering fluid in the jeep last time. It was red/pink though and I'm pretty sure I checked the labels to make sure it was the right fluid.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Mopar Power Steering fluid is clear. I have some, and just checked.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I wonder now if the stuff that they flushed out was Mopar PS fluid... the paperwork from the work the previous owner had done doesn't specify what fluid was used.

I guess $50 is worth the peace of mind of knowing it has the right fluid in it now.

·
Registered
108 Posts

The Mopar PS fluid that goes in the Patriot? Or just Mopar power steering fluid? There are Dodges and Jeeps that use normal PS fluid and it is clear from Mopar. I've always thought that the Mopar stuff for the Patriot was red, but I could be wrong.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts