Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I have a small trailer (wired and ready) and a hitch installed on my Patriot. What I don't have, is the wiring from the Patriot to connect to my trailer.

I've included a photo of the suggested wiring for the vehicle that came with my trailer wiring kit. It mentions splitting wires when installing it to my taillight and brake light and such. I'm not an expert at this. Also, a photo taking a look inside the left rear taillight assembly. Not sure where to match the yellow (left) green (right) brown or white (ground) wires to what's here.

UPDATE: Adding two photos (see bottom of this post - look for the ones with the yellow arrows) and mentioning I plan to use a Tekonsha wiring kit I have purchased on eTrailer. The red wire seems to be it, as I've learned this is the "hot lead" but I just don't know exactly how to splice it and specifically at which spot to access the exact part of it I'll need. Admittedly, I don't know what the little connector is in the final picture with the yellow arrows but I thought I'd include it just in case I might need to access this for some reason.

The Tekonsha kit instructions want me to run a cord all the way to the battery but I would prefer not to do that and this, why I'm exploring this "hot lead" red wire behind the taillight assembly to power the kit instead.

If you can help me make this happen, I will owe you a steak or something. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
According to the documentation I have the "hot lead" is a connector with one Red/Violet wire on the left tail light side (see C323 in diagram below). I don't see this connector in the picture you posted.

I'm not 100% certain, but this hot lead may only be on vehicles that came with the factory trailer tow option installed.

I included the wiring diagram for the factory trailer tow option below. The "hot lead" is in the center of the diagram and goes to fuse 5 in the TIPM. If you want you can check to see if you have a fuse 5 present.

Note: the relays in the trailer tow diagram are part of the special factory trailer tow harness.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you pull the the wire and corment out of the body behind the left tail light you will find a wire taped to the harness, you can use it fo the hot wire for you trailer harness.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the documentation I have the "hot lead" is a connector with one Red/Violet wire on the left tail light side (see C323 in diagram below). I don't see this connector in the picture you posted.

I'm not 100% certain, but this hot lead may only be on vehicles that came with the factory trailer tow option installed.

I included the wiring diagram for the factory trailer tow option below. The "hot lead" is in the center of the diagram and goes to fuse 5 in the TIPM. If you want you can check to see if you have a fuse 5 present.

Note: the relays in the trailer tow diagram are part of the special factory trailer tow harness.

View attachment 90959

View attachment 90960
Thank you so much! Really appreciate it. Here's a couple of additional photos.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you pull the the wire and corment out of the body behind the left tail light you will find a wire taped to the harness, you can use it fo the hot wire for you trailer harness.
Thanks a lot! Is this it? What do I do with the red wire? Forgive my ignorance, I'll just need to know exactly where to access the wire and what to do to connect it to my kit. I feel like I'm getting close thanks to everyone's kind help! Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
You might want to unwrap the tape so the connector and wire are loose and easier to work with it.

I would verify the battery voltage at the connector pin, then pull fuse #5 and see if the power goes away to make sure it's the correct wire.

After that I'd look at the instructions that came with the kit to see how they want the power hooked up i.e. wire nut, quick splice, quick connect, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks k
You might want to unwrap the tape so the connector and wire are loose and easier to work with it.

I would verify the battery voltage at the connector pin, then pull fuse #5 and see if the power goes away to make sure it's the correct wire.

After that I'd look at the instructions that came with the kit to see how they want the power hooked up i.e. wire nut, quick splice, quick connect, etc.
Thank you so much for the kind reply!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I figured out the magic red wire situation. Just cut off the connector shown in the final photo I uploaded, above...spliced the red wire to the power wire from my kit...that was it. Much easier than I thought. Maybe someday I won't be afraid of working on a vehicle, haha. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wish I saw this earlier, would have made you a good deal on the factory wiring harness for trailer hookup. I traded my 2012 in and never installed it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts