Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What winter tires are you using, and what do you think of them?

My Patriot came with the tire size 215/60/17. There were hardly any choices for 17" and they were expensive too. I'm thinking of getting 16" rims instead for my winter set. I'll likely order 215/65/16 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice and 16" rims. I expect to get the whole package for $876 including tax, balance and installation (Toronto). Do think that's a good deal?

·
Registered
12 Posts
sound reasonable... I got hankook winter i-pike w409 last winter. I went for the 16" rims to... Awesome tires... I got them cheap at carmodifier.ca

·
Registered
11 Posts

My Patriot came with the tire size 215/60/17. There were hardly any choices for 17" and they were expensive too. I'm thinking of getting 16" rims instead for my winter set. I'll likely order 215/65/16 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice and 16" rims. I expect to get the whole package for $876 including tax, balance and installation (Toronto). Do think that's a good deal?

I have the Toyo observe G02+ in 16 inch on the patriot. (1032$ with rims)

The Ultragrip Ice are on the wifes car and I really dont like them at all.

went to OK tire in barrie

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the 16" good year ultra, from canadian tire. used to have them on my PT. Great friggin tire. Never got stuck, never had to shovel either' and to boot they come with a warranty.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I use my stock Wrangler SR-A's. I find them fine with the FDI in Toronto winters.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Car tires I've used Mastercraft Glacier Grip II's and Firestone Winterforce

Truck tires - Mastercraft Courser MSR

All 3 work great.

·
Level 3 Supporter
758 Posts
Winter Tire Review - previously posted by me in another thread

Ok I worked my way through pages of threads from last winter and summarize the thoughts of many valued members as follows (not scientific, hence I do not reference individual member remarks):

Of course there was the debate of all season vs. winter tires (common sense should prevail based on your winter climate)

Some members have chosen an AT and keep that tire on twelve months of the year.

There was compliments of the stock wranglers but it appeared that most members intended to buy a set of winters if not for their first winter, then most likely for their second winter of Patriot ownership

Also some discussion of going from the 17" rim to a 16" rim for better selection of winter tires, and a leaning towards separate rims (often just a basic set) for winter due to road "crud" during the winter.

Most members not willing to fork out the $60 per sensor for winters and just dealing with the idiot light for the winter months.

Specific mentions in order of times mentioned (i tried to not double count when specific members replied in multiple threads):

AT
General Grabber AT
Yoko Geolander AT
BFG AT KO

Winter
Firestone Winterforce
Hankook W411
Toyo Observe G02
Bridgestone Blizzaks
General Altimax Arctics
Goodyear Nordics

You can start your search at tirerack.com and tire ratings also available at www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=97. In Canada, you could start your search at 1010tires.com. Also note that all the major brands of course have their own websites which can easily be found using google.

I have not started looking yet but it might be a little easier than last year when all the tires went to Quebec to meet their legal requirements. Although in the Pacific Northwest there could be a bit of a "rush" as everyone remembers last winter.

Note estimated total cost of separate winters (CDN$)
Tires $120 - $200
Basic winter Rims $60 - $90
TPMS $60 - $75
All in anywhere between $960 - $1500 total investment

Folks in canada can look at redflagdeals.com where posters contribute to what is on sale where and there is an automotive section.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I like to have winter (snow and ice) tires on seperate rims, but going to 16" would mean buying a new spare tire and wheel too, although no one mentioned that.

I have a set of 4 chains I use off road in winter, especially when there's inches of ice under the snow, which is typical for me.

I would like another set of wheels I could leave snow tires on though, and then maybe get something a bit less agressive for summer. But I do go off road all year long.

Nice to get other folks opinions on these things, and lessons learned, so thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Also some discussion of going from the 17" rim to a 16" rim for better selection of winter tires, and a leaning towards separate rims (often just a basic set) for winter due to road "crud" during the winter.

One thing to consider is keep your 17 inch rim for your winter tire and go with 16 inch rim for your non-winter tire. There are many winter tires in 17 inch, but not many aggressive tires in the 17 inch size (just because aggressive, doesn't mean its good in snow). Put your non-winter tire on the 16 inch room so you have more tire options (especially if you want an AT tire).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I worked my way through pages of threads from last winter and summarize the thoughts of many valued members as follows (not scientific, hence I do not reference individual member remarks): ........

........ Folks in canada can look at redflagdeals.com where posters contribute to what is on sale where and there is an automotive section.
Thanks for all the great info. Here is a great threat about tire rebates from redflagdeals.com

The Official Tire Rebate Thread [Updated: 17-Sep-2009 for Fall/Winter Rebate Offers]
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721854

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
TOYO Open Country W/T 215/60/17
nice résults and not any problem in snow!:smiley_thumbs_up:
x2, but in 16". Open Country are pretty much the same than the G02+, but for VUS. Very nice tire!!!:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had 215/65/16 Hankook W409s on black steelies last winter and they were amazing. Not one complaint.

This winter I decided to change things up. I'm going to be running 237/70/16 Bridgestone DM-Z3 on moabs.

Problem is now I think i want to run moabs all year long. :doh:

·
Registered
472 Posts
i also live in toronto.
i got my rims powder coated(16 inch steelies) for 200 CAN
went to buffalo got general grabbers at2 installed for 506 CAN.
paid 75 CAN for Duty.

total 780 CAN.
if your in or aroud the same range. go to the states and that way youll end up spending the same money out of your pocket, but youll get ur rims powder coated to:smiley_thumbs_up:.

i have yet to post a picture.

with the dollar almsot par. you should really consider going to the states.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Hi, Im in Markham and Im looking for new tires/rims as well. I stupidly bought 16" when I purchased the vehicle with steelies, and now i want some nicer rims. I made a decision that i dont mind having 16", so what Id like to do is use the steelies for snows and buy new 16" rims for the radials that came with the vehicle. The rubber has got tons of life left.
Can advise me where you went shopping for your snows, and did they have a good selection of 16" rims? You mentioned they had no selection of 17". Just wondering.
You know after all these years of my driving this is the 1st time that i am finally convinced that i should get snow tires.The Ministry of transportation and the city response time to plough and salt during storms is getting slower and slower, meanwhile the cops say the increase in accidents is always caused by the drivers. What about their responsibility????:doh:
Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going with Hercules Avalanche(studded) for my Pat this year, ran the wranglers for the first two years and last winter they were terrible in the slush just after a storm. They will be mounted on my stock 17's, and in the spring I'll get nice 16's rims for some aggresive off road tires and getting lifted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That will be my 1st winter with my Patriot.

After talking with patriotpierre ( he also resides in province of quebec, Canada ) and his precious information, I've decided to opt for the Toyo Observe G02 + (215/65/17).

At first, I was supposed to mount them on my original 17" wheels but in the end, I decided to buy 4 X17" rims. I've bought the whole kit and it cost me 1100 $, this includes all taxes + mounting/balancing + a place to store my other set.

I will have them installed on November 11. I will comment after a few months of using.

PS: as you can see my english might be better but at least, I try.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
My previous Dodge Grand Caravan came with 16 inch wheels. Last winter I purchased 4 Bridgestone/Firestone WINTERFORCE tires for it..they were super and I am located in N.Ont where we get lots of snow and ice..so when I purchased my PAT back in May, I kept the Winterforce tires and sold the caravan rims as they did not fit the Pat..wrong hole pattern... However, my PAT came with 17 inch rims (Pat Limited) so I have bought 4 16 inch black rims to fit the Pat, and I'll be mounting the WinterForce tires on them ..in fact, I have arranged for installation this week....there is little difference in tire circumference between the 17 and 16's so it will be interesting to see how the Winterforce tires and my 4x4 Pat will handle this winters lousy weather...

:eek:

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Last year I bought my winter tires and rims. I had wanted 16" Toyo Open Country G-02 plus, but they were unavailable. I instead picked up Yokohama IT-S GE-072 (in 215/70 R16). It was $1115.22 CDN, tax included, for tires, 16" steel rims and install with Nitrogen.

RE: Spare Tire Substitution:
My summer tires are the Wranglers on 17" alloy rims.

Contrary to what someone else mentionned earlier, only the outer diameter of the tire is important, and the mounting studs.

I use a winter 16" wheel (215/70R16 tire) as a spare in the summer, and a summer 17" wheel (215/65R17 tire) as a spare in the winter; The donut sits in my garage. I did this so that if I damaged a tire off-road, that I could still get out. I don't think the donut would work well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts