Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:

During the last two weeks, we have had enough snow to allow me to get a good feel for how my Patriot (4x4, manual trans) is in the snow (with original equipment tires to boot).

From my perspective, I have to say I am very pleasantly amazed! We had 8 inches of snow and I was able to simply navigate out without getting stuck, or having a tire spin or any issue at all. My wife's minivan (FWD) by comparison was slipping and sliding and struggling, and I would not have even tried it in my old truck (2WD).

I felt very confident and safe in all the conditions I have met thus far, from 8 inches of fresh snow, to drifts, to hard packed snow/ice on the roads, and my Patriot has served me very well. The little beast has started smoothly even in 0 degree (F) weather. And the array of gadgets (my Patriot is stock, but to me anyhow it has a helluva lot more fun gadgets than any car I have owned so far, my older cars were bare bones too) is amazing for a bare bones vehicle. I purposefully tried to test the limits of handling in a parking lot and finally got the traction control light to turn on briefly but still felt very safe and secure, and I tried out the anti-lock breaks, and they worked like a charm.

So, overall, I am VERY pleased with my purchase in the late Spring of this year. And, like everyone says... keep in mind that 4 wheel drive is good to HELP YOU OUT, but you still need to drive sensibly and safely.

PipeTobacco

·
Registered
457 Posts
And, like everyone says... keep in mind that 4 wheel drive is good to HELP YOU OUT, but you still need to drive sensibly and safely.

PipeTobacco

Excellent! People often over estimate their ability and the capability of their 4 wheel drive.

While I haven't driven in much snow, I can say the patriot does well on ice.

- Dan M

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I was driving my Tracker this past weekend. And while it does really well in snow, even in 6-8 inches of snow over 4 inches of ice off-road, it did really well. The draw back with it over the Patriot is on the road.

On the road, the Patriot will be FWD, unless needed then it's AWD. This really comes in handy on the hard roads this time of year. When I come around a bend and the road goes from dry as a bone to covered in snow and ice from the wind blowing over the road, I'm confident in the Patriot. If in the Tracker I would need to shift into 4x4 to handle that. Then get out of 4x4 as soon as the road is dry again.

So on the road, the Patriot is the better 4x4 system IMHO. Other 4x4's should never be in 4x4 on hard road surfaces. That can be sort of tricky for road conditions this time of year.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
See, i think i missed out not getting a 4x4 Pat. I see my traction control kick in quite often, as the torque causes the front tires to break loose on the usually-wet pavement of the NW USA.

Tried taking the Pat up a relatively shallow, packed-snow incline not long ago, and could NOT get forward traction to save my life. In fact, i even started to slide backwards at one point, though i was in first gear, throttling as gently as possible. Eventually had to roll back into a dry area, get a run at it, and use my momentum to crawl up the hill. Once i was moving, it was no issue, but getting any initial bite was impossible.

I blame the tires, mostly, but 4x4 would certainly have come in handy. For what its worth, I've got Yoko Geolandar AT-S (225's). They're great on dry pave, but i'm not impressed in cold or wet conditions.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
keep in mind that 4 wheel drive is good to HELP YOU OUT, but you still need to drive sensibly and safely.

PipeTobacco
Why doesn't it say that all over the sun visor like the countless warnings about the air bag? :doh:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been having a blast driving in the snow. We've avoided the deep stuff, but have had a lot of dry, slippery snow with single-digit temps. I've tested my Pat in the empty side of parking lots, pushing it until the traction light flickers on. I have the stock Eagle LS-2s with 12k miles, and they seem to be doing the job.

I had the same problem with my old Cherokee as Dixie with his Tracker; the Cherokee had the Command-Trac (part time) system, so I had to pay attention and flick it in and out of 4x4 mode when the road changed from dry to snow covered. I envied the Selec-Trac (full time) system on my wife's Liberty. With traction control, my Pat seems more sure-footed than the Liberty, even though the Libby has better tires. Can't wait until I can upgrade the Pats' tires.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the post Pipe Tobacco - i agree with you! I was very skeptical at first, but slowly becoming a believer. We haven't had enough snow yet it Pgh to really test it, but the conditions I've encountered so far gave me no problem. The weight of it alone over my prior car is an asset. You are absolutely correct, 4WD does not make you safe. Safety comes from the driver and you seem very sensible. I am too - in all conditions. I don't want anything to happen to this vehicle. Everyone I know who owns a 4WD says it's a "beast", but I think you are right - I've already said about mine "she's a little beast"! Happy Driving! p.s. (I got stock tires too, was worried at first but I am getting over it)

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Don't you Guys Know that you never underestimate your Jeep Patriot or any Jeep, just my opinion.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The first snowfall which was pretty heavy I had the Pat locked in 4WD. After that I haven't locked it and it goes through just as much snow. I think the only time I will use the 4WD lock is when I'm stuck or it seems really really bad.

Overall I am very impressed with the Pat in the snow.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
We spent the weekend at Yosemite. Monday morning brought us 6-7" of new powder after several days of rain. I used cable chains, and had no problem--once I figured I had to turn ESP OFF--with traction. There was one incident where I did lose traction getting out of a rather steep drive, so did the old Model A trick on steep hills, I backed out with no problem on the first attempt (after several failed ones going forward!)

This was my first experience with cable chains--think I'd rather have the "chain" type--better traction stopping and perhaps a little better starting as well.

What's been other's experiences in the snow with the 2WD Patriots? Mine is pushing 3 years old, this has been the first opportunity to play in the snow. No better or worse than other rigs I've owned.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I sometimes need chains to get up my driveway in winter. Luckily, even with the snow we've had, I haven't needed then, yet.

My sig photo is the bottom of my driveway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
we have a 2010 fwd patriot and have had over 4 inches of snow and ice for the last 2 weeks----0 problems in driving anywhere..we live in hilly country eastern kentucky..

it has taken me to places i ?? without 4x4--no probs.
just keep your head and drive..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts