Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read multiple posts on this topic and I feel no closer to figuring out which to buy and I am certain it isn't helpful to many.

It is my understanding that there are 3 main types that people have bought.

WeatherTech In-Channel
AVS In-Channel
Stick-on AVS or other brands (but really most are buying AVS stick-ons)

In-Channel Pros:
- Easy installation that won't bother paint nor have
- Possibly longer lasting
- Sit more flush to the vehicle

In-Channel Cons:
- May Scratch glass
- May cause a gap that lets in rain water
- Doesn't cover full glass, only roll down part, which looks weird to many
- Easier to fall out as there is no adhesive to hold in place, only friction

Stick-on Pros:
- Easy to install and wont bother glass.
- Covers full glass in the rear

Stick-on Cons:
- May not last as long (sticks less over time and temperature)
- Have to stick 3M glue to your paint

Being that it has been some time since the last post on this topic and none of them are comprehensive... Perhaps some of you can help add or remove some pro's/con's for some of us. Let's clear this item up :grin2:

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I just went with the stick ons - made buy a local shop and they've been great for the last 4 years :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't like the look of the stick-on unless the car is dark grey or black. Mine are AVS in channel. Installation is quick and simple. They haven't moved since installed due to the thin double-sided adhesive tape that keep them in place. No scratches to glass (where did you find that con?). No leaks, window closes completely or you've done something wrong. Just bevel the rear of the front deflectors so the window slides over it when closing. If my wife decides she wants deflectors on her 2017, I'll buy Weathertech. Although more expensive, I think their appearance is sleaker than the AVS. If no double-sided tape on Weathertech, I'll add it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No scratches to glass (where did you find that con?).
There is another post on this site and 1 or 2 people were talking about them scratching the glass and 1 was talking about the in channel falling out. But by the sounds of your post, neither of them should happen if installed properly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've used Weathertech for years on several vehicles and have not had any problems. I like the look a lot better than the stick-on visors and they do the job.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've never installed any of these on my Patriot but I did finally order the in-channel AVS ones and they're arriving tomorrow. I'll have to post back afterward but I've been hearing good things about the AVS ones.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A caution: The A pillars are wide. They can obscure a pedestrian in a crosswalk when making a turn at an intersection after stopping. Adding a dark-tinted deflector to the front window effectively increases the width of the A pillar at night. The effect is even greater on rainy nights. If I did a significant amount of urban driving after dark, I would not install deflectors. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
310 Posts
In 2007 I bought a set of AVS in-channel window shades and they still look good 10 years later. No window issues at all. I also bought
the smoke color hood bug shield and the color looks good on my silver paint. I got them through JC Whitney with free shipping that
they still do. I plan on doing this to my 2016 too. I like being able to drive in the rain with the window down a inch or two without the
rain blowing in from the windshield.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A caution: The A pillars are wide. They can obscure a pedestrian in a crosswalk when making a turn at an intersection after stopping. Adding a dark-tinted deflector to the front window effectively increases the width of the A pillar at night. The effect is even greater on rainy nights. If I did a significant amount of urban driving after dark, I would not install deflectors. Just something to keep in mind.
Fair enough and a considerable warning, but thankfully I don't go out much like I used to so night driving is a rarity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Weathertech in-channel is the way to go. Never a scratch or leak. Anyone ever use the hood bug deflector? I'd get so much wind up under my hood it would shake like crazy. I finally removed it and I wouldn't recommend installing one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I removed my Mopar bug shield also. Used it for about 9 months but decided I didn't like the extra hood vibration. Plus, it covered up the Jeep logo. Mopar mud flaps a better use of money for appearance farkles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed in channel AVS on my dad's patriot a couple years ago. Been fine ever since. No issues at all. The rears stick on to the rear piece so not 100% in channel looking but the fronts are 100% in channel.

-Nigel

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can vouch for the Weathertec in-channel Deflectors. Installed them front and rear about 2 weeks ago and have driven hiway commutes in all kinds of weather without problems. Great ventilation without being buffeted by the wind or deafend by the roar. They go in Very snug but don't affect window operations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do have a question about the bug and stone guard for the Leading Edge of the hood from WeatherTech. Has anybody else installed one of these on a 2016 Patriot? I think I have figured out what they had in mind for installation technique buy sliding the tabs that hold the guard underneath the rubber trim strip on the underside of the hood but I just want to make sure that is the proper way. Does anybody have any advice on that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
you have to remove the weatherstrip for proper secure install of hood shield. it comes right out by wedging the few plastic pop pins. then clean area where tabs will stick after aligning and test fitting. i didnt like that only small tape held so i did use the self tapping screws as well. re-install weatherstrip and good to go. i also don't like that it covers the logo but was starting to see chips all over hood and figured i needed this more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2017 Patriot and ordered 3 sets of vent shades the ones for the rear windows are too long and the shape for the front is off. The last set are AVS . HELP

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,462 Posts
Have a 2017 Patriot and ordered 3 sets of vent shades the ones for the rear windows are too long and the shape for the front is off. The last set are AVS . HELP
In-channel or stick on? The stick on ones are longer to cover the window section.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts