Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wind up here blew the drivers side front window out. I parked the car in the middle of a line of cars in the parking lot at work and when I looked out the window the front side was no longer there. Glass everywhere inside the car. Drove home from work minus one window with safety goggles on and brought it to get fixed yesterday. The wind was really strong and blowing snow but all is OK now. I've heard that if you crack a window in strong winds that it can prevent this from happening.:doh:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow... I am in the auto glass business... and have not heard of wind blowing a window out... was anything missing from inside the truck?

·
POTM June 08
1,209 Posts
Prezz, I was thinking the same thing....

Annie, you might want to take a good inventory of what you have in the Patriot and make sure it's all still there. Did you have anything of value visible to anyone who might have walked past the Patriot? Not saying you're wrong, but something pretty much needs to actually strike the window to cause it to break in most cases. However, I have read in another thread that a rear window was blown out, but that happened while their vehicle was in motion where inside pressure and the outside wind combined to create excessive buffeting which could cause stresses that would blow out a window. Rarely would the window blow out while the vehicle was parked.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i've been in the automotive parts business (dealership parts depts) for over 25 years and have NEVER, EVER heard of wind blowing out a window. it's almost a physical impossibility. when your windows are up and all doors shut, there is a certain amount of pressure inside your vehicle, much like the outside pressure if you were to submerge your vehicle in a body of water. there is NO WAY 'wind' could do that, unless something was blown into it to break it.

my guess is that someone waited until you got into the building and broke the window to get something. like Wade said, take inventory of what you had in it and turn it into your insurance company.

good luck and keep us posted as to how this pans out for you.

:)

·
Registered
811 Posts
true,I'm not in the glass business but over the very many years I've walked around this motorized world I 've never heard or seen of any car that lost its window just to the force of wind

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
We have been having gusts to 75 mph here this winter and other than feeling like our Pat/Riot might take off like a shoe box, no glass issues yet. It sounds like someone center punched your glass.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: my window
My wallet, cell phone and sunglasses were all sitting on the front seat. Nothing is missing. I work at a school and it was parked in the teacher parking lot. Closed campus school (students can't leave the building during school hours). In light of Columbine and other incidents of school violence the parking lot is patroled by the county sheriffs department. There was one other that I know of the same day that lost a window in the same lot. This is a parking lot that sits high up on a mountain with no trees and there were wind gusts of 80 plus mph. We get REALLY STRONG WINDS up here that most places would consider a hurricane. I contacted my insurance company but my deductable was $500. they had heard of it happening before. I contacted the dealer about warranty but glass is not covered. I got quotes from glass people that ranged from $500 to $189. Most glass places will come to you but the winds were strong the next day and that wouldnt of worked so I went to a Jeep dealer and their glass person put a new one in for $230. My sons girlfriend had the same thing happen to her a few years ago. About 12 years ago as I was getting out of the car (different location, same mountain) the wind caught my driver side door on the Honda Civic and ripped the hinge off. Apparently people around here have had this happen before hence the "crack your window in wind warning." I'm just grateful that it happened when parked rather than driving with kids in the back!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Wow!!! Do you work near the summit of Pike's Peak?:p Was the wind hitting the side of your car at an angle? When the wind gets that high here it picks up a lot of sand and small rocks, I wonder if it got dinged. I have never had anyone here suggest cracking a window, I am not sure how that would help.:confused:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
that's just unbelievable. not that i DON'T believe you, just that i can't imagine WIND blowing out a glass. now i HAVE seen wind break a door glass when it WASN'T rolled up all the way. it didn't have the support of the window frame and the glass just snapped, but that was just a fluke.

guess you just don't want to mess around with Mother Nature, huh? ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've heard this keeping the window cracked in high wind thing before but I always felt that it would have more support closed up and in the frame so it wouldn't shake. I do live at 9250 altitude and it was also very cold. When I talk to people up here most everyone knows someone that this has happened to. It was parked in a dirt parking lot so I thought about gravel or dirt hitting it but the surface of the lot was covered with snow at the time. Hopefully just a one time thing!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wind can blow out windows!

Near Euclid/Willowick Ohio there was an apartment complex where wind from the lake (storm) blew out -hundreds- of windows in a parking lot.

Between two buildings the wind gets funneled into it the lot, and during a bad storm, people actually run down to their cars to crack open their windows.

This happened twice in 5 years. I was there the next day one time. There were side windows and many back windows blown out. A complete mess!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

Near Euclid/Willowick Ohio there was an apartment complex where wind from the lake (storm) blew out -hundreds- of windows in a parking lot.

Between two buildings the wind gets funneled into it the lot, and during a bad storm, people actually run down to their cars to crack open their windows.

This happened twice in 5 years. I was there the next day one time. There were side windows and many back windows blown out. A complete mess!
ABSOLUTELY.....on a flat window. but the curved glass of an automobile is nearly impossible to break. try it.....walk up to a house window and hit it with your elbow and then try it on a door glass in a car. BIG difference.....:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I once locked my keys in my 1987 Cherokee with it running. I called the locksmith and he said he would be there in after a while. There was a slight cooling leak and it started losing coolant and the temp started rising. I got a hammer and started pounding on the front passenger vent window. I had to really pound on it to break it. I believe you about the wind, but I am pretty amazed also. Cars driving 100 mph don't have windows blow out. Hmmm.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The glass in a car door is curved?
If you put a ruler or other straight edge against it, you will probably see a little curvature. It adds to the impact resistance against a blow from the outside. Some windows curve more than others.

Now watch the Patriot make a liar out of me. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44102 View Post

--

OK, Let me clarify this, I WAS talking about CARS in the parking lot! People were cleaning up the mess from hundreds of blown out automobile windows, curved and all.

You are assuming that the glass was blowing out just from the wind. It could be a sudden pressure difference between the inside and outside of the vehicle, along with wind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow!!! Do you work near the summit of Pike's Peak?:p Was the wind hitting the side of your car at an angle? When the wind gets that high here it picks up a lot of sand and small rocks, I wonder if it got dinged. I have never had anyone here suggest cracking a window, I am not sure how that would help.:confused:

im thinking its be the same as they tell you to open windows during tornados inorder to make the pressure out side and the pressure inside be the same? maybe?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts