Discussion Starter #1
When you have a Political Discussion you invite
TERMOIL ! And when it is the same PERSON who starts
the thread gets everyone in an TIZZY some one might
get his FEELINGS HURT ! >:)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Some of us like to talk about it even if we don't always agree. If someone's feelings get hurt they are free to not click into the thread, read, and respond to it. If someone posts something truly out of bounds there is a mechanism for reporting the post and having a moderator review it. It's worked well for several years, I don't see anything wrong with it now.

Reactions: RossoRacer

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Everything is fine until maturity disappears and personal attacks and name calling like children takes over the conversation.
Some people just cannot discuss politics nor even debate for that matter - that is when moderators step in.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Its the name calling that sucks. I still don't understand why people have to resort to 3rd grade arguing. Its not productive to convince others of their opinion and it just looks silly to attack a person rather than defend their own opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Well that and its forum etiquette - I am sure everyone posting in the political forum has done so elsewhere and for a long time ..... they know the outcome of responding in certain ways to political based posts and their eventual outcome for doing so.

How many times do you have to burn your hand on the stove to realize to use gloves the next time :D

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,557 Posts
Partly what others said about it being civilized discussion, partly because somebody's gonna mention it sometime somewhere, even as a comparison, and this section gives the moderators an excuse to yell at you and say you're off topic if you even hint at anything relating to politics elsewhere, even if it's the only thing you can think of to make a comparison to elsewhere to help make a point about....anything really.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
When you have a Political Discussion you invite
TERMOIL ! And when it is the same PERSON who starts
the thread gets everyone in an TIZZY some one might
get his FEELINGS HURT ! >:)
Oh, come on now--REAL jeep drivers have thick skins, so shouldn't be a problem...

Reactions: Ignatz

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,393 Posts
Oh, come on now--REAL jeep drivers have thick skins, so shouldn't be a problem...
Well, you DID say the Patriot isnt a REAL Jeep. Sooooooo....

:p

Enough of this discussion--it's not a real Jeep! To me, it resembles an older Cherokee, and has a fair amount of off-road/rough country ability. I personally plowed thru 14" of new snow and went beyond where the Honda CR-vs, etc. stopped.

Now, let's trace Jeep back to its roots: jeep was a vehicle "type" and/or nickname of a vehicle designed and built by Willys-Overland. And during WW2, many "jeeps" were build by and wore Ford data plates, but were indestingishable from the Willys version. Don't think too many soldiers worried about their "ford" not being a jeep....

·
8,125 Posts
Vitriol does little to persuade.

Anyone familiar with Aristotle's modes of persuasion?
Ethos--the presenter's credibility: "He's a college professor so he must know what he's talking about."
Pathos--the hearer's emotions: "By cutting the school lunch budget, many children will go hungry."
Logos--logical argument: "Cutting taxes stimulates the economy which will eventually increase tax revenue."
Kairos--appeal to urgency: "Spend the money now because the project will cost more in 10 years."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts