Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
The cheapest new grocery getter for the wife!
No, you did it to get EW to quit bugging you for being on this forum for years without ever owning a Patriot.
(just kidding)

·
8,286 Posts
I bought a used 2009, FWD, 5 speed and with 114,000 miles . . . The front subframe was replaced due to the rust issue several years but was under warranty.
But you weren't the original owner. Did you have an aftermarket warranty? From what I've heard the extended warrant is only for the original owner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought mine because I was recently promoted to manager and was losing my company van. My new salary package came with a vehicle allowance so I wanted something I could buy with that. I wanted a Jeep...could not afford a Wrangler and of course a Gladiator was right out. Came across this beautiful snow white 2011 Latitude 4x4 for a sweet price and grabbed it. Only complaint so far is the whiney gearbox after driving on the freeway and the fact that no cool Jeep parts were ever made for the Patriot...but I'll have the tranny cooler put in when they force the Smittybilt tubular bumper down its throat in a few weeks and life should be good! Put the Curt class III hitch on it so my daughter and I can haul our mountain bikes to the trails, she loves it...we call it the Jeepster lol

·
8,286 Posts
Rook, you look a little young to be driving. Ah well, the older I get the younger other people look. Good luck managing the bicycle business.

All seriousness aside, it may be that you got your Patriot on the cheap because the last person was nervous about that whine -- and rightfully so. Tranny fluid in the CVT should be changed out every 50-60,000 miles. A whine from the (non)gearbox is a good indicator that the fluid needs to be changed out. Have them do the filters while you're at it.

Oh, I see you're new on here. Please drop by the newbie threads and introduce yourself to the others on this site. We've got a nice crowd on here. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I bought mine because I was recently promoted to manager and was losing my company van. My new salary package came with a vehicle allowance so I wanted something I could buy with that. I wanted a Jeep...could not afford a Wrangler and of course a Gladiator was right out. Came across this beautiful snow white 2011 Latitude 4x4 for a sweet price and grabbed it. Only complaint so far is the whiney gearbox after driving on the freeway and the fact that no cool Jeep parts were ever made for the Patriot...but I'll have the tranny cooler put in when they force the Smittybilt tubular bumper down its throat in a few weeks and life should be good! Put the Curt class III hitch on it so my daughter and I can haul our mountain bikes to the trails, she loves it...we call it the Jeepster lol
View attachment 91205 View attachment 91206
LOL, I call ours the Jeepster too! But I am a T-Rex fan too, so it's fitting. You have the CV trans?

·
Registered
20 Posts
LOL, I call ours the Jeepster too! But I am a T-Rex fan too, so it's fitting. You have the CV trans?
Yes it is the CVT. When they put the trans cooler in they will replace all filters and fluid as well...I have no clue when it was last done so now I will. Runs strong though, just a faint whine after a long freeway drive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why did I chose the Jeep Patriot?? I didn't!! The wife did.But it was also our thrid Jeep.The first one was a 1999 Jeep Cherokee,which she drove for an even 100,000 miles,then a 2010 Jeep Liberty,which she drove for 80,000 miles,then this one,the 2015 Patriot.I didn't really have much of a say about any of em.She just likes Jeeps,plain and simple.Ya know,simple things amuse simple minds!! lol lol I'm just the guy who had to take care of em,not to mention,PAY FOR EM!!! Duh!!! Someone even once told me that " I'd make a good wife"!! lol lol

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,559 Posts
Needed a cheap vehicle for college, parents wanted me to have new so it'd be reliable and have parts available just in case, and my mom wanted me to have 4wd. And what better company to look at for 4x4, especially when the 3 new-auto dealers within a half hour drive are for the "big 3" and anything else is an hour away or more.

Admittedly I wanted most/all of the bells and whistles when picking it, but costs needed to be kept down so I wound up with manual EVERYTHING except the CVT(wanted the 5-speed because I'd never driven manual before, but my parents didn't wanna risk a situation where I was changing song on my MP3 player when it needed to shift). And I gotta say, it didn't take long for the simplicity to grow on me, or for me to realize that's what made it more of a Jeep.

And today, I'm more glad than ever to own the last new model of Jeep, and Lord willing will be buzzing it up to the Mackinac Bridge and Drummond Island in late April.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was in need of a 4 door vehicle. I had a 2004 Dodge Dakota single cab 4X2 in Missouri, also have 2 kids and a wife, sooooooooooo there was that issue of a 1 passenger truck. Plus my Wife used to have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and i loved it. Couldn't afford a Grand Cherokee of any age, and she really liked the looks of the Patriot. I did all the research I could on it, and we went to a dealership to test drive one and the one they had was the High Altitude edition ( assuming this is the Luxury version?), which i never heard of, but it had 4X4 and in Missouri, that's almost a standard vehicle to have. I instantly fell in love with it and bought it there on the spot. Price was good, my wife loved it (honestly thought we bought this for her). It became mine and I have had the luxury of putting it to the test, from offroading, to harsh winter weather, and i was fully impressed by how well it did. My Riot has the upgraded 2.4 litre VVT engine, The FDII was enticing, but i hate CVT engines, and from what I read, it sucked in the Patriot.

Is it a Wrangler, no, but in honesty I think it can do about half of what a Wrangler can do, and that's all i need it to do.

My kids love it, especially in the snow, they ask me to run through it as much as I can! I was surprised at how roomy it was back there, the only drawback is the amount of trunk space, If i have back seats up, I really have to measure what I can fit in there.

I wanted to join the "Jeep Life"

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
133 Posts
Hi from europe, owned a Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, RRover and merc G-wagen before.
Needed something for dirtroads and my big Dane.
The Patriot is a light car and mileage is good in compearence to the ones I had before.
In my country prices of petrol and road tax are killing.
The Patriot is a 2013 4wd 2,4 cvt and was an educated decision to make.
My son is a car mechanic and I restore cars so I can fix the Jeep myself

·
8,286 Posts
Hi from europe, owned a Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, RRover and merc G-wagen before.
Needed something for dirtroads and my big Dane.
The Patriot is a light car and mileage is good in compearence to the ones I had before.
In my country prices of petrol and road tax are killing.
The Patriot is a 2013 4wd 2,4 cvt and was an educated decision to make.
My son is a car mechanic and I restore cars so I can fix the Jeep myself
Welcome! Please visit the newbie threads and introduce yourself to the others. Great gang we've got here!

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,559 Posts
Just for future reference, Pirate, any 4x4 Patriot has the 2.4L, and I think both engine options had Variable Valve Timing. CVT takes getting used to, but works decent for something that nobody seems to wanna research properly, and should do fine if properly maintained. And yes, High Altitude makes it basically a Grand Cherokee. Mine is the exact opposite and I love it. I've noticed half decent room in the back seat, but don't think I would go so far as to call it good. Definitely not much room in the back though. There's enough space for two 5-gallon gas cans or maybe luggage for 2-3 people for a week back there, but if you take the whole family across the country for Christmas in it, be prepared to put some luggage on the roof, or in a trailer, or on one of those hitch racks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw the patriot and really liked it. Simple, cheap and fairly reliable.... I needed a 4wd for the cold Virginia mountains for when I had to work there. I've had mine since 2017... It's been fun. Great in the snow and a good commuting vehicle. I've put over 140,000 on it and she's still running strong!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts