Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been asked before, but Why did you choose to purchase a Patriot?

I'll start, every passing model year, there's less and less vehicles I like. Too many doodads, flat screens, etc. No manual transmissions, etc. I'm purchasing a vehicle, not a phone app. That's what lead me towards a Patriot. I've always owned trucks or vans, to haul the racebikes with and I haven't had to drive more then ten miles to work so the MPG was never a thought. All our current vehicles, are now higher mileage (100k+) and older, and decided to supplement with one newer vehicle. The issue was trying to find something with AWD/4WD and a manual transmission made in the USA. I've driven newer Wranglers, and really don't care for their ride (unlike my ZR2, which I love on & off-road). The little Patriot fit the bill, and has great MPG as a bonus (compared to all the sub 18mpg vehicles we have). We were both impressed with it. Had just the necessities, no extra crap to break, reasonably priced, and the most important, made here with the right options. I never thought of one until I started researching them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And on another note, I got to say this is by far one of the best forums I've been on. I stopped going on forums years ago because all the dirtbike and GM truck ones were mostly loaded with douchebags. This site is so much more welcoming! Thank you.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I bought my Patriot almost on the spur of the moment, but I'm glad I did. I wasn't actually looking for a vehicle. My brother had just purchased a Ram truck and asked me if I'd give him a lift to the dealer. While he was in signing paperwork and making sure his new truck had had the accessories installed that he asked for, I was out wandering around the lot, and thinking about how an SUV would be easier for me to get in and out of than my trusty ol' Jetta. I'm 6' tall with back issues, so the Jetta was getting to be a challenge. A salesman started chatting me up. I told him that I wasn't actually looking. He mentioned the sale they were having (Memorial Day), and asked what it would take to sell me something. I threw out a number off the top of my head that sounded ridiculously low to me, and to my surprise he said he could actually beat that. I actually laughed. He was right. I drove away in a low mileage, off-lease 2014 Patriot Sport FD2 with a lot of, but not all, the bells and whistles, and $50 a month under what I had thought was a crazy low price.

Before I signed anything I pulled out my phone and did some research on the Patriot. At first I was a little turned off by the CVT, but there was almost 20k miles left on the warranty. First CVT I've ever driven and I've grown to really like it. Sometimes I complain that it only gets ~20-22mpg, but my 4 cylinder Jetta only got 24, so it really isn't that bad.

And I agree with you, this forum is pretty awesome. I'm also on a Toyota forum and those people are very douchie indeed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to meet ya! LOL, the same thing happened to me when I bought my '05 GMC 1500. I wasn't looking for "new", my friend was, but they had the Employee discount pricing sale going on in '05 and the price was as much as a used truck at the time. The FDII sounds sweet!

·
7,817 Posts
And on another note, I got to say this is by far one of the best forums I've been on. I stopped going on forums years ago because all the dirtbike and GM truck ones were mostly loaded with douchebags. This site is so much more welcoming! Thank you.
I quit another forum for the same reason. Those people all hated each other based on the brand of motor oil they used. Cheese Louise!

And thanks! We all make this forum what it is.

·
7,817 Posts
Why I bought a Patriot. We bought our '08 when Chrysler was struggling to stay in business and was giving them away. I first looked at an Avenger and didn't like it. While was waiting to give the keys back to the sales rep I saw my Patriot on the showroom floor. It was FWD and people around here all think they need AWD -- I knew better. I asked how bad he wanted to sell it and he said, "Bad." It wasn't hard to make a deal and it turned out to be the best automotive purchase I ever made. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why I bought a Patriot. We bought our '08 when Chrysler was struggling to stay in business and was giving them away. I first looked at an Avenger and didn't like it. While was waiting to give the keys back to the sales rep I saw my Patriot on the showroom floor. It was FWD and people around here all think they need AWD -- I knew better. I asked how bad he wanted to sell it and he said, "Bad." It wasn't hard to make a deal and it turned out to be the best automotive purchase I ever made. :)
Same here on the 4WD! All our trucks and vans are 2WD, only the ZR2 Blazer and the Patriot are 4WD. 99% of the time, 2WD is fine. We've gotten through some nasty crap with our 2wd/posi Express van. The only reason we got the last two vehicles as 4WD is because of visiting my Dad's place in West Virginia (driveway is an pea gravel ski slope, LOL) & just a few of the events we go to are held rain or shine and offer less then ideal parking area's (flooded farm fields).

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
In short, we needed something less than a mini-van, but more utility than a sedan.
We looked at several options, including a 2010 Ford Escape. We went for the FDII for the off-road capability.
Though it has it's limitations we've been overall very pleased with it's performance both on and off-road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I pretty much bought mine because it was the only 4x4 I fit comfortably in within my price range. Originally wanted a wrangler but those things don’t have enough head or legroom for someone that’s 6’9 lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pretty much bought mine because it was the only 4x4 I fit comfortably in within my price range. Originally wanted a wrangler but those things don’t have enough head or legroom for someone that’s 6’9 lol
We noticed that about the Patriot too! It has a bit more legroom then even the Blazer does and is on par with our full size trucks. They're able to achieve that roomy interior for a compact SUV because of its unibody construction.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wanted a Jeep, so after testing a Wrangler and not liking the design of Compass as much as a Patriot, I went with a Patriot in 2013. Year and a half later I went from an FD 1 to an FD 2 Patriot. Was considering a Renegade at the time, but the layout and look of the Patriot kept me in it's grips.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Treedodgingfool, it's always good to meet a fellow dirt rider. I ride an old XR400 in the mountains of Washington (and Oregon) sometime we go to the desert in eastern Washington. I bought my patriot because I love the exterior appearance and interior is roomy for a tall guy like me. I've found it to be a very versatile SUV and great in the snow.
1581107621334.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Treedodgingfool, it's always good to meet a fellow dirt rider. I ride an old XR400 in the mountains of Washington (and Oregon) sometime we go to the desert in eastern Washington. I bought my patriot because I love the exterior appearance and interior is roomy for a tall guy like me. I've found it to be a very versatile SUV and great in the snow.
View attachment 91135
Nice to meet you too! I used to compete on a XR250R back in the late '90s. Even though I love my open class 2str and modern 4str's, I always loved old school 4str thump! They just make traction. LOL, but I digress. My father in-law's '95 GMC Jimmy 4wd back in the day sold me on the little 4wd SUV's and heavy snow. Unlike butt light 4wd trucks, that need a little heft thrown in the bed to improve their sure footed-ness, the little 4wd SUV already was there. Winters in southern New Jersey are extremely hit or miss on snow (it's why we never really bought our own 4wd vehicles until more recent years, after a few times having issues finally convinced us to), but it's been nice to finally not have to worry about whether it rained (or snowed) when traveling outside of flat SJ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2003 Saturn LW200 wagon died after 11 years and 175k miles on the clock. I ended up getting a 2015 Patriot (High Altitude) from dealer stock. Aside from the smallish gas tank, it's a decent station wagon replacement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have always liked the Patriot’s styling (and the last Liberty’s and the Renegade). I am also tall and not too many other small vehicles are comfortable and needing a gas saver for my long, rural commute to work, the Patriot works well at a very low cost for a used vehicle.

I bought a used 2009, FWD, 5 speed and with 114,000 miles, other than a clogged heater core, I have had no issues. The front subframe was replaced due to the rust issue several years but was under warranty.

I have a Chevy 1500 4x4 LTZ but it eats the gas.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Easy to get in and out of. Easy to see out of (no blind spots). Most headroom of all compact SUV's. Good economy. Has the traditional "Jeep" style. Rear seats fold flat to enable carrying lots of "stuff". Easy to change plugs, filter, oil etc. I am on my second one and would buy a third if they were still made.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have always liked the Patriot’s styling (and the last Liberty’s and the Renegade). I am also tall and not too many other small vehicles are comfortable and needing a gas saver for my long, rural commute to work, the Patriot works well at a very low cost for a used vehicle.

I bought a used 2009, FWD, 5 speed and with 114,000 miles, other than a clogged heater core, I have had no issues. The front subframe was replaced due to the rust issue several years but was under warranty.

I have a Chevy 1500 4x4 LTZ but it eats the gas.
They are very reasonable used for what you get! Nothing else in our driveway gets over 20mpg either, the fuel economy was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was looking for a suv look, good fuel economy, boxy look, enough roo to haul stuff if needed , roomy, and the ability to go off the beaten track if necessary.

As you can see by my join date I started researching it in 2011, and bought one by 2015

·
Premium Member
10,962 Posts
The cheapest new grocery getter for the wife!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts