Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
an odd member
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read a review today that pretty much said don't buy a patriot.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Jeep_Patriot/

I am sure many of the real complainers are those that came from v8s and the like. This engine doesn't like to be pedal to the floor. In my opinion. when the pedal is to the floor it does seem to be sluggish, but once you figure out your mid range "sweet spot" it accelerates pretty well... I have plenty of punch coming from a stop, and autostick puts we way past those I'm passing. This morning was prime example. The pat accelerated very very well this morning when I came to a T in the road of my daily commute. From where I turn to the first speed limit sign is about 100 yards and I was up to speed (60 mph) well before the sign. RPMs were around 3500... It suits my needs

The patriot is not a vehicle that you can drive one time and be able to truly understand how it handles. I don't understand either why in the world they would even begin to compare the MK to a JK.

and a final note: It may not be the most fierce off road vehicle, but I have been through some tuff stuff. I believe that any vehicle is only as capable as its driver. Takes skill, thought, preparation, and a knowledge of how your vehicle handles.

Thanks for the time to rant a little

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
while am not a fan of the cvt,
and do find it sluggish, very sluggish,
coping this storm, have been thinking what vehicle would i want to be driving?
chevy volt?
while i dont have electric, would have an easier time finding electric to charge, than gas,
still cant justify the $40k sticker
pat is suiting me just fine during this time, even though it is parked with almost a full tank of gas,
pat is good compromise of features across the board,
not great in any 1 specific feature, but good all around,
glad i have the pat during this time

·
Registered
44 Posts
I personally hate with every fiber of my being every CVT I've ever driven, so the CVT Pat isn't special in that regard (I've got a manual). I think that comes from a lifetime around high performance and sports cars. I generally don't like conventional automatics either unless they are VERY well-sorted like our 2012 335i - great automatic, one of the only ones I've ever liked - and unlike the auto in our 2012 JKU, which is better than the older 4-speed but still sloppy and indecisive. But I digress....

Look, Jeep reviews are usually written by people who don't understand or want Jeeps, plain and simple. They want a soap-bar station wagon dressed up in anonymous clothes that rides and drives like the generic marshmallow that is their Camry. To them, that makes a good wagon/SUV/CUV whatever they call them these days. People who love Jeeps usually want something different - a boxy, honest, rough-and-tumble vehicle that has a ton of personality and makes no apologies for what it is. People like us actually want that in a vehicle, and other people don't always understand it.

Hence, the 'Jeep thing' expression. But personally the highest-rated vehicles are usually the ones I like least, and the outliers are what appeal to me. Reviews just don't mean much to me.

·
an odd member
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't get me wrong if I had the choice of a different transmission I would have taken it. But given what it is. I'm not saying it's the worst either, just that it has a learning curve to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
844 Posts
I very much agree with Brahma: "Look, Jeep reviews are usually written by people who don't understand or want Jeeps, plain and simple. They want a soap-bar station wagon dressed up in anonymous clothes that rides and drives like the generic marshmallow that is their Camry. To them, that makes a good wagon/SUV/CUV whatever they call them these days. People who love Jeeps usually want something different - a boxy, honest, rough-and-tumble vehicle that has a ton of personality and makes no apologies for what it is. People like us actually want that in a vehicle, and other people don't always understand it.

Many many years ago I totally gave up on Consumer Reports with their stupid comments like: Our 5'2" female driver didn't like the seats so therefore the whole car is no good.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You're spot on regarding reviews Brahma.

It's your own opinion that counts. I don't need some numbskull telling me what to buy. They generally seem to have very little mechanical knowledge and concern themselves with irrelevent nonsense :doh:.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I think the CVT in my 2012 FDII is very quick and not sluggish at all. I wonder if the people that feel its sluggish have FDI's or older FDII's if so I would recommend going to the dealer and getting the newer CVT update, it's said to make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Automotive "journalism" is a cesspool.

You play nice or you don't get that invite to fly, on the auto companies dime, over to Italy to flog a bunch of Ferrari's around, mixed in with buffet lunches, booze and trashy European women.

So they are bought and paid for in a sense but still have to give the appearance of impartiality.

Picking on a small brand or a enthusiast model that will not get wide exposure is a time honoured tradition.

Jalopnik.com does a better than most job of fully covering motor vehicles but most of all the rest can go pound sand. The worst of the worst are newspaper automotive writers, imo. They probably get paid so little that they rely on the graft from the auto companies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Automotive "journalism" is a cesspool.

You play nice or you don't get that invite to fly, on the auto companies dime, over to Italy to flog a bunch of Ferrari's around, mixed in with buffet lunches, booze and trashy European women.

So they are bought and paid for in a sense but still have to give the appearance of impartiality.

Picking on a small brand or a enthusiast model that will not get wide exposure is a time honoured tradition.

Jalopnik.com does a better than most job of fully covering motor vehicles but most of all the rest can go pound sand. The worst of the worst are newspaper automotive writers, imo. They probably get paid so little that they rely on the graft from the auto companies.

Another great site for reviews that I highly recommend is ttac.com (The Truth About Cars). Not only are they brutally honest about cars, they also provide daily news and information of what's going on within the industry.

Jalopnik is ok, but I've been hooked on TTAC for about 3 years now. Here's their review on the 2012 Patriot Latitude.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/06/review-2012-jeep-patriot-latitude/

or if you prefer the multimedia review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nE6EgVdWjRg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts