Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these on Ebay, they were listed as 2007-2008 Jeep Compass gauges. Knowing that the gauge cluster is the same for the Patriot, I decided I would try them out and let everyone know how they are. When I bought them they were on sale for $20.39 with free shipping.

I first had the disassemble the dash to get the cluster out. I removed the small cover on the A pillar and removed the screw from in there. I was able to remove the plastic A pillar cover.

Next, I removed part of the plastic dash cover towards the windshield, when I say part I mean I only had to lift up on half of the cover, just enough so I could remove the cover over the gauges.

I then had to pop off the small triangular cover on the left side of the dash. In there I took out two screws also so I could remove the cover over the gauges.

Now I was able to remove the cover above the steering wheel. Other than the three screws mentioned, all the plastic pieces were pressure locks. Meaning with a little lifting the pieces can be removed.

Now I was able to take out four screws for the gauges cluster.

Gauges removed.

I removed the gauges so I could take off the clear plastic cover and the gray plastic ring piece. These are all remove by lifting tabs and slight pulling.

As per instructions I found a spray bottle and added about eight ounces of water and 6 drops dish soap. They sell an install kit for $5.00 but isn't needed if you have the items needed. I also needed a small squeegee. I had all of these things after applying window tint to numerous vehicles.

Vinyl gauge set from whitegauges.net

It is recommended to plug the cluster back into the vehicle in the dark, then turn on the lights to help line up the gauges with the back lighting of the cluster. Remove vinyl gauges from backing and spray with water/soap mixture. I also sprayed the cluster slightly. Then align numbers and dashes in the vinyl gauges with the numbers and dashes on the cluster. Then squeegee the soapy water out from behind the vinyl. You can soak up the water with a rag. As per instructions, I used a hairdryer to help dry the water and to help adhere the vinyl to the cluster faster. Repeat with remaining.

Then install everything back in reverse order of disassembling.

Finished Product.

I really enjoy the look of the new white gauges. They look factory installed. The light shines through great in the dark. Took me about 40 minutes for this mod.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Great idea, that looks awesome. Seems well worth the cost and time. Maybe we can get this posted to the knowledge base?

·
Registered
144 Posts
good install, good write up. nice post. brightens up the plain interior definitely.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Well done you! That looks cool! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Looks good Ken!
Do you cut out the factory skin or does it stay?

Here is a picture of the clear cover, trim rings, and cluster:

Hey, we have the same countertops.

·
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
1,060 Posts
I really do wish people would stop coming up with good looking mods so I could finally say Ruby Riot is a finished product.:p

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Great look and great write up. I was considering 2 related personalizations along these lines. I'd like to put green LED's in the cluster instead of the stock white and I'd like to do something to highlight the gauge trim rings. If I did the white face conversion, I could leave the trim rings black. I think that looks really good the way you did it. Now that I see how things come apart, you've got me thinking.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
I'd like to put green LED's in the cluster instead of the stock white
You would probably be better off getting a light filter.
The stock LEDs are the tiny board mounted variety (not easy to change).

I used a roscolux theater lighting filter to change the odometer screen color.
I slid the filter behind the black plastic and taped it down to the white base.

A 24"x20" sheet is around $8. Go to the Rosco website and see if there is a local retailer (in Indianapolis the retailer was a stage lighting rental place). They will have a filter swatch book (like a paint chip book) so that you can find the filter that creates the color that you are looking for.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I assume you had to remove the gage needles. How did you get them off and were there any issues with re-installing them accurately (particularly the speedometer, would not want that to be off). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
You would probably be better off getting a light filter.
The stock LEDs are the tiny board mounted variety (not easy to change).

I used a roscolux theater lighting filter to change the odometer screen color.
I slid the filter behind the black plastic and taped it down to the white base.

A 24"x20" sheet is around $8. Go to the Rosco website and see if there is a local retailer (in Indianapolis the retailer was a stage lighting rental place). They will have a filter swatch book (like a paint chip book) so that you can find the filter that creates the color that you are looking for.
Thanks for the info and alternative solution.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I assume you had to remove the gage needles. How did you get them off and were there any issues with re-installing them accurately (particularly the speedometer, would not want that to be off). Thanks.
A good question, but I would assume that you would be able to slide the gauges around the needle without removing them. Vinyl tends to be pretty pliable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey KoolKat....... can you post a picture of the White Cluster in the dark. Need to see how it looks before I decide. Looks great in the daylight.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I will take a picture later tonight and post it. The needles do not need to be removed, the vinyl slips over them easily.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
What a wonderful mod...I'm not going to try it myself, but I appreciate the research & time you have put into it , also an excellent write up...Many thanks.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a pic of the gauges in the dark. Could only get part of the gauges because I had to steady the camera on the steering wheel. My camera takes shaky shots in the dark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don' see any difference in the dark, but looks good as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts