Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whining noise when driving up hills? I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot North from new and driven 97,000KM CVT automatic transmission. The noise sounds like a turbo boost kicking in type of whine, but I don't have a turbo. I was on cruise control with air conditioning running, but car still did the same when I turned those off. My car normally runs on flat roads in town and has no issues. I am retired and only driving the car from 3 to 5000km a year with an occasional once a year 800km trip to the mountains. I have not had any of the major services such as transmission, filters or belt changes done. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured, the dealers are saying it's a non serviceable item and they would have to investigate what the noise is; the local transmission shop says the trans service should fix the problem and at a reasonable $230CDN.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and the oil and filter change sorted the problem?
Thanks for your reply.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and the oil and filter change sorted the problem?
Yes, me.

And the fluid and filter change got rid of the whine.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,397 Posts
Thanks, that's great to hear. I have the car booked in for a week Thursday.
Just make sure that they change BOTH filters. Some shops will tell you that there is only one, but there are definitely two. One in the trans pan, and one behind the oil-to-water cooler, located front-top of trans, under the battery tray. That's actually the most important one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for letting me know there are two filters. I see there are videos on youtube showing the trans oil and two filter change, so will check them out so I know what should be done. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know the filter parts numbers for the filters? I watched a couple of videos and they used different numbers; top TF246 oil cooler filter and oil pan 96104; another video shows TF1233 and B-429?.
I will be getting the trans shop to do this job, but just want to make sure they do both. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, me.

And the fluid and filter change got rid of the whine.
That's what I figured, the dealers are saying it's a non serviceable item and they would have to investigate what the noise is; the local transmission shop says the trans service should fix the problem and at a reasonable $230CDN.

Thanks for your reply.
Mine is a 2012 Patriot and whines up hill and sometimes loses power. I've taken it to shops and they can't find anything wrong because it only happens sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
Ditto Sandstone. In my experience, tired CVT fluid doesn't whine all the time, only when it's hot. I noticed it most after a trip on the highway on a hot day. It really put out a scream.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had my oil and filters changed at National Transmission in Calgary; I was quoted $230 to change the trans oil and filter. When I got to the shop I asked if they were replacing both filters, the service guy said "no, just the oil pan filter"; I told the service guy I needed both filters done, he replied, 'That would take an extra hour", he also asked if I needed the cheaper oil or the CVT oil? I told the guy I needed the correct CVT oil. Here's the breakdown for the total cost of the job: 2 trans service $250; 1 service kit $32.50; 1 filter #2 $14.95; 1 enviro $14.99; 1 CVT NAGI fluid $65.70 total cost: $397.05. Not sure if this is a fair price, but what ticked me off was that a transmission shop would only change 1 filter and would not have changed the other (under battery tray) filter unless I asked? In hindsight; MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE DEALER FOR A QUOTE TO DO BOTH FILTERS (oil pan and under battery tray filters) AND USE CORRECT CVT TRANSMISSION OIL.

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
I'd say the price is about right in US dollars. Considering the exchange rate I think your deal was a little better than what I've seen in the US.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts