Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
I'm happy with the OBDLink MX+. I was wary of some of the other offerings at Amazon that had a nonsensical string of consonants as the brand name.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Just thought I would post here about Jscan.

As far as I can see the Jscan app does not do well with tire size changes or altering the DRLs on the Jeep Patriot.

I made changes to the tire size and to the DRLs to low beam and sidelights instead of high beam DRLs; the next day my car had an engine light come on and my car went into limp mode it took me two days to get rid of the engine light and the P0610 TRANS CONTROL code that put me in limp mode.

I had to disconnect my battery; drain the circuit by joining/grounding the two disconnected battery cables and leaving them disconnected for about 1/2 and hour; connect battery, then switch the ignition off and on a few times, then let the engine run for a few minutes until the idle settled down to around 800 or so (has to relearn settings as far as I can see). Then turned ignition off and then on to second not starting position; I went into Jscan settings (gear wheel top right of OBD JSCAN) to trace and restore settings to see what I had adjusted; made sure I set everything back as it was; then did an advanced scan, deleted all the codes by hitting the trash can symbol; turned ignition key off and onto second position; did advanced scan again and found P0610 code was gone and three codes remained B1634, B1630 AND B1638HIGH BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT FRONT CONTROL were active. I drove the car; the engine light went out and ran OK, not in limp mode.

I contacted the manufacturer and he said that Jscan does not do well with the Patriot tire size changes;

My car currently has 3 codes B1633, B1634 and B1638 all high and low beam codes; so as long as I don't try to change the DRLs or the tire size my car runs OK, apart from a minor speedo tire increase size issue and the high beam coming on when I switch to low beams. I also tried switching HIDS on and a few other things in Jscan, but still got the engine light and limp mode; which was a pain to get rid of.

I should mention my headlights are HID projectors and I feed them through relays; the coil of the relay is fed by the headlight wires which transfers 12v to the HID circuit; so the car computer is probably sensing the change and producing the codes.

I'm thinking to try Appcar Diagfca, but am wondering if I will have the same problem if I try to change the tire size or the DRLs?

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,532 Posts
I don't have DRL's and never had the need to mess with my tire sizes since I run stock size tires. You might be able to get rid of the headlight codes by adding inline resistors between the factory wiring and the relays.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I have posted in the electrical section about removing the B codes.
My HID harness already has resistors built in which should handle the low beams (but I still have one low beam B code); my high beam goes to an open contact on a relay, so a resistor might resolve those 2 B codes? Maybe carry on with this on the other post as it is somewhat off the original topic.

Thanks again for your help.

· Registered
28 Posts
Just thought I would post here about Jscan.

As far as I can see the Jscan app does not do well with tire size changes or altering the DRLs on the Jeep Patriot.

I made changes to the tire size and to the DRLs to low beam and sidelights instead of high beam DRLs; the next day my car had an engine light come on and my car went into limp mode it took me two days to get rid of the engine light and the P0610 TRANS CONTROL code that put me in limp mode.

I had to disconnect my battery; drain the circuit by joining/grounding the two disconnected battery cables and leaving them disconnected for about 1/2 and hour; connect battery, then switch the ignition off and on a few times, then let the engine run for a few minutes until the idle settled down to around 800 or so (has to relearn settings as far as I can see). Then turned ignition off and then on to second not starting position; I went into Jscan settings (gear wheel top right of OBD JSCAN) to trace and restore settings to see what I had adjusted; made sure I set everything back as it was; then did an advanced scan, deleted all the codes by hitting the trash can symbol; turned ignition key off and onto second position; did advanced scan again and found P0610 code was gone and three codes remained B1634, B1630 AND B1638HIGH BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT FRONT CONTROL were active. I drove the car; the engine light went out and ran OK, not in limp mode.

I contacted the manufacturer and he said that Jscan does not do well with the Patriot tire size changes;

My car currently has 3 codes B1633, B1634 and B1638 all high and low beam codes; so as long as I don't try to change the DRLs or the tire size my car runs OK, apart from a minor speedo tire increase size issue and the high beam coming on when I switch to low beams. I also tried switching HIDS on and a few other things in Jscan, but still got the engine light and limp mode; which was a pain to get rid of.

I should mention my headlights are HID projectors and I feed them through relays; the coil of the relay is fed by the headlight wires which transfers 12v to the HID circuit; so the car computer is probably sensing the change and producing the codes.

I'm thinking to try Appcar Diagfca, but am wondering if I will have the same problem if I try to change the tire size or the DRLs?
Well, I decided to try and change my tire size despite having read this beforehand. I thought maybe it had been updated since.

Nope. Got major trouble codes P0602 and U1410. Transmission and Tipm errors. Could only drive in limp mode. Thanks for being the original guinea pig though! I followed your instructions on resetting and clearing the codes and my car is back to normal.

It guess it’s a CVT limitation because I know that its been successfully done on a Patriot. I may DM the YouTuber and see if he responds, though I’m betting he has an Automatic.

The app stock setting on my 2.0L FWD CVT Patriot was set at 26.61” and I tried to set it at 28.5” (even though there was a warning that 27.15” was the max CVT setting).

I may try setting it to 27.15” to get it slightly closer to my tire size, but that’s enough experimenting for today!

But for real, thank you! If I had done this without your guide to reset everything, I would have been SOL and likely would’ve had a large bill from my dealership service center.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, I decided to try and change my tire size despite having read this beforehand. I thought maybe it had been updated since.

Nope. Got major trouble codes P0602 and U1410. Transmission and Tipm errors. Could only drive in limp mode. Thanks for being the original guinea pig though! I followed your instructions on resetting and clearing the codes and my car is back to normal.

It guess it’s a CVT limitation because I know that its been successfully done on a Patriot. I may DM the YouTuber and see if he responds, though I’m betting he has an Automatic.

The app stock setting on my 2.0L FWD CVT Patriot was set at 26.61” and I tried to set it at 28.5” (even though there was a warning that 27.15” was the max CVT setting).

I may try setting it to 27.15” to get it slightly closer to my tire size, but that’s enough experimenting for today!

But for real, thank you! If I had done this without your guide to reset everything, I would have been SOL and likely would’ve had a large bill from my dealership service center.
Glad to help. I have an automatic transmission and know I panicked when I went into limp mode. I tried various tire settings as well, but with no success. I have 17 inch all weather tires with about a 6KM (4mile) over speedo reading, so I just set my radio speed warning at the speed limit, so I know I am just slightly over the speed limit and usually not enough to get a speeding ticket. Would be interested to see if someone else has managed to solve the Patriot's tire resizing.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts