Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
What is a good OBD2 Code Reader and cell phone app for a 2011 Jeep Patriot North 2.4L engine?

I posted the other day about checking my trans fluid temperature and bought this code reader to check my trans fluid temperature: Mestart OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scan Tool Auto OBD Scanner for Android Devices, Code Readers & Scan Tools - Amazon Canada the Mestart OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scan Tool Auto OBD Scanner for Android Devices

I won't receive the code reader until Wednesday or Thursday; and In hindsight I don't see that it checks the trans fluid temp and it may not work with my cell phone?; also, there are a lot of similar code readers and apps out there and I was wondering which ones people are using?

I intend to use the Mestart OBDII OBD2 code reader with my Samsung Galaxy A71 cell phone and the Torque Pro app. My cell phone has android 10 and I do have a Jensen VX7020 radio with 6 inch screen, so not sure if I can par to that.

I did have an engine warning light come on, but it went off after I disconnected and serviced my battery; so I'm thinking a code reader to reset warning lights and codes; just in case I get any as I am around the 100,000km servicing mark.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Administrator
5,976 Posts
IMO, the most common app is Torque, then probably Jscan and CVTz50 for CVT related stuff.
I don't think there are any apps/scanners that can actually tell the level of the trans fluid, only the fluid temp.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops my mistake, I meant temperature not level (I corrected that). I checked youtube and there are a few videos warning against using the cheaper versions of ELM 327; I'm a better safe than sorry type of guy, so if anybody has used the ELM 327 or something else that has worked OK for the Patriot, then if you could post what you are safely using would be great.
Have a great day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Amazon seller said it will work with my phone and the Jeep Patriot; so just waiting for it too arrive from Amazon.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,121 Posts
I've had 5 different ELM327 bluetooth code readers. My first one, a Vgate, died of old age after about 5 years. I currently have one Vgate, one XTRONS, One OBDLink, and one that I can't remember. I've used them all on my Patriot and have had no problems with any of them, except the one that died. On my Patriot I use one exclusively with my Android radio, one with my phone, one with a tablet, and one with my laptop.

The apps I use with my Patriot are Torque Pro and CVTz50 on Android and AppCar FCA on my laptop. Those will all read trans temp.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just downloaded Torque Pro to my phone; I will have to par it once I get the ELM 327.

Will the ELM 327code reader work on my phone and my desktop or laptop computer?

·
Registered
165 Posts
veepeak obd2 ble + and Jscan for the app. Never heard of the app Torque Pro, but if folks above recommend then I'd go with that! Veepeak make good OBDII scanners though and if you ever change tyre size and it's throws your speedo and consequently your odometer off, Jscan can correct that by changing your tyre size on there. Good luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, do you need both the veepeak obd2 ble and the Jscan to change the tire size? Are you saying it physically adjusts the indicated speedometer reading?

I fitted 17 inch tires and am sure my speedo is out as my radio navigation maps show my speed a few Kilometers different to what my speedo indicates, so am not sure which one is correct?

I set my Jensen VX7020 radio navigation at the speed limit, so it always lets me know if I go over the speed limit, but it would be nice to make sure my actual speedo reading is correct.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,121 Posts
I just downloaded Torque Pro to my phone; I will have to par it once I get the ELM 327.

Will the ELM 327code reader work on my phone and my desktop or laptop computer?
Yes, the code reader will work with any Android, IOS, or Windows device. But only one at a time. For instance, if you have it paired to your phone and you want to use it with your laptop, you would first need to turn off the bluetooth on your phone before trying to pair it with your laptop. If it's paired to more than one device, the first one to connect gets to use it, just like any other bluetooth device.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So, do you need both the veepeak obd2 ble and the Jscan to change the tire size? Are you saying it physically adjusts the indicated speedometer reading?

I fitted 17 inch tires and am sure my speedo is out as my radio navigation maps show my speed a few Kilometers different to what my speedo indicates, so am not sure which one is correct?

I set my Jensen VX7020 radio navigation at the speed limit, so it always lets me know if I go over the speed limit, but it would be nice to make sure my actual speedo reading is correct.
Using JSCAN you can change the size of the tires in the vehicles computer. It will then use the size you entered to calculate vehicle speed. Thus, compensating for the different size tires and displaying the correct speed on your speedometer.

AppCar FCA on a Windows laptop can do this too, but I believe JSCAN costs less and works on Android.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I downloaded the OBD JScan to my phone, so can I use and pair both the Torque Pro and the JScan to the ELM 327, or do I have to disconnect one or the other? The JScan gives a list "Select OBD adapter will that come up as the ELM 327 once I get it and plug it in?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you only have the one ELM327 scanner, then there's no need to disconect anything to use a different app, but it you're running one app and then want to use the other right afterword, then you may need to force-stop the app you were using in order to be able to use the other. I've noticed using Torque, that when I'm finished with it and close it that it will stay running in the background, and stay connected to the code reader. When that happens I am unable to get another OBD app to connect. If you don't know how to force-stop an app then just reboot your phone between apps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help; I will have to check my tire size and adjust, so will need the JScan; then use the Torque Pro for the trans temp. I'm guessing if I have any codes or dash lights come on in the future I should be covered to figure out what is going wrong.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've never used JScan, so I'm not positive, but I believe that it can also show trans temp.

·
Registered
165 Posts

I think you can use other OBD2 scanners with the Jscan app too, not just veepeak scanners.

I see mr_et2 has answered your question RE speedo calibration etc, but if any problems crop up, just shout!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Jscan is $31 and I only need it to reset my speedometer as I have 17 inch tires; is there a less expensive app that resets the speedo if you change tire sizes?

I have THE Torque Pro and the ELM327 should be here Friday, so not sure what they can check.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As far as I know, JSCAN and AppCar FCA are the only apps that can change programming in the vehicles. Apps like Torque only read information from the vehicles computer and allow you to clear codes. If you've only got the one vehicle and you only want to get one app, get JSCAN. It can read every system in the vehicle and provide more information than Torque can, as well as allow you to change vehicle configuration.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, that is great info; I checked youtube and here are a few videos about JSCAN and Appcar FCA:

JSCAN: runs on your phone
---- using JSCANon a Jeep Wrangler.
--- - tire size speedometer adjust
--- LED anti flicker
------- Daytime Running Lights

APPCAR FCA: Looks like it is software and runs on a Windows laptop
After looking at the video shown below the list of items in the Appcar FCA app is extensive and covers most of the extras on my 2011 Jeep Patriot North such as backup camera, heated seats, AC, all power options etc. However The Appcar FCA: Looks like it is run on a windows laptop and possibly not a phone app?

I will go with the JSCAN as I can leave the ELM 327 in the glove box and use my cell phone to check any issues if out on the road; whereas the Appcar FCA looks like it is more comprehensive , but is windows software and requires a laptop. Note: I have contacted the Appcar company to see if they have the software in a phone app?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You are correct, Appcar FCA is Windows only. If I had known that JSCAN existed, I would have gone with that instead of AppCar... but I might spring for JSCAN too one of these days.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It looks like Appcar FCA has more functions and is very comprehensive when checking your car; The JSCAN phone app is very handy if you run into problems when out on the road.

For me it is a cost thing, so one or the other; if Appcar FCA had a phone app I would go with that as my car is fairly loaded and I am not sure if the JSCAN will let me adjust those oddball settings mentioned above; but as long as I can adjust the speedometer/tire size setting, the daytime running lights and resolve any codes or dash lights then JSCAN will work for me.

As an aside: I bypassed the DRL's on my car when I installed HID projector headlights and ran everything through my ignition switch on/ activating a live 12v feed from the fuse panel feeding two relays to the HID headlight system.

The only problem I have is when switching from side to headlights on the stalk "lights on" switch in the middle position high beam comes on, so I'm hoping I can switch off the DRLs and solve that problem; my DRL's come on as soon as I turn on the ignition, and switch off when I turn on low beam headlights, and is all separate to whatever the original lighting circuit was. It was quite a few years ago I asked the dealer if they would turn off the DRLs and they said "no" as they have to be on by law. If I had JSCAN back then it would have solved a lot of problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts