Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

it’s time for me to do my front wheel bearings in my 2017 Patriot High Altitude 4x4. I just rolled over 120k today

im looking at these loaded knuckle assemblies from A1auto.com
I hear mixed reviews and from what I gather I can expect to replace them again in a year and a half.
However, this is not a job I want to do twice. I may have to settle for twice as I can’t be off the road long to press in bearings or whatever.
  • what brand wheel bearings do you use?
  • How many miles have you put on your bearings.
  • what brand wheel bearings should be avoided?

I will edit for search terms (suggestions welcome). Hoping to make this a resource … I’m sure there’s many many patriots needing front bearings soon

Loaded Knuckles
$250 A1Auto
Link click here. Good warranty suspect quality

bearings prices from rock auto including tax, shipping to Ohio 2 quantity
Timken $109
SKF $97
Mopar $254
National $129

Wheel Bearing Press kit - Amazon -$120 harbor freight
$75 on Amazon
Slide Hammer- $200 refundable

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts

·
Administrator
7,730 Posts
Choosing bearing brands anymore can be hit / miss due to brands outsourcing their manufacturing.

That said, I'd look into SKF hubs and bearings:

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
I guess what I’m getting at is… is it really worth it to spend $120 on each bearings for Mopar bearings?
MOPAR 5105586AB
Personally, I don't think so. Especially since they're not known for their longevity.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As Sandstone mentioned, just going by brands today can be hit or miss, as so much manufacturing is outsourced and done overseas. Having spent 18+ years in the bearing and power transmission industry several years ago, at that time Timken was considered the premier manufacturer, all US made. I would buy them at cost and use nothing but in any and all jobs where I changed wheel, axle or diff bearings. SKF was also a very good brand. An OE Mopar part in this case is a crap shoot as to where they are getting them from. I find it amazing that today, so many bearing brands that were once separate companies are now either merged or owned by a few manufacturers, with much of the manufacturing being done off-shore.:(

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
As Sandstone mentioned, just going by brands today can be hit or miss, as so much manufacturing is outsourced and done overseas. Having spent 18+ years in the bearing and power transmission industry several years ago, at that time Timken was considered the premier manufacturer, all US made. I would buy them at cost and use nothing but in any and all jobs where I changed wheel, axle or diff bearings. SKF was also a very good brand. An OE Mopar part in this case is a crap shoot as to where they are getting them from. I find it amazing that today, so many bearing brands that were once separate companies are now either merged or owned by a few manufacturers, with much of the manufacturing being done off-shore.:(
An issue I find is that the reviews everywhere tend to be negative for anything so its hard to decide what to purchase.

·
Registered
79 Posts
An issue I find is that the reviews everywhere tend to be negative for anything so its hard to decide what to purchase.
Plus, it's also hard to trust or believe even the positive reviews on stuff these days. Who knows who wrote them. Many positive reviews are written very shortly after installing or using a new product. Yeah, unless the product is crap out of the box, almost any new product will be better than the failed product it replaced, but you often never hear back from a user 6 months or a year down the road to see how it's performing.

I also laugh at 1/2 of the negative reviews which are 100% worthless. A guy complains about the color or size of the box the product comes in, or that a product that was meant for a Jeep didn't fit his riding mower - crazy comment stuff. I guess I tend to value what more of the users on forums like this have to say based on personal experiences. For bearings, Timken or SKF and you probably have the best shot at a decent quality product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts