Jeep Patriot Forums banner

421 - 429 of 429 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Small bimmers are a lot of fun, had a 77 320i with the 2.0 4 cyl. Stick to the ground like glue and fast as you wanted to go, but they aren't family friendly and do draw a lot of attention (ticket bait). I miss the fun but love my riot more for all the things it can do, much more family fun and goes so many more places.

·
Major Modificator
497 Posts
Ticket bait is right. What was worse about mine is it was one of a kind in my town. Nobody had one that looked or sounded like mine. After 2 years of delivering pizzas in it cops would stare me down everytime i drove by them. Constantly had them follow me for a couple blocks. There were a couple times where i more or less, ran from the cops, and they knew who i was. After i got my patriot, all that went away. Its not nearly as fun of a vehicle, but at least it doesnt get me tickets, and its steering rack doesnt need rebuilt like the bmw lol steering shudder like a mofo in that car

·
Registered
824 Posts
2001 Buick Century - First car hated the thing felt like a grandma... (I did get it from my grandma) A/C was dead, millage screen was dead, and it was leaking oil. Miss the power of the engine though. Got ripped off on the trade in but I needed to get rid of it before the summer. B/c of my job A/C is necessary :/

2010 Honda Civic - Owned for a year then decided I should of bought the Jeep I wanted in the first place.

and now my patriot

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
1983 Cutlass Supreme. My first car. Changed only the oil filter 3 times a year as it was burning so much oil it was changing itself with what i added! Right after I had the motor rebuilt, I was T-boned in an accident and I used the insurance check to put down on my next.

1993 Chevrolet C1500 W/T pickup. Most reliable vehicle I've owned in the 6 years I had it. The 4.3L V-6 was easy to maintain and coupled with a 30 gallon gas tank, I was getting over 600 miles per tank! But having a RWD pickup through 6 Chicago winters took it's toll on my patience.

1999 Chevrolet K2500 LT extended cab pickup. I loved this truck! But with a 4.10 rear end and a 5.7L 350 under the hood, I was getting 11 mpg highway!! When gas hit over $4.00 a gallon, it was over $100 to fill up per week! Couldn't justify keeping it as my dd after I got a job with a 50 mile round trip commute.

2000 Ford Focus. Co-signed for the fiance. What a POS! I learned my lesson about purchasing a vehicle in its first year of production. Back and forth to the dealer over a dozen times for stupid crap not counting the recalls.

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. Sold the truck and bought this for the wife while I took the focus as my dd.

2003 Saturn L200. Great little car with no real problems.

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. Upgrade for the wife.

My 2014 Patriot :) Combines what I loved about my pickup with the practicality of the Saturn.

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Another upgrade for the wife. It sucks having 2 car payments but my promotion at work along with the overtime more than cover the cost.

sorry for the long winded post but I was bored and thought I would share.

·
7,649 Posts
1983 Cutlass Supreme. My first car. Changed only the oil filter 3 times a year as it was burning so much oil it was changing itself with what i added!
My Sister had a car like that. It was a Chevy Chevette approaching 300,000 miles on it and after awhile the lifters got noisy. She took it to the repair shop and complained, "Its ticking like a time bomb." Her mechanic replied, "That's what it is." :eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My previous vehicle was a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback. Loaded. It was a fun car to drive, good on gas. It had a killer Sony stereo with 12 speakers, and on the highway with that cranked & sunroof open I was almost in heaven. But I wanted a good solid vehicle, preferably a truck with 4x4. Am out in the country a lot, have to deal with crappy roads, gravel roads, or no roads. So I traded it in for a 2017 Patriot. Have had other 4x4s before, so far I'm liking the Patriot. Had to adjust, Focus was fast with good acceleration, Patriot is slow and lumbering. But I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I absolutely hate paying for gas, so I've tried fuel misers in the past.

In 2013 I purchased a Prius C, loved it, was a terrific car. I'm a fan of electric drivetrains, if we can ever get battery power and price under control they are completely awesome. However, I didn't like the monthly payment on a new vehicle and sold it after 20 months. Oh how I missed spending $20-30 on fuel and actually could drive forever and ever! It never, ever took more than $35 to fill up when it was bone dry.

After the Prius C, in 2015 I started driving a free 1999 Chevy Tahoe that was not being used and owned by a family member. I assumed ownership and started taking care of it. Talk about going from one side of the fuel consumption spectrum to the other, it was mind boggling how much I started using in fuel. From empty that thing would gladly take $90 to fill. But hey, it was a free vehicle.

Unfortunately, a lady ran a red light right into me during lunch on a workday last summer in 2016. I was perfectly fine and didn't have a scratch, but the vehicle was totaled. The back rear wheel axle and frame was bent from the impact. The first major accident I've experienced caused me to rethink driving smaller cars, if I had been in that Prius C there's no way I could have avoided injury based on the impact. So I started seeking larger vehicles with more crash impact/crumple zones.

In Oct 2016 I bought this used Jeep Patriot 08 model. It seemed like a middle ground choice: 4 cylinder engine would get far better fuel economy than a fuel sucking Tahoe, but its larger and higher off the ground and has more mass unlike a small car. Seems safe and economical.

And having the extra few inches of ground clearance is great in snow, you can't get away from city streets in a smaller car.

So far I like the choice, even though I purchased a Patriot that needed repairs I'm slowly getting that done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drove a '95 2-dr Suzuki Sidekick before I got my Patriot. Loved that little car, with its super short wheelbase and humongous windows. It was an amazing car in the winter before the engine finally died.

It was incredibly sparse though, no a/c, manual crank windows that took an effort to roll up, been bumped by hit-and-runs both in the front and the back, and little to no environmental insulation so winters with the car parked outside was insanely freezing. I used to always joke and say that this car is manual everything except for the transmission; so this Patriot is definitely a nice upgrade from the Suzuki.

421 - 429 of 429 Posts