Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don't want to offend anyone here, but as an early Patriot purchaser, I figure I have the right to ask the question.... What was going through the minds of Jeep management when they released the Patriot? I figure there are only so many people interested in “offroad capable” vehicles and Jeep styling. So why alienate first time buyers with a lemon, poor servicing, and crappy replacement parts? I bought a 2007 Patriot Sport FDII in March 2007. Just look at the issues I have faced over 6 years and 60,000 miles. Is this NORMAL? I haven't included other maintenance costs, including the first change in tires, when the OEM's didn't last 30K miles.

During the 36 month warranty:

Leaky windshield – Jeep made every excuse imaginable to avoid fixing it.
Bumper fell off – repaired during warranty
Speaker failure – repaired under warranty
Anti-lock / traction control failure - Jeep said they had no way to troubleshoot this! STILL broken.
Door Hinges (doors won't stay open) - They refused to fix this under warranty.

After warranty:

New front control arms and tie rod ends (38K miles) - $950
New front & rear rotors, calipers and pads (38K miles) - $900
New tires (because Jeep botched the alignment after it changed control arms) - $870
New rear rotors, calipers, pads and emergency shoes (42K miles) - $500
Replaced rear toe links (rubber bushings shot) (44K miles) - $150
Major rust perforation on passenger rear fender. Too far gone to patch. - Not repaired yet.
Replaced broken front coil spring (50K miles) - $400
Replaced rear lateral link, rear rotors, and pads (60K miles) - $715
Replace 4WD wheel sensor (60K miles) $125

Notice that the rear brake rotors have been changed 3 TIMES already, and calipers TWICE. The steel is such poor quality the brakes rust and lock up. I've never been able to get the rotors turned because they rust so quickly. The half shafts have so much rust on them, I wonder how long they will support the vehicle. Granted, I live in the “rust belt”. But I wash my car as frequently as possible, given the freezing weather. I haven't even gotten around to the struts or CV joints yet, and expect them to be due soon. I keep the car lubricated, and tuned up, but I wonder when the engine and transmission will fail. I didn't get the lifetime powertrain warranty. Jeep wouldn't give that to early buyers.

The kicker? This Patriot has never been off the highway. How could I trust it to survive an offroad trip, when it can't even survive the highway? Now I know many of you do your own repairs, and then stuff doesn't cost as much. But I have no place to work. So I am stuck with Jeep or independent shops.

The Patriot was billed as a “starter” jeep. Does Jeep actually think I will buy another of their cars, after this experience? Or does the company think there is an endless supply of suckers out there who will buy the car?

·
Registered
997 Posts
The Patriot was billed as a “starter” jeep. Does Jeep actually think I will buy another of their cars, after this experience? Or does the company think there is an endless supply of suckers out there who will buy the car?
Were you not aware of the condition of Chrysler Corporation in 2007?

aka Cerebus buyout in 2007: "Cerberus Capital was said to be less interested in rebuilding the auto manufacturer as a long-term investment, rather it was focused on turning a short-term profit though a leveraged buyout.[60]" - Wikipedia

2007 to 2009 was a very dark period for Chrysler.

I would say buyer beware on all car purchases.

What car manufacturer do you have up on a pedestal if you were to choose today?

Toyota? Could you trust a company that denied the sludge monster engines circa 1999? http://toyotasludge.com/ The rusting truck frames? http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/79-1st-generation-1995-5-2004/238100-toyota-extends-frame-rust-coverage-15-years-95-00-models.html And, their more recent problems?

Honda? A company that couldn't keep up with transmission replacements in the early 2000's? Did you read of their recent class action lawsuit awarded last week for severe engine problems that they initially denied (1.5 million cars): http://www.autonews.com/article/20131022/OEM11/131029975/american-honda-settles-class-action-suit-over-oil-burning-defect#axzz2iy5t5W7L

Subaru? Their fix for extensive circa 2000 head gasket leaks was a coolant additive? Have you read about their current FB engine oil consumption problem: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f183/2011-excessive-oil-consumption-merged-thread-119562/index159.html

GM? Well, they danced around and denied the Dexcool/intake gasket problem for years.

Ford? Are you aware of the pick up truck engines that blew out spark plugs because the engineers only had three threads to hold the plugs in?? http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/103042-living-ford-spark-plug-blow-out-problem.html

Yes, you got screwed royally.........as did I with my 2005 Caravan that rusted prematurely.

The problem is, it's hard to find a manufacturer that you can put on the pedestal and have faith in. Read the current Honda/Subaru debacles and how they told customers that their problems were "normal".....just like GM, Ford, Toyota, AND Chrysler.

It sucks for everyone that gets a lemon. No offense taken from your post. And, please excuse me if I came across a bit snarky. I ,too, am mad that I cannot trust ANY of the auto manufacturers 100%. One has to bash all auto mfg. equally! If you diss Chrysler for your problems, should you not diss all of the mfg. above for their problems also?

·
7,760 Posts
Fortunately Ignatz had none of those problems before 90,000 miles. Tires were replaced at reasonable intervals (on the 3rd set). Replaced control arms/ball joints at 90,000, and the CVT at 110,000. The CVT was replaced under the lifetime warranty. Even the brakes made it past 100,000 miles. Now approaching 130,000 -- state inspection next month and I'm sure there will be issues (engine light on), but at 130,000 I can't be surprised.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have to admit, all these types of posts have me thinking once my lease is up to switch to another vehicle...as much as I don't want to.

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
In my miniscule opinion, the early model Patriots and later model Patriots are two different animals... Relatively speaking anyway. It seems a lot of issues got smoothed out over the years.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
That is a terrible laundry list of problems and I do sympathize, but where ever you are taking it for the after market repairs is raping your wallet. Two control arms and two tie-rod ends are about $250 (or less) in parts and maybe 2-3 hours of labor to replace. Pads are $20-25 per axle and rotors are about $40 each. If you have even a smidge of mechanical ability, I would recommend investing in some tools and doing some of these repairs yourself. You'll save tons of money in the long haul. I do agree with you though in regards to buying another, if I had all of those problems with a vehicle. Thankfully my '08 has been pretty good.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
sorry to hear about your problems
does sound like a mess,
first thing costs are inflated as it seems you had all your work done at dealership rates.
can be 1/2 cost at non dealer shops.
dont know what would cause so much rust so quickly,
and 3 times? wondering if it was just surface rust and dealer took you for a ride.
i have had my share of problems with my 07,
but overall its been in good shape,
139k miles and still on stock suspension, all stock suspension parts.
pads at like 80k-100k, still stock rotors.
only rust is where i hit a deer and didnt repair from fender yet.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
my 12 patriot I have had for 1 full year. And have had 0 problems with it. I had a Chevy Colorado that was in the shop almost every month for something. Usually electrical problems. And the dealer was not mod friendly. I put a 2" lift and off road tires on it. And they blamed my a/c going out on the lift....

all the official reports, for what they are work have the patriot listed highly for reliability. I am sorry you had your problems, but it seems to be the exception to the rule for most people. And agree on above. I only take my cars to the dealer for warranty work. Everything else goes to a independent shop I trust.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My 12 had been problem free. My GMC Sierra however blew out 2 rear differentials in under 80,000 miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had one patriot. Drove it for a while then bought a newer one. If I had that bad of luck w/my 08 I wouldn't have bought a newer one.

Your experience almost sounds as bad as my experience w/my ford explorer.

·
7,760 Posts
I can't explain the rust, and I can't imagine a bumper falling off without some sort of trauma. Sometimes the vehicle looks OK after a bumper-thumper, but so many parts are plastic, rubber or fiberglass, they can tear in some place unseen, and something minor becomes the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.

Some of your repairs seem pre-mature, and -- this should not be a revelation -- all dealerships are not totally honest. Thankfully, many are honest and this should not be a revelation either.

I once bought a new '84 Plymouth Turismo (neat car). Just out of warranty the (now-defunct) dealer told me it wouldn't pass inspection because my front end was shot. They even implied the wheels could come flying off. I was panicked and furious! I told them not to do the work -- I wanted a rep from Chrysler to look at my vehicle and explain why with such low mileage (30,000 or so -- I forget) a virtually new vehicle was that dangerous. When I arrived later in the day it was all set and had an inspection sticker. I questioned why, and I was told, "Well, it passed but barely." I got another 50,000 trouble free miles and never did the work they said was oh so urgent.

On the bright side, a dozen years ago I brought my Pontiac with 100,000 miles on it, into Bob Mariano's in Concord, NH with a whining transmission. I was prepared for bad news (I'd had 2 other GM products with mediocre transmissions), but the problem was solved simply for a mere $150. They could have sold me a transmission, but they treated me honestly. When they switched from GM to Jeep/Dodge, so did I. Instead of one transmission, they've sold several cars. They did better by being honest. Honesty is still the best policy!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
No car company gets an "A" . I am just happy we actually sold our 110k mile subaru with its cracked head for 1500 bucks. Subaru's answer to their head problem is a bottle of stop leak which I suspected saved them a lot of money by getting their sorry engines past the warranty and out of their hair. The mechanic showed me a bottle, even has a subaru part number! What was subaru thinking... :doh: $$$

·
Registered
927 Posts
And my 2009 hasn't given me any major issues in 48,000 miles and almost 5 years of owning it. (And I still like it every morning when I see it as I go get in it to go to work...)

·
Banned
586 Posts
Most on here would never had considered the Pat back then. Chrysler was in deep doo doo and the Compass and Patriot were awful looking. Fiat stepped in and cleaned up all the Chrysler products and lots noticed. I would buy a 2011 and newer Pat and that's it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts