Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I take my Patriot in to the dealer for a popping noise coming from the right rear wheel. They charge me $54 to replace a bolt on the engine cover.. THE ENGINE COVER?? I get in and dont even get backed up and hear the popping. I go back in and they tell me oH Sorry it must be a shock. Then they tell me they would install the shock for free for the problem. My service advosir recommended that I return the next day and get a second opinion from another technician. SO I DO The second technician verify the popping is a shock. and they order it...

I go back a week later and then they spring it on me that I will be charged a little more labor but not much (after telling me the labor would be free).. I walk out paying a total of $103 (plus the $54 I allready paid last week) And guess what POP POP POP POP

Now I go back speak to the service manager and he and my service advisor tell me they will make this right.. HOW?? By charging me for another repair I dont need???? For making another promise and get me to write another check??

What would you do?? Am I wrong or should I get my $155 back ?? I can not help it they send me advertisements saying how well they know my vehicle. It's not my fault they thre my old shock away within 24 hours..

I fear credit toward another reapir will only mean the next repair will OBVIOUSLY cost more then what I have spent allready....

This is the same dealer I paid $179 to seal my leak and two trips back to dealer later the Patriot still leaks..

I Need some good advice other then find another dealer because there isnt one for 75 miles.. (and I d drive it but my faith in any dealer and not having to go back has now been affected)

·
Annoying Member
739 Posts
Stop going to that dealership. You could try to get your money back since the repaired something that did not need to be repaired and it did not fix the problem. I doubt they even replaced the bolt to begin with. It seems that you are being taken for a sucker.

·
POTM November 2008
8,868 Posts
I've never heard of a service advisor that acts as an ombudsman between customer and shop. It just sounds like a system that developed to insulate the shop from angry customers. Go Elsewhere.

What I would do. I NEVER take my car in with an unknown noise. I crawl around under there until I figure out what is wrong. I tell then to fix it while showing them exactly what I want fixed and how I expect it to work when finished. If you do not possess the mechanical skills I do, find a friend who does. Diagnosing the problem yourself is really the only way to get the car fixed the way you want it with some dealers. Yours is one of them. (mine is not.Mine is excellent)

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,636 Posts
There are NO bolts on the engine cover!! Its just a moulded lump of plastic. Its attatached by 4 ball studs . these studs are probably $7-£5 each & are a 2min DIY fix.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Keep all receipts and document everything (who you talked to, when you talked to them and what they promised or said). You should then ask for the service manager, (or the service managers boss if you were already talking to him/her) and explain your disappointment in their service. Stay calm and polite. I can't stress this enough! Calm and polite. You're dealing with another person with emotions/feelings and if you trample on his/her feelings, they will become confrontational and you'll get nowhere. If you become confrontational, they will also. If they become confrontational and you have not, put up your hands (universal body language) and calmly ask them why they are getting upset. The object is to win them over to your way of thinking. State the facts and show them what you documented without accusing them. Ask them how they would feel if they were in your shoes, and what they would do. Basically ask them how they would/should deal with themselves or their dealership. You want them to understand you only want your problem fixed without paying for repairs that did not fix the problem. Document this exchange as well. If you don't get satisfaction at this point, then I would contact Chrysler Customer Support and start again.

Pickup the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. The title is goofy I know, but it's a fantastic instruction manual for dealing with people and understanding basic human emotions/psyche. example: Everything you do is because you WANT something. Give to charity? you WANT to help or feel good or show people you care...there's a want there that explains why you gave. Everyone else is the same, and the only way to get someone to do what you want, is to make them WANT to do it. Keep this in the back of your head as you are dealing with the situation above.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Pickup the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. The title is goofy I know, but it's a fantastic instruction manual for dealing with people and understanding basic human emotions/psyche. example: Everything you do is because you WANT something. Give to charity? you WANT to help or feel good or show people you care...there's a want there that explains why you gave. Everyone else is the same, and the only way to get someone to do what you want, is to make them WANT to do it. Keep this in the back of your head as you are dealing with the situation above.
that's so funny that you mention that...as i'm staring at my copy on my bookshelf as i type and i was going to mention he give that a quick read before his next service department encounter haha

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
that's so funny that you mention that...as i'm staring at my copy on my bookshelf as i type and i was going to mention he give that a quick read before his next service department encounter haha
:smiley_thumbs_up:

I recommend the book to almost everyone. Some people it would never work for (think super selfish, self centered or cold hearted people), but it does work against them when you have to deal with them LOL.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
'seariot', I would simply ask to speak to the Service Manager AND the General Manager. CALMLY explain that you had your vehicle in there multiple times for the same issue and each time you were charged for a repair that did NOT fix the problem. then ask that you just want ALL of your money refunded. if they say they will look at it again, just simply say 'sorry, you've had 3 chances and I want my money back'.

above all, REMAIN CALM and do not get drawn into an arguement. YOU are in the right here and YOU DESERVE your money back, ALL OF IT.

good luck. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Pickup the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. The title is goofy I know, but it's a fantastic instruction manual for dealing with people and understanding basic human emotions/psyche.
x2... Excellent book BTW.

I agree with Todd's approach to this. The idea is to get them to stand in your shoes without them knowing that's what you were doing. Then their guilt factor will kick in and trust me... something good will come out of all of this.

If all else fails, does you state have a Consumer Service office you can go and file a complaint with?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
:smiley_thumbs_up:

I recommend the book to almost everyone. Some people it would never work for (think super selfish, self centered or cold hearted people), but it does work against them when you have to deal with them LOL.
yeah i agree. what's funny is that book was written i think 60 years ago...but it still applies today

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,636 Posts
Did you ever read the book by Lenny Bruce " How to Talk Dirty & Influence People"

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I agree with the comment about asking for the Manager along with the comment below. Calmly speaking to the Manager and tell them what you want. If they refuse ask to speak to the owner.

Generally if you are being reasonable (which you are), you can usually make some ground.

Although not all of us are mechanically inclined, it never hurts to carefully look around and diagnose yourself. Not suggesting you try to repair, just look for the obvious.

I've never heard of a service advisor that acts as an ombudsman between customer and shop. It just sounds like a system that developed to insulate the shop from angry customers. Go Elsewhere.

What I would do. I NEVER take my car in with an unknown noise. I crawl around under there until I figure out what is wrong. I tell then to fix it while showing them exactly what I want fixed and how I expect it to work when finished. If you do not possess the mechanical skills I do, find a friend who does. Diagnosing the problem yourself is really the only way to get the car fixed the way you want it with some dealers. Yours is one of them. (mine is not.Mine is excellent)

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Gee, I read that book back in the late 70's, but I'm sure it's still good today.

You got a lot of good advice here, be sure to let us know how this all works out.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I took mine in for a worn tie rod end that I knew what was wrong. I agree with jepster, that you need to figure out whats wrong with it before you take it in. I was 200 miles before the warranty was up and I purposely told them that I was leaving the next day to go on our vacation to Tennessee and we were too, not just a lie. They told me that it was the passenger tie rod end and would fix it and realign the vehicle. They also told me that my brakes were heavily worn and my rotors were rust-welded on. The told me that it needed to be fixed immediately or more damage would be done. Also this would cost me $283. Knowing something about my vehicles and doing a regular maintenance myself, I told no thank you. He looked very surprised and told me it needed to be done or would cause problems for us on our LONG trip. Once again I said no thank you and he alright. I drove two blocks down the road to the Carquest and bought a new set of pads for $36 and figured I would check the rotors when I took it apart. If the rotors needed to be replace I would go to town the next day and get new ones. I got home that night to do the brake job and son of a gun my brakes were very close to being new and didn't need replacing and the rotors were barely worn also. Made me mad and laugh at the same time

This is the very reason I never take my vehicles to the dealership unless for warranty work.

Sorry to hear about your luck but your story isn't surprising to me.

Goood Luck and hope you get everything fix.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I took the Patriot to a different dealer and got the pop fixed for $20 it was the seatback lock on the back seat. The first dealer is giving my a refund for the shock I did not need however,,,,,,,,,,,,, the leak issue has to be held by their subcontractor even though I wrote the check to the dealership they are passing the buck to the "3rd party company" who did the repair. All in all I will probably have to sue them for the money back and I will have to wait 60 days but I will win..

·
Registered
397 Posts
These people shouldn't be in business. I'd write a detailed letter to a local news station or take it to the state level. Shady business practices need to be exploited. Which dealer is this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They gave me my money back for the shcok I did not need..

HOWEVER, they refused to give me the $179 back for what they charged to fix the leak THAT IS STILL LEAKING!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally after the fifth attempt I HOPE I PRAY I THINK they got the leak fixed. Of course after I rammed a printout from this forum in their face and of course they acted like they thought it all up all by themselves.

It was a piece actually missing from the car under the front windshield.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts