Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:

I have been on track to order a 2010 (or buy a 2007-2009) Patriot for the last 4-6 weeks now. I have been really enjoying this website/forum for the last two weeks or so once I was able to register. But.... it seems there are a helluva lot of instances of leaking Patriots. Here are questions I am wondering about:

1. What would be a rough, ballpark percentage about how many Patriots have these significant leak issues?

2. Is it true that most leaking Patriots are experiencing a sunroof leak?

3. Are many of the non-sunroof Patriots leaking?

4. Is there any correlation between chance of leaking and whether you have a Sport or a Limited model?

If the likelihood of my experiencing a leak of the magnitude reported (water pouring out of the dome lights) is high, I may have to forgo the purchase of the first vehicle in a lot of years that I found appealing enough to want to purchase.

I am frugal to an extreme and usually keep vehicles till they run into the ground. Any insight/advice would be appreciated

PipeTobacco

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Hello Everyone:

I have been on track to order a 2010 (or buy a 2007-2009) Patriot for the last 4-6 weeks now. I have been really enjoying this website/forum for the last two weeks or so once I was able to register. But.... it seems there are a helluva lot of instances of leaking Patriots. Here are questions I am wondering about:

1. What would be a rough, ballpark percentage about how many Patriots have these significant leak issues?

2. Is it true that most leaking Patriots are experiencing a sunroof leak?

3. Are many of the non-sunroof Patriots leaking?

4. Is there any correlation between chance of leaking and whether you have a Sport or a Limited model?

If the likelihood of my experiencing a leak of the magnitude reported (water pouring out of the dome lights) is high, I may have to forgo the purchase of the first vehicle in a lot of years that I found appealing enough to want to purchase.

I am frugal to an extreme and usually keep vehicles till they run into the ground. Any insight/advice would be appreciated

PipeTobacco
i don't have a Patriot from i've been also contemplating buying a Patriot. a job switch and relocation has caused me to now re-evaluate that decision, but i am still interested in the Patriot.

the Patriot has had leak issues with the sun-roof, front-dome light, and rear-dome light. good news is that there are TSB's and many threads on how to fix them if you should be unlucky and have a defect. you are at an advantage over other people here, in that you have all of the research and tools to address the problem right away. the knowledgeable members here have learned from experience and many dealt with the leak issues before there was even a fix for it.

i would search the forum and print out every TSB related to the front-dome leak, sun-roof leak, and the rear-dome leak...and any other TSB which you want to have checked out on the vehicle you are looking at on the lot. tell your dealership that you want the vehicle inspected for these particular things BEFORE you take ownership. demand the inspections in writing and if you want to take it one step further, be present for the inspections and verify them yourself.

don't let the leak issues deter you from getting the Patriot, since it's a great vehicle, just make sure to be proactive and demand that your dealership verify all TSB's with the vehicle you are looking at on the lot. that's the best way to go in my opinion.

with regards to how long the Patriot will last...i'm not sure. but if you're looking to run a vehicle for 10 years and into the ground, maybe you might also want to look at Subaru...but not everyone is a fan of the "wagon" design

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
A small fraction of a very small fraction.
It is however the one thing that the people who have leaking Patriots seem to take time to mention and mention A LOT!
Some dealers get it fixed the first try. Other dealers seem to think it is a Jeep thing and Jeeps always leak so no repair is necessary.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Of the entire lot of Patriots produced, I'd estimate that 10-12% experience a leak. Visit most any other automotive forum and you'll find very similar results with any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have a patriot with a sunroof. It did leak once through the front map lights during a rainy day. I took it into the dealer and they found that my sunroof wasn't aligned to seal properly and my drainage holes from the sunroof were clogged. They fixed it. I've not had a leak in a auto wash or during a rainy day since. It just rained in N. California all day yesterday and today, and no leaks! :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Many under estimate their abilities when it comes to fixing their leak problem. We can often do a better job than the dealership when fixing what is really a low-tech issue.

Hole=leak
No hole=no leak

After reading the posts on this group I removed some of the trim after looking at the service and parts manual. I also examined many of the possable leak points. Using Some good quality clear silicone sealant I sealed these areas and reinstalled the trim. (100% Silicone Sealant lasts forever and can be removed if necessary)

These areas include:
  • Grommets in wheel well/fender
  • Weather stripping around doors
  • Roof rack and roof trim
  • Grommets behind rear lights
  • Rear hatch weather stripping
  • Rear hatch grommets
  • Rear hatch fittings/plug

Jeep Patriot Leak Detection (Shows Common Leak Areas)

The whole process took me 3 hours. Not sure if I would have had a leak, however now I know I won't.

The sunroof is a problem for some (I do not have one). From what I have heard even the best ones can leak a little.

To be frank we really should not have to go through the trouble, however I would rather spend the time then have to mess around with a dealer who would not spend the attention to detail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Special-ordered 2010 leaks through rear dome light - had it a total of two days; managed to put a whopping 64 miles on it before taking it back to service twice. Back again today. Poured rain all night. Insisted they park it outside as their previous 'sprinkler tests' failed. Given all the other posts regarding leaking Patriots if it fails again (I live in the friggin' NW) three strikes and they're out - I am using the Lemon Law if needed. What a buzz kill. Was so psyched about this car - now wished I bought the Outback. Little wonder Jeep is in the pickle they find themselves.

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
No sunroof.

What's it take before a car company initiates a recall?

Recalls are usually made for issues that can seriously cause safety issues, performance, and drive train issues. I highly doubt they would make one for the leaky roof syndrome.

·
Registered
549 Posts
No sunroof.
Told ya it was a myth. He's got no sunroof and he has the leak. I have the sunroof and I had the leak. Now mine is fixed :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a sun roof and don't have any leaks but am concerned about this possibility obviously.

However I am thinking that my Patriot and with the modifications I've done to it is actually working out very good towards what I need it for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a 2008 limited pat with sunroof in feb of 08 and had it until oct of this year and never had a single leak issue.

I got rid of the 08/ because i wanted to get out of my lease and get into a purchase plan and ended up getting a 2009 limited also with sunroof. The first night I brought it home it rained all night and the next morning there was water coming out of the front dome light. I took it in and they said there was a hose plugged or somethign like that and that it would never happen again. It hasn't, and I'm hoping it stays that way al though it's only been one month. Regardless I love the patriot

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been having leak issues since the second week of August 2009, I bought my Patriot on August 1st of 2009. Now I'm having even more problems. The power windows stopped working tonight on my home from work and the passenger side door window won't shut at all luckily I got the driver side window to motor up. It appears to be an electrical problem with my Patriot most likely b/c it got all wet inside twice due to the front dome light leak. I'm very dissatisfied with my patriot and would definitely not recommend buying one with a sunroof as I did with the Cash for clunkers program. I’m going back to the dealership for the fourth time next week with under 4,000 miles on my new ride. I'm not happy with this Jeep here in Upper Michigan!

·
Registered
144 Posts
goodymt, check/google your state's lemon laws. most states is 3 times back to dealer, if they can't fix it, then you can start the lemon law process. and you're on your 4th. you can get your money back, they will be forced to buy back your car. people want to brush it aside, like its a random problem, but if it hasn't happened to you, it will sooner or later. and then they will know what it feels like. the only thing you can do to make sure it never happens again is to get rid of it. its like having something hang over your head at all times, you go outside to your car, and you dont know if its going to leak today or something. that's a really comforting feeling knowing you paid $20k for a pos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts