• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot are almost identical (Except for the Freedom Drive II Patriots) I wanted to see how many FDII Patriots are actually out there and what kind of Jeeps Everyone else has.

:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have the FDII anyway, but i wouldn't call them identical. yeah, they're made on the same assembly line, and have the same powertrain (other than FDII), but they look NOTHING alike and are geared to be sold to 2 completely different groups. imo the 2 vehicles are fraternal twins at best, not identical. ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you listen closely you can hear the sound of hairs being split... :p

I'm with woody
<Insert joke here> :pepper:

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
how about

<Insert joke here> :pepper: woody..well,..it's become kind of a problem ever since I've been driving this ..eh..very masculine truck with its very manly name...wish I had bought one of them compasses instead.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
FDI or FDII really made no difference to me. I was more interested in the Sport vs. Limited options. I own 2 Jeeps (and frequently drive a 3rd)

My "Stable:"
1996 Dodge Intrepid
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2007 Jeep Patriot Limited

2004 Dodge Neon SXT (Fiance's)
2005 Jeep Wrangler (Mom's, though I often borrow it to tow my 4 wheeler)

Can't forget this beast... :p

·
Registered
822 Posts
Do boats count? I've got a 1972 sailboat that was built by Chrysler. :)

Can I vote twice? For the liberty, than for the boat?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
In our house, my wife drives "her" 2003 JGC, while letting me drive "our" 1998 XJ Cherokee:)
We both bought the cars pre-wedding (scheduled Aug. 08) which means two payment books with two different names on them... yet somehow I end up doing maintenance on all the vehicles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
as somebody mentioned in the other thread, you can't argue about people's tastes. in MY opinion they are not identical vehicles for many reasons but it seems like a few Compass owners are here crying out for some sort of acceptance from Patriot owners, when you don't need to. the only thing that matters is if YOU like YOUR truck. i personally don't like the looks of the Compass, and wanted the trail rated capability, so that's why i went with the Patriot, but that doesn't mean the Compass is a bad vehicle in any way.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Someone already did (sorry forgot to copy the name with the link but this is cool photoshop stuff!)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as somebody mentioned in the other thread, you can't argue about people's tastes. in MY opinion they are not identical vehicles for many reasons but it seems like a few Compass owners are here crying out for some sort of acceptance from Patriot owners, when you don't need to. the only thing that matters is if YOU like YOUR truck. i personally don't like the looks of the Compass, and wanted the trail rated capability, so that's why i went with the Patriot, but that doesn't mean the Compass is a bad vehicle in any way.
And what reasons would those be? (Aside from FDII and the Styling)
:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
you mean besides the obvious HUGE difference in vehicle looks, the demographic the vehicle is marketed to, off road package availability & upgrades in the Pat only, and suspension differences???? well besides everything obvious to the naked eye, i guess not much...
:icon_rolleyes:
yes, they've got the same guts (ie. engine, tranny, and chassis), nobody is disputing that fact, but you ask the uneducated laymen on the street if they would consider the 2 vehicles similar, let alone identical, and they would think you're crazy. we're not talking about the minor differences between a GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazer, but 2 vehicles that look almost nothing alike (outside of having the same general size and the Jeep badging).
look, i stand by my statement that the 2 vehicles are NOT identical twins, but fraternal twins (which somebody on the other thread agrees with, since i saw the same thing posted there). do you even know what fraternal twins are (and maybe the point is moot since we should say they're triplets, since the Caliber is just as closely related to the Pat & Compass)?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you mean besides the obvious HUGE difference in vehicle looks, the demographic the vehicle is marketed to, off road package availability & upgrades in the Pat only, and suspension differences???? well besides everything obvious to the naked eye, i guess not much...
yes, they've got the same guts (ie. engine, tranny, and chassis), nobody is disputing that fact, but you ask the uneducated laymen on the street if they would consider the 2 vehicles similar, let alone identical, and they would think you're crazy. we're not talking about the minor differences between a GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazer, but 2 vehicles that look almost nothing alike (outside of having the same general size and the Jeep badging).
look, i stand by my statement that the 2 vehicles are NOT identical twins, but fraternal twins (which somebody on the other thread agrees with, since i saw the same thing posted there). do you even know what fraternal twins are (and maybe the point is moot since we should say they're triplets, since the Caliber is just as closely related to the Pat & Compass)?
I asked what the differences were ASIDE FROM THE STYLING & FDII.
The suspension is probably tuned a Little differently so I'll give you that.
The Engine, Transmission, Platform are Identical. The Interior is nearly Identical. The options (aside from the FDII) are Identical.
The demographic that they're marketed to may indeed be different - but that has NOTHING to do with the vehicle itself as it's not a feature of the actual vehicle.
Numerous people in numerous threads have agreed with me that the vehicles are nearly Identical - but that is neither here nor there.
Yes I know what fraternal twins are. No need to insult me because I don't agree with you - Patriot owners sure do get touchy when you tell them the truth that there vehicle is almost identical to the Compass...
The Caliber is closely related too but not as close as the Compass is. (More engine options, different 4WD system)

So again I ask what are the differences ASIDE FROM THE STYLING & FDII???
(Demographics and Marketing don't constitute a difference)

·
Registered
45 Posts
i am not touchy that you would like to think your Compass is identical to my Pat, i am just curious why you are crying out for acceptance from Pat owners. you're 100% correct that they are identical, except for all their differences.

·
Registered
488 Posts
They're close enough. Jeep oughta make a "real" rally version of the Compass with a turbo 2.4, sport seats, and like 6 headlights. That would be cool.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i am not touchy that you would like to think your Compass is identical to my Pat, i am just curious why you are crying out for acceptance from Pat owners. you're 100% correct that they are identical, except for all their differences.
Sorry how exactly was I "crying out for acceptance from Pat owners"???

Yeah all those differenes that you've been asked (twice) to list but can't - because they don't exist. (FDII & Styling aside)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.