Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've owned my Patriot for 2 weeks now. With the heatwave here in Chicago this weekend, I've been using the AC a lot. After driving in stop and go traffic with the AC Running, I noticed when I parked that there was coolant leaking from my vehicle, I popped the hood and noticed that it was spewing out from the radiator cap, and the reservoir tank was empty. After letting the radiator cool down, I noticed that the radiator cap was halfway open. I don't know if it was left like that at the assembly plant, or at the dealer. I never bothered to check it since this is a a brand new car(big mistake). The owners manual recommends that the only coolant used with this car is Mopar (HOAT) Hybrid Organic Additive Technology 5 year coolant. I checked Pep boys and O'reillys, and they don't have this coolant. Am I stuck going back to the dealer which is 20 miles away just to get a couple gallons of this coolant with my other vehicle since I can not drive my car with very little coolant for 20 miles in 95 degree heat, or will any coolant from my local auto parts store work? Please advise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If there is coolant in your radiator (if you can see it) drive the Patriot to the dealer while watching your heat guage. It should be OK. Do not mix coolants. This stuff is expensive but your dealer should cover it seeing that was the way you received your car. Driving at a cooler time is preferred.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bill

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Believe it or not, water (distilled) does one hell of alot better at cooling than coolant. Of course, I am not sure about computer controlled engines anyway. I know race cars use straight water.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Unfortunately, plain water has a lower boiling point than water mixed with coolant, and distilled water alone will also not protect against corrosion very well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
They have a coolant Dex 3 I think?? They sell it at Pepboys and its made for GM veh. which will be fine for Jeeps

·
Registered
926 Posts
Just be sure you know what you're putting in there. There is a differense between OAT and HOAT coolants. Use either the Mopar stuff or the Zerex G-05.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ive use it to top off my reserve before a 2800 mile roadtrip and no issues
Its not the short term you have to worry about, its the long term. You could piss in it and drive across the country no problem, dont leave it in there for a few months or there will be problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called the dealer service dept., and I was told by the service advisor that I can use dexcool,(which was readily available at pepboys but the labeling of them says for GM vehicles.) I also asked him him about Zerex G-05, and he said their the same. The label on the zerex G-05 says that it is HOAT coolant. So, from what the service advisor told me, and based on the label on the zerex G-05, I went ahead and used Zerex G-05 straight from the bottle as advised by the service advisor. Thanks Armando and WOoden

·
Banned
87 Posts
I've owned my Patriot for 2 weeks now. With the heatwave here in Chicago this weekend, I've been using the AC a lot. After driving in stop and go traffic with the AC Running, I noticed when I parked that there was coolant leaking from my vehicle, I popped the hood and noticed that it was spewing out from the radiator cap, and the reservoir tank was empty. After letting the radiator cool down, I noticed that the radiator cap was halfway open. I don't know if it was left like that at the assembly plant, or at the dealer. I never bothered to check it since this is a a brand new car(big mistake). The owners manual recommends that the only coolant used with this car is Mopar (HOAT) Hybrid Organic Additive Technology 5 year coolant. I checked Pep boys and O'reillys, and they don't have this coolant. Am I stuck going back to the dealer which is 20 miles away just to get a couple gallons of this coolant with my other vehicle since I can not drive my car with very little coolant for 20 miles in 95 degree heat, or will any coolant from my local auto parts store work? Please advise.
You can also follow this procedure for Cool Weather Coolant Tips.

http://articles.directorym.com/10_Cool_Weather_Coolant_Tips-a970225.html

·
Registered
926 Posts
I called the dealer service dept., and I was told by the service advisor that I can use dexcool,(which was readily available at pepboys but the labeling of them says for GM vehicles.) I also asked him him about Zerex G-05, and he said their the same. The label on the zerex G-05 says that it is HOAT coolant. So, from what the service advisor told me, and based on the label on the zerex G-05, I went ahead and used Zerex G-05 straight from the bottle as advised by the service advisor. Thanks Armando and WOoden
You got the right coolant, but if the tech said what's in red, he's very mistaken.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Woodendog...where you getting your information from. I was told this is ok, and now a service tech said it was ok. Im just curious where your getting your info that will prove a Jeep service tech, and a retailer wrong???

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think you misunderstand me. Or maybe I misunderstood you. The Zerex G-05 is fine for your Jeep. What I meant was that if the service guy says G-05 is the same as Dex-cool or the Mopar coolant, he's wrong.
Dex is an Organic Acid Technology coolant.
G-05 is Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolant, as is the Mopar stuff.

Here's a somewhat helpful chart:

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/images/Zerex Application Chart - Z-1217.pdf

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ok, but the Dex is still ok to use for the Pat, I think thats the confusion. It may not be OEM Mopar but wont harm the coolant system

1 - 20 of 41 Posts