Jeep Patriot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I’m stumped with this new noise that started after a 10hour route. I changed the transmission fluid and the oil thinking it might help but It didn’t. 135k 2015 Patriot 6 speed

any thoughts!?

·
Administrator
8,082 Posts
Sounds like the OAD pulley on the alternator is shot.

If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope you can try taking a stick of wood and carefully touching it against the top of the alternator, then hold your ear to the stick and you should be able to hear it clearly and loudly, if that's what it is.

Also check for a red-brown dust coating (rust and dried grease) on the face of the alternator next to the pulley. (see image below).

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Audio equipment

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to get the stethoscope now

here’s pics of the alternator (note I just applied belt dressing)

it is confirmed however to be on the belt drive. I replaced the lower idler pulley but the whining is still there. It did remove some weird ringing.
when I run the engine without the belt it purrs great and fine

Tire Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Font Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I also note that this noise started when I was in a traffic jam. And playing with the slap shifter. Riding in first gear at 2k. I don’t think it matters but yeah

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,300 Posts
Whatever has the best warranty

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up the 140 amp alternator as an upgrade from the local parts store with the 3 year warranty. I feel like I made a mistake giving them the OEM alternator for the core. It was still working fine just the pulley went bad. Oh well it’s gone now! Hopefully I can muscle this thing back into it’s home today. Thanks for the help guys I’ll post another update when it’s fixed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like the OAD pulley on the alternator is shot.

If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope you can try taking a stick of wood and carefully touching it against the top of the alternator, then hold your ear to the stick and you should be able to hear it clearly and loudly, if that's what it is.

Also check for a red-brown dust coating (rust and dried grease) on the face of the alternator next to the pulley. (see image below).

View attachment 96992

Darn Sandman YOUR Good !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey all. I’m stumped with this new noise that started after a 10hour route. I changed the transmission fluid and the oil thinking it might help but It didn’t. 135k 2015 Patriot 6 speed

any thoughts!?

I remember going through strange noises from under the hood on a lot of my vehicles. My x- Father-In-Law was an engineer at Ford Motor Company. One of the things he showed me was anytime there was a noise coming from the engine compartment and he was unsure what the cause was, he'd loosen & remove the Belt/Belts, then start the engine & just let it run long enough to see if it was 1st, Belt Related. Then he would look deeper into it to see if it was the water pump & so on.
Now fast forward to the Jeep models like Compass, Liberty & Patriot models equipped with a CVT type Transmission, there's actually a Belt inside that allows this type of trans to, sorta like the Up-Shift & Down-Shift like a regular transmission would do.) So it could be that Inside-Belt, or one of the common issues those CVT Type Trans is, the front Fluid Filter could be starting to plug-up. If you didn't get a copy of the maintenance records from the prior owner, there are 2 (two) Fluid Filters. The one down in the bottom inside where the Fluid-Pan is, (You remove it, then change that filter) & then on the Top-Front of the Trans. I removed my left front tire & the plastic Splash-Guard that is located inside. *Continued below the FYI below.)

Just an FYI, I know you said that you changed the fluid but did you also change that Front Filter Too.... That filter up-front, is where the Fluid goes to the radiator so the Fluid can be cooled. So if that Filter starts to get cluged up, it can cause issues from the trans overheating........
*Back to the Front-Filter Removal;
Once you do that, you'll be able to see the Back-Side upper & lower 2 Bolts, of the 4 Bolts that hold that Filter Cover on. my suggestion is change those 2 Filters & see if it cures your issue. If it doesn't, I doubt there would be ab error-code stored showing it but a knowledgeable mechanic that has experience with CVT-Type Transmissions could probably help you, by letting you know it's the Belt inside the CVT....
Good Luck there with your vehicle. I'm sure someone here will be able to further help you if my comment did not.... Oh yea, as for my 2010 Jeep Patriot, I'm using it for tool storage at the moment simply because ''That Jeep'' is saving me a lot of cash, just as a Tool Cabinet. In the meantime, I just use my 93 Cherokee if I need to do any running around town, or our 06 Tucson, which is twice the car the Patriot is, plus it's a very reliable smaller SUV......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I remember going through strange noises from under the hood on a lot of my vehicles. My x- Father-In-Law was an engineer at Ford Motor Company. One of the things he showed me was anytime there was a noise coming from the engine compartment and he was unsure what the cause was, he'd loosen & remove the Belt/Belts, then start the engine & just let it run long enough to see if it was 1st, Belt Related. Then he would look deeper into it to see if it was the water pump & so on.
Now fast forward to the Jeep models like Compass, Liberty & Patriot models equipped with a CVT type Transmission, there's actually a Belt inside that allows this type of trans to, sorta like the Up-Shift & Down-Shift like a regular transmission would do.) So it could be that Inside-Belt, or one of the common issues those CVT Type Trans is, the front Fluid Filter could be starting to plug-up. If you didn't get a copy of the maintenance records from the prior owner, there are 2 (two) Fluid Filters. The one down in the bottom inside where the Fluid-Pan is, (You remove it, then change that filter) & then on the Top-Front of the Trans. I removed my left front tire & the plastic Splash-Guard that is located inside. *Continued below the FYI below.)

Just an FYI, I know you said that you changed the fluid but did you also change that Front Filter Too.... That filter up-front, is where the Fluid goes to the radiator so the Fluid can be cooled. So if that Filter starts to get cluged up, it can cause issues from the trans overheating........
*Back to the Front-Filter Removal;
Once you do that, you'll be able to see the Back-Side upper & lower 2 Bolts, of the 4 Bolts that hold that Filter Cover on. my suggestion is change those 2 Filters & see if it cures your issue. If it doesn't, I doubt there would be ab error-code stored showing it but a knowledgeable mechanic that has experience with CVT-Type Transmissions could probably help you, by letting you know it's the Belt inside the CVT....
Good Luck there with your vehicle. I'm sure someone here will be able to further help you if my comment did not.... Oh yea, as for my 2010 Jeep Patriot, I'm using it for tool storage at the moment simply because ''That Jeep'' is saving me a lot of cash, just as a Tool Cabinet. In the meantime, I just use my 93 Cherokee if I need to do any running around town, or our 06 Tucson, which is twice the car the Patriot is, plus it's a very reliable smaller SUV......
Hello. I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to contribute help to my issue. However, we have solved the noise issue. It was the alternator OAD pulley.
You make some great suggestions on running the engine without the serpentine belt as this did eliminate the noise when I ran my jeep with the belt removed.

I've replaced the alternator and fixed this issue. Thread should be locked. Anyways I have a 6 speed automatic not a CVT. I would never buy a patriot with a CVT! ;-) My only issue with the 6 speed automatic transmission is that you can't really change the filter... it's deep in there and from my research you have to drop the transmission out to change the filter and why bother droping the transmission unless I replace it so frequent fluid only -- no filter will have to do until the transmission dies. With my 6 speed auto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.