Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Weird knocking/ticking noise

7K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  DankJeep 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! I'm new here and purchased a used 2010 Jeep Patriot back in January of this year. I believe it had about 98k miles when I bought it. It's at 104k now. Anyways, this thing was running beautifully up until a couple weeks ago when it started to make a weird knocking/ticking sound. It's doesn't consistently tick, just kind of comes and goes. I took it to a mechanic and they said it's definitely the CVT going bad. It's weird to me considering it drives smooth and doesn't seem to have any trouble shifting gears. What are your thoughts? Anyone ever experienced this noise before?

Here is a link to the video because I'm not able to upload it to this website for some reason
Quick Share

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having this issue. Normally, when the CVT starts having issues it'll make a loud whining noise when you're driving. I've never heard of one making a noise like yours when it's in park. I'd suggest taking it to a different shop for diagnoses. However, the fluid and BOTH filters in the CVT need to be changed AT LEAST every 50-60k miles, the manual is VERY misleading in regards to this. And also, the spark plugs need to be changed every 30k.

Are there any dash lights on? Are there any codes present? Most auto part stores will scan codes for free.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having this issue. Normally, when the CVT starts having issues it'll make a loud whining noise when you're driving. I've never heard of one making a noise like yours when it's in park. I'd suggest taking it to a different shop for diagnoses. However, the fluid and BOTH filters in the CVT need to be changed AT LEAST ever 50-60k miles, the manual is VERY misleading in regards to this. And also, the spark plugs need to be changed every 30k.

Are there any dash lights on? Are there any codes present? Most auto part stores will scan codes for free.
Thanks for the reply! I guess the lack of whine is a good sign. I took a look at the spark plugs with a buddy and they definitely haven't been changed recently because they are clapped out. I highly doubt the fluid or the filters have been changed in the CVT either. There aren't any dash lights on, which I found odd. I haven't checked for any codes since there were no lights.

#4 ·
Hi Dhurl welcome to the forum.

If it's something mechaical like a bad bearing (it does happen) then there may not be any lights or codes, however you can take a mechanics stethoscope (or a stick of wood if you don't have a stethoscope) and probe around on the transmission case to see if the sound is louder. You may have to take the plastic shield off the bottom to get better access.

#8 ·
Update: after taking the jeep through a test drive and thoroughly testing the transmission, there seems to be no issues with the trans. Instead, my engine did die at one point, causing loss of power steering, acceleration, etc. I killed the power and started the engine again and it started running normally. When I got home and put the vehicle in park. It had an abnormal shuddering. I took the bottom access cover off and used a stethoscope to probe around the engine and transmission. I heard/ felt the most distinct knocking coming from this component at the bottom forward right of the engine bay. Does anyone know what component it is and if it's likely all the issues I've been experiencing are coming from it?

#9 ·
It looks like the A/C compressor. Yes, they can make a knocking sound.

The alternator has a pulley on it that can also make the same kind of sound when it goes bad.
Look at the alternator face and see if there's any brownish-red dust on it.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

#10 ·

No brownish/red color on the alternator face that I can see. I'm assuming the alternator is the part directly above the compressor (the part I recorded at the start of the video for about 8 seconds). Is there a chance that a bad transmission would cause a ticking noise in that specific area? To me it seems like the issue is most likely the compressor but I do maintenance on planes so cars are entirely new to me

#13 · (Edited)
Correct me if wrong. Doesn't engagement of the A/C cause more drag on the serpentine belt? My point is to also consider that increased belt drag might be causing one of the other belt components to show it's defect. Maybe the tensioner, idler pulleys, bad bearing, etc.. Sometimes sound can radiate from one part to another, causing you to think the wrong part is defective. I tend to make assumptions during diagnosis, which leads me in the wrong direction. Keep an open mind to all possibilities.

Listen to this bad tensioner noise at minute 00:36

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.