Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a whole pile of suspension work done on my jeep under warranty, well the last work under warranty as i'm now over 80000kms, I took the opportunity to weigh the 2 sets of wheels and tires on my Patriot.

Before I get to that I was also thinking about how the larger tires on my stock 16" rims may have contributed to wearing out the control arms ball joints, rear tow links ect that had been replaced TWICE in 80000kms, but it turns out they aren't as heavy as I thought.

Stock 17" rims with faily worn SRA's weight 46lbs, according to tire rack the sra's weigh 28lbs, which means the stock 17" aluminum rims are 18lbs

Stock 16" rims with Goodyear Wrangler Territory Tires weigh 61lbs. The Territory tires are a Canadian Tire specific tread, however the Duratracs are nearly identical and listed as 39lbs. Which would make the stock steelies 22lbs,

I never have got around to getting a spare tire for my other set of rims, but since they are 10 ply they are pretty much tough as nails, and I'll now be driving on them all winter.

I also measured the spare tire and it weighed 55lbs, and seeing as it was totally useless I removed it. So looking at weights

My 16" set of tires weighs 15lbs X 4 = 60lbs more unsprung weight than the stock 17", but with the 17" full size spare removed i'm only up a net weight of 5lbs, pretty insignifigant.

Also since my tires are 4% larger than stock my rpms have dropped too, which helped on the highway with a FDII AND i'm getting better mileage as a result. Last tank of gas purely highway was 8.2L 100kms. driving 100kms/h

So depending on your situation, you may be able to get larger tires and not totally wreck your gas mileage.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
My 16" set of tires weighs 15lbs X 4 = 60lbs more unsprung weight than the stock 17", but with the 17" full size spare removed i'm only up a net weight of 5lbs, pretty insignifigant.
No, removing the spare removed 55 lbs of sprung weight. You still have 60 lbs of UNsprung weight hanging on the suspension. Unless you were just talking in terms of total vehicle weight.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I now have 102k km or 63k miles on the Patriot and so far no front suspension woes but when the time comes I will get the Moog ball joints and tie rod ends. I have about 20k km with steel wheels and winter tires and over 80k km with the alloy wheels and 215/65/17 Wranglers or Cooper CS 4 tires. Our Pat is unlifted and has FD1 and the only off/road I do with it is muddy roads and stubble fields en route to duck ponds. I recently did a 1100 km hunting trip in our Cherokee and got less than 20 mpg, the only good thing was the Michelin LTX tires survived a lot of rough gravel but next time I will take the Patriot.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, removing the spare removed 55 lbs of sprung weight. You still have 60 lbs of UNsprung weight hanging on the suspension. Unless you were just talking in terms of total vehicle weight.
You are correct, sorry 55lbs less vehicle weight, still have the unsprung weight, thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stock 17" rims with faily worn SRA's weight 46lbs, according to tire rack the sra's weigh 28lbs, which means the stock 17" aluminum rims are 18lbs

Stock 16" rims with Goodyear Wrangler Territory Tires weigh 61lbs. The Territory tires are a Canadian Tire specific tread, however the Duratracs are nearly identical and listed as 39lbs. Which would make the stock steelies 22lbs,
Looking on TireRack, seems pretty costly to find 17" wheels that light and the stock 17" wheels look a lot beefier than those.

"A British study finds that about 10 to 20 percent of a tire's total weight is worn off during its lifetime..."

Source: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2661/when-the-rubber-meets-the-road-where-does-it-go

Using your 46 lbs, if you assumed 10% weight loss off your fairly worn SRAs, that would make the stock 17" wheels weigh around 21 lbs; still lighter than I would have guessed.

Anyone else have any weight info on the stock 17" wheels?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I appreciate your post on this, as I'm changing from the stock 16" steel wheels/tire to after-market 17" alloy wheels/tires, it's of interest to me.

Not sure if your stock 16" steels wheels are different (as your tires are); mine are off my 2014 Patriot Sport: The stock 16" steel wheels and stock Goodyear Eagle LS-2 (205/70/16) tires with 3994 miles on them weighed between 47.8 lbs and 48.2 lbs and averaged 48.0 lbs (excluding the lug nuts) - the front tires were the lighter tires (I had not rotated them yet).

I could not weigh the tries separately (as they are still mounted on the wheels), but according to Tirerack.com, the Goodyear Eagle LS-2 (205/70/16) weigh 24 lbs, making my 16" stock steel wheels weigh 24 lbs (without the lug nuts).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Doesn't anyone have a set of Stock rims that are unmounted?....just put one on a scale.:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
Yes! I do!

23lbs 9oz according to my cheap postage scale. Seems about right with the calculations from earlier!

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
And my Goodyear Eagle LS2 weighs just under 24lbs too. :beerchug:

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I picked up at set of 16" steel Liberty wheels, with some LT225/75/16 tires on them. The tires were pretty much trashed without much tread left on them, but wanted to do a test fit, a few things:

Liberty KJ center bore is 71.5mm MK's are 67.1mm

This meant that the wheel wouldn't be totally centered on the hub, but the lug nuts would center the wheel, yes I know this isn't ideal but at the moment I didn'r have any hub rings.

More importantly after mounting them and going for a drive found out 2 out of the 4 wheels are terrible out of balance and probably bent. Not a huge issue as I paid 100$ for the set.

I did have a chance to weigh these tires (Load range E) and my factory 17" aluminum wheels, with 235/65/17 Cooper Discoverer AT/3 Tires

16" Steel KJ Wheel with LT225/75/16 (Load range E) = 60lbs
17" Aluminum MK Wheel with 235/65/17 = 54lbs

I was surprised not a huge amount of weight between the 2, but since its unsprung weight it does make a difference.

PS I plastidipped the wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts