Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night we had a weather bomb in my area. basically a weather bomb is any storm event where the stuff hits the fan. last nights was +100km/hr winds rain and a loss of power :( and worst of all my pat got hit. don't know what it was that hit the pat but now i need everyone's help. can this be repaired or does the whole bumper need to be replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
It was pretty wicked here in Moncton to... haven't seen winds and rain like that in a long time... stuff that was under my deck in the back yard was on my front yard this morning.
As for the bumper... don't think it can be fixed. Similar thing happened to my Sister-in-law's Durango bumper... plastic breaks and then needs to be replaced....

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
so last night we had a weather bomb in my area. basically a weather bomb is any storm event where the stuff hits the fan. last nights was +100km/hr winds rain and a loss of power :( and worst of all my pat got hit. don't know what it was that hit the pat but now i need everyone's help. can this be repaired or does the whole bumper need to be replaced?
That hurts big...if I were in your shoes, I would duct tape the crack and wait until Spring comes..in the meantime you can use the time to find a great deal on a replacement..no clue on how it may affect the airbag system:(

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
It won't look like original. Would it kill them to make the bumper in 3 parts so it is easier and cheaper to fix?

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
If it's just the plastic cover, then I agree with waiting. You might be able to find one, same color, in a bone yard, then just replace the plastic cover.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
It won't look like original. Would it kill them to make the bumper in 3 parts so it is easier and cheaper to fix?
... but then it would take the person on the line building the car 1 more minute...

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,357 Posts
That's true Joe, but you also have to tack that minute on to every other guy in the line and now your talking tons of man hours lost and lowered production theoretically. Everything has its cost in the end. When I worked at Chevy, and understood way less about economics than I do now, I asked a GM guy one day whys they didn't put an emblem on the bigger EXT Trailblazer to make it more easily recognizable. I figured that it couldn't be a huge deal to slap a three letter sticker that cost a buck on a $40,000 vehicle. As he explained to me, if I took that $1 sticker and multiplied it by the 3-400,000 of those trucks built, added on the cost of the labor for the guy to put them on or the cost of the machine to do it, the cost of maintenance on the machine etc, that all of a sudden that $1 sticker becomes a multi-million dollar issue... kinda the same as the bumper issue.

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,357 Posts
And that concludes your regularly scheduled, caffeine fueled, sleep deprived rambling of the day from me:D

-thats right, leave it to the weatherguy to go off on economics instead of the weather issue- :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
There is 6:25 I'm never getting back......

I would look for a used bumper cover. they are simple to replace yourself. I took mine off to install the trailer hitch and it was easy.
They just wrote my patriot off and will certainly sell it for parts, so I know there are some out there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if it were fiber glass i would be able to fix it myself. been working with the stuff my whole life on my dad's boat. plastic on the other hand not so much. also repairing it might not be possible because it cracked right along where it connects to the other pieces of the body so where the push rivets or w/e holds that bumper on are cracked. going tomorrow to a body shop to see :( but i wont fix it until spring.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
It's not hard to replace, so just search the junk yards for one the same color, easy enough and no paint or anything required.

Most junk yards can search a data base of bone yards in the area for parts like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts