Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Jeepsters,

I wanted to share a story about our Jeep dealership, Darcars in Silver Spring, MD as a warning to those of you thinking about purchasing a Jeep there.

My son needed a more reliable vehicle for college, so he used his college money to buy a 2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4. He thoroughly enjoys the vehicle, which is what made what happened even harder.

Part of the purchase deal included 3 free oil changes from the dealership. When he was home on a break, he got one of those oil changes. About 3,000 miles later, when he had only 10,800 miles on the Jeep, the engine seized up. The dealership over 4 hours away at his college said "ENGINE LOST OIL FROM LOOSE OIL FILTER RESULTING IN LOWER END ENGINE DAMAGE". According to that dealership, the last to do an oil change did not tighten the filter properly.

I contacted Darcars, but because it went so far after the oil change, they say they are not responsible. A friend who oversaw thousands of Jeeps for the USPS said that distance does not matter - when it is not put on properly, the oil filter can come loose at any time.

Darcars jilted us out of another ~$4,000 because they would not back their service work.

Know before you visit the dealership.

·
I don't reMember
1,133 Posts
I think you should contact Chrysler about this. One of their dealers is doing crappy work and not standing behind it. I would hope they could apply some pressure, because that is a huge repair bill. The worse you can get from Chrysler is a no.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you should contact Chrysler about this. One of their dealers is doing crappy work and not standing behind it. I would hope they could apply some pressure, because that is a huge repair bill. The worse you can get from Chrysler is a no.
We did contact them, and they said "they cannot help us" simply because it was one dealership saying that the other one was at fault. How about that bad to worse situation? Chrysler stands behind their dealerships first, then their customers.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Was the oil slowly leaking out over the course of that 3000 miles or did the filter blow off and dump it out in one shot?

This is also why one should check their oil level, if not at every fill up, at least every other. Don't think just because it's a new vehicle that the fluid levels don't need to be inspected every now and then. Coolant can evaporate out of the overflow tank, power steering hoses can develop leaks and gaskets can fail. If caught before catastrophe, the problems can be fixed much cheaper.

Don't take this the wrong way Tink, your situation sucks and the dealer that did the work should own up to it, but there is also certain amount of personal responsibility that goes along with owning and maintaining a vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts