Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is there a general guideline regarding how often one should have the Patriot washed? The 2014 manual states vaguely that it should be done regularly.

FYI, my Pat is parked on-street, and has to deal with Midwest (Chicago) winters.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
1) DON'T take it to an auto wash, Wash it yourself, auto washes scratch the hell out of your paint

2) wash it when it's dirty, but at least twice a year wash AND wax it (every 6 months or so).

3) with midwest winters, at least once a year clean the bottom off and coat it with a rust prevention, like Fluidfilm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I've had exterior damage from a mechanical car wash with the rollers on a prior vehicle, but I was hoping a touch free wash might be better in that regard.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Car = Dirty = Wash it

Do you have a showering interval? :D

Reactions: Topher

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've had exterior damage from a mechanical car wash with the rollers on a prior vehicle, but I was hoping a touch free wash might be better in that regard.
Touch free sucks ... only thing I think they are useful for is getting salt off in winter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My dad and I just go to the car wash, and spray down the car to get most of the dirt off, and then we go through the automatic wash. Does a pretty damn good job. Cause for some reason, washing cars by hand for me doesn't go very well.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Those of us who live in "hard-water" country usually plumb a soft-water tap near the car washing location--rinsing off doesn't require and IMMEDIATE wipe-down. But, as I get lazier in my advancing years, I take it to a "surf-thru" mechanical wash--many brushes, and I don't see any damage in my 8 year old paint. After all, it's a Jeep, not a BMW or.??

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
The swirl marks are most apparent on dark colored cars, and metallic paint cars, I don't remember off the top of my head what the color of yours was Jack, but my red one was pretty bad after a couple of washes. (not car washes, but washes out in the desert!)

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Don't worry Jack, at half your age I'm lazy and throw the Benz through the scrubber wash with good results. The touchless leaves it dirty still .... will always prefer hand wash tho.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,393 Posts
Car = Dirty = Wash it
Pretty much...

If its cold out, then wait until its above freezing to wash it and the salt off. But Ive done it as often as weekly last year when the salt "dust clouds" were flying off the roads as people drove over it.

Its been a month or so since my last wash due to temperature.

During winter , I use touchless washes, since I dont trust the rust and junk from previous cars being fully removed on the touch wash systems. Otherwise its hand wash when its warm enough outside.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Or salt?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wash mine at least once a week and use Klasse synthetic polish and sealant 2 to 3 times a year. But, it gets dirty and treated like a Jeep. Just remember that many DOT agencies use a salt mixture that is highly corrosive. Same as the shower comment - I love working out in the yard, but I am not showing up at work smelling like a law mower.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It seems to me that the more often you wash your vehicle, the easier it is to get it clean each time.
I can get our vehicles fairly clean for 3 or 4 bucks @ the car wash. When it gets warmer, I just wash them with the hose in the driveway.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It seems to me that the more often you wash your vehicle, the easier it is to get it clean each time.
I can get our vehicles fairly clean for 3 or 4 bucks @ the car wash. When it gets warmer, I just wash them with the hose in the driveway.
So true...easier to keep it clean than to get it clean.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live in the snow belt, where they use a beet juice brine solution prior to salt and coal ash. Even after the snow is gone, and the temperature begins staying warm, the road still gets on the paint. Because of this, I wash the vehicle every time I get gas...by driving through the touchless machine across the street. I don't like the systems that use brushes, but sometimes you have no choice in that matter.

It's worked for me for years...no reason to change what works.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
They have unlimited car washes here for $24.95 a month .... however even that leaves me with a once a year hand wash/wax + 2-4 car washes a year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts