Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in the Patriot this morning (2007 model Limited Diesel UK, owned since new.)........

Headlights came on immediately key turned to position 2 except I hadn't turned them on, they will not respond to the switch at all, no wipers, no washers, no indicators etc, no fog lights, no flash, no main beam. Everything else appears to work that is not going through the driving shaft area. Hazards work, rear heater for window works, everything in that part of the console is fine.

Any ideas please.

Damned bank holiday weekend and cannot get any help here.

·
8,011 Posts
PS, its a holiday weekend here, too. Happy 2018! I hope you get your Patriot fixed in time to enjoy the weekend.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so far but a fuse isn't going to be the reason the lights have come on permanently on ignition 2. Lights will not respond to light switch. Hoping it's not the TIPM as over here in the UK, they think of a number, increase it by 2 and then double it again :) :)

No indicators etc etc.

Jeep parts here are a complete rip off.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, think I may have found the answer in another old thread on this site. Appears it could be the multi function switches causing the problem. Have to have a good look at that but first try the old negative off the battery for a while etc, also try shorting both leads when taken off the battery to reset TIPM, so I am told.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Let's not overlook a bad ground--that's usually the culprit with strange and intermittent electrical problems--but where to start? If someone on this site has access to a wiring diagram, perhaps we can put together a location(s) chart for future use. The first thing I'd do is pull the battery, the support box and look under there. I think you'll a myriad of common connections that probably have suffered from battery and environmental corrosion...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hello cherkhan, I took a peek at my 2014 factory service manual and can provide background information that may or may not assist you. Our Patriots seem to have "a failsafe mode as described here:

"Exterior Lamp Fail-Safe Operation - The ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) and the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) provide a fail-safe feature which will automatically turn ON the low beam headlamps and all park lamps when the ignition switch is in the ON position and there is no detected input from the Steering Control Module (SCM), or when there is no communication over the Local Interface Network (LIN) or Controller Area Network (CAN) data buses. "

There are numerous systems to be considered:
- multifunction switch (turn signal lever) to operate the headlamps
- SCM steering wheel control module
- LIN bus Local Interface Network
- EMIC ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster
- CAN bus Controller Area Network
- TIPM Totally Intergrated Power Module

- Wiring that connects all these systems

The manual recommends using a proper scan tool to read DTC codes and isolate the problem. Hopefully, it is something simple like a defective multifunction switch (turn signal lever).

I hope this helps at least explain the possible background of the problem. You either have to try the parts swap routine (steering column light switch) and pray, or follow the service manual diagnostic procedure.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Let's not overlook a bad ground--that's usually the culprit with strange and intermittent electrical problems--but where to start? If someone on this site has access to a wiring diagram, perhaps we can put together a location(s) chart for future use. The first thing I'd do is pull the battery, the support box and look under there. I think you'll a myriad of common connections that probably have suffered from battery and environmental corrosion...

Jack, wiring diagrams are available at this site: BBB Industries - TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

Ignatz, maybe we should sticky this link somewhere or put it in our Knowledge Base.

Everyone - wishing you a good 2018 ahead of us.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Find the head light relay and pull it out then replace with a known good relay then see what happens.
Do this relay swap with ignition off or battery disconnected.
The relay contacts could be welded closed.

Try that before diving into the TIPM or the multi-function switch.

·
8,011 Posts
Thanks Sandstone! I just got back from some errands to complete a household project (I started re-doing a bathroom about a year ago; almost done now). Thought I'd check up on this tread. I see you guys have things well in hand.

Cherkhan, I hope you get your wheels turning soon.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Find the head light relay and pull it out then replace with a known good relay then see what happens.
Do this relay swap with ignition off or battery disconnected.
The relay contacts could be welded closed.

Try that before diving into the TIPM or the multi-function switch.
I don't think there is a headlamp on/off relay. To my knowledge, this is controlled by the TIPM.

In abbreviated FSM form: The turn signal/headlamp lever is monitored by the SCM. Signals are sent via the LIN bus to the EMIC, then through the CAN bus to the TIPM. The TIPM
" responds to these messages by providing a pulse width modulated voltage output to the headlamps.........to illuminate the selected headlamp filaments."

Sorry guys. My repeated parroting of the FSM manual is done when I have little hands on experience with the problem at hand. I'm a weekend warrior at best, but intrigued to learn more diagnostics and repairs. Electronics/computer control is mind boggling.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't think there is a headlamp on/off relay. To my knowledge, this is controlled by the TIPM.......
You could be right.
Since i've had no serious issues with my Pat so far i haven't dived into its guts yet alone picked up a service manual for it.

Regardless there needs to be a high current headlight relay somewhere whether its mechanical or solid state embedded in the TIPM or relay box.

Because of the high current headlights demand, i would be surprised if the primary hi power head light relay is embedded in the TIPM.
There might be a smaller low power relay in the TIPM that triggers the primary high power head light relay located somewhere else.
Granted at this point i don't know one way or the other.
Gonna take a look at my owner's manual and see if there's any clues there.

IMO, that TIPM might of looked good on the engineering drawing board but in real world application it turned out to be a troubleshooting PITA.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
There is a set of relays in the front driver side fender, below the headlight. I haven't figured out what all of them are for. One thread tied the radiator fans to these relays.

I also looked at the wiring diagrams on the stickied link that Sandstone just put up, but I could not find any relay symbols in the headlamp systems. Maybe I am missing something.

I agree about your TIPM comments. The amount of computer controls on today's vehicles is frightening.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I went through my Owners Manual quickly while waiting for my Pat to warm up today.
Maybe i went through it too fast but couldn't find any fuse or relay info.
Looked up FUSE in the index...no dice same with relays.

My old XJ manual has all FUSE info including where their located in the vehicle.
The bottom lid on the relay box has a diagram of each relay and what its used for.
Same with my F150 Owners manual.

Could be the Pat manual its designed for owners to take their vehicle to the dealership for any little easily fixed DIY problem.
When i get time gonna try the CD that came with my Pat if i can find it. lol Maybe its got more technical info.
Gonna also try to down load Sandstone's schematic and see if it makes any sense.

I need to quit procrastinating and pick up a Pat service manual.
I'll need it sooner or later with 41K+ miles so far.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Treegrower, can you provide a link to the diagram you mentioned?
What i need is a real electrical schematic of the head light circuit.

Just downloaded a PDF file per sandstone's link.
Its the fuse layout on the 2014 TIPM..... so thats where the fuses are!
Head light washer fuse but no main head light fuse shown that i can see.

This 'is' getting interesting.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, trying to find a a left multi switch is not easy. Nothing here in the UK at all, one in Germany £55 plus postage, one in Spain £77 plus postage,. Going to call the dealers here and see what they have. Have to balance cost with not being able to use the car and do my Saturday driving job. Trouble is, without indicators and wipers it is not really safe to drive.

Send for it and I have a time delay and therefore not able to get to work. Go to dealers and we have the problem of being a danger on the road. Lots of junctions and roundabouts here.

·
8,011 Posts
Hmm, trying to find a a left multi switch is not easy. Nothing here in the UK at all, one in Germany £55 plus postage, one in Spain £77 plus postage,. Going to call the dealers here and see what they have. Have to balance cost with not being able to use the car and do my Saturday driving job. Trouble is, without indicators and wipers it is not really safe to drive.

Send for it and I have a time delay and therefore not able to get to work. Go to dealers and we have the problem of being a danger on the road. Lots of junctions and roundabouts here.
At least in my state we can use hand signals instead of signal lights. You'll have to check with your authorities.

Don't go when its raining and no one will ever know your wipers aren't working.

It would be one heartless cop that writes you up if you booked and appointment with a shop and you're OTW to get it fixed. And if you got a ticket, it might be worth the time in court to let a judge hear your story. (In college I worked in District Court and I saw a few odd-ball cases and usually the judges were quite reasonable).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts