Jeep Patriot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I may be wrong but, it IS working for me!

If I set it for 72F and then bump it to 78F, the fan speeds up for a while and the car warms up.

If it is set at 76F and the fan is running and I turn it down a bit, the fan slows down or goes off.

Can't check the AC as it hasn't gone much above freezing for the past month that I've had it installed.

I'm very interested in this upgrade so I'm waiting to see the final result, but I have a question for you jeffkash. I understand it's working for you, but is the automatic feature actually working? Meaning when you turn it to 79 degrees I know the blower speeds up, etc. But have you left it at that temperature for long enough to see if it shuts off once it reaches that temperature? That's what the infrared sensor should do I believe.

Just like a house furnace. I set it to 70 so once it gets to that temperature it should shut off and turn back on once it drops below that mark. I thought this is how the Auto HVAC controls would work too?! Someone please correct me if I'm completely wrong here lol.

·
Angry Riot
1,035 Posts
In theory it would work because there is a sensor in the vents, but without a sensor in the cabin it won't work perfectly, it needs another sensor I can't find part number (havnt dug too much) pretty much I posted a photo with how it works and why it should/shouldn't work perfectly when done fully, it's like installing a radio with the Bluetooth except you don't have the Bluetooth components, unless you find the sensor and install that, also must be a low canBUS auto temp control or else it won't work

Sent from super laggy and crashing, bug riddled AutoGuide.com Free App that sucks

·
Registered
7 Posts
According to the manual there are only 3 sensors:

24 - Heating and Air Conditioning / Controls / SENSOR, Ambient Temperature / Description

DESCRIPTION
The ambient air temperature sensor is a variable resistor that monitors the air temperature outside of the vehicle. The ATC system uses the sensor data to maintain optimum passenger compartment temperature levels. The ambient air temperature sensor is mounted to the front bumper beam.

24 - Heating and Air Conditioning / Controls / SENSOR, Evaporator Temperature / Description
DESCRIPTION

The evaporator temperature sensor measures the temperature of the conditioned air downstream of the A/C evaporator. The evaporator temperature sensor is an electrical thermistor (1) mounted on the end of a molded plastic housing (2) that is inserted into the driver side of the HVAC housing near the coldest point of the A/C evaporator. The evaporator temperature sensor is retained in the HVAC housing by two integral retaining tabs (3) and is connected to the vehicle electrical system by use of a wire lead and connector (4) with two terminals.

24 - Heating and Air Conditioning / Controls / SENSOR, Infrared Temperature / Description
DESCRIPTION

NOTE: Typical infrared temperature sensor shown.

The infrared temperature sensor consists of an infrared transducer concealed behind a clear lens (2) located in a molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle (1) and a mounting tab (3).

The infrared sensor is used only on models equipped with the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) heating-A/C system.

I have the part numbers for all 4 parts required to make conversion and trying to put together a document to describe both the opeartion and what needs to be changed. Be aware this involves Starscan as the ATC control module will throw a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) if not matched with the vehicles TIPM - so be aware that unless you have a Starscan code you will need to take it the dealer at some point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Part Numbers for HVAC Conversion

Part Numbers for the 4 parts required:

Need 4 Parts:
1. Controls
2. Heater control/Resister
3. Infrared Temperature Sensor
4. Dome lamp (Front)

1. Controls (A/C and Heater Controls)

55111133AE 1 74 HAB (Farenheit)
55111134AE 1 74 HAB (Celsius)

2. Heater Control/Resister (Module, Power, Blower Motor)

68018105AB 1 74 HAB

3. Infrared Temperature Control (Sensor, Infrared)
Note: Infrared Sensor comes with Reading Lamp 1EQ00HDAAC/1EQ09HDAAB

55111901AB 1 74

4. Dome Lamp (Lamp, Reading)
Note: 1EQ00HDAAC is without Sunroof switch, 1EQ09HDAAB is with Sunroof switch

1EQ00HDAAC 1 74 HAB
1EQ09HDAAB 1 74 HAB, GWG

You will need to make the hole in the headliner a little bigger for the replacement dome lamp (see factory Chrysler parts if you want see diagram of part), check to see if you have a plugin for the sensor (will depend on headliner wiring harness) if not you need three lengths of 22 gauge cable to run from dome light down A pillar behind glovebox and over to the ATC control under radio. Utilizes pins 1, 2 and 4 from infrared sender to 3, 15 and 16 of C1 plug that goes in back of ATC control.

Cost of parts is 70/100 for ATC, 50/60 for map light and 30/40 for Heater Resister module. Not sure what dealer would charge to update TIPM to ne configuration and to calibrate HVAC. - maybe $200? It should be less than 2 hours work.

That is it in a nutshell. I do have wiring diagrams but they don't post well here. I will send tpo those that ask until I can find a way to cleanup the diagrams (SVG does not convert well to JPEG).

Have fun and keep on jeeping !!

·
Banned
729 Posts
^^^ thats some good research right there!

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
RossJeep sent me the full size schematics and I put them up on my Photobucket.

I'll have to leave it to him to add the technical stuff but here they are:

Here is the entirety of the tech stuff in his email (in case he doesn't make it back for a while), hope this helps.

The numbers in diagram translate to

C83 Circuit number

22 Wire Gauge

DB/YL Dark Blue Wire with Yellow tracer

Also made an error in my other post as it is pins 1,3 and 4 that are used off infrared sensor

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
OK, better but still small.
Anyone needs the full sized wiring diagram shoot me your email via PM and I'll send it along outside of this forum's photo handing and Photobucket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So did your ATC climate control project work out? I want to do the same to mine but am unsure if it is a simple as just replacing the control unit or if more steps may be required?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
338 Posts
I'm working on the same project and have already ordered the ATC unit. Am I to understand that it will work with just the unit swap, but be less accurate? And that if you want precision you need the blower module, dome light with connectors, and infrared sensor? If correct, do both methods require Starscan number?

Also, if the latter is the case, does anyone know of some one who lives along the 40 between Quebec City and Ontario border, or along the 401 between the Ontario border and Tornoto or as far north as Orillia who happens to have such a code? And who may be willing to help for payment in beer or cash?

·
Registered
338 Posts

1EQ00HDAAC 1 74 HAB
1EQ09HDAAB 1 74 HAB, GWG
Reference below...

On this website with that part number the sensor is listed as an intrusion sensor to the export model's security system and not an infrared sensor for th ATC

Ref: Part 1eq00hdaac

·
Registered
338 Posts

Need 4 Parts:
1. Controls
2. Heater control/Resister
3. Infrared Temperature Sensor
4. Dome lamp (Front)

1. Controls (A/C and Heater Controls)

55111133AE 1 74 HAB (Farenheit)
55111134AE 1 74 HAB (Celsius)

2. Heater Control/Resister (Module, Power, Blower Motor)

68018105AB 1 74 HAB

3. Infrared Temperature Control (Sensor, Infrared)
Note: Infrared Sensor comes with Reading Lamp 1EQ00HDAAC/1EQ09HDAAB

55111901AB 1 74

1EQ00HDAAC 1 74 HAB
1EQ09HDAAB 1 74 HAB, GWG

You will need to make the hole in the headliner a little bigger for the replacement dome lamp (see factory Chrysler parts if you want see diagram of part), check to see if you have a plugin for the sensor (will depend on headliner wiring harness) if not you need three lengths of 22 gauge cable to run from dome light down A pillar behind glovebox and over to the ATC control under radio. Utilizes pins 1, 2 and 4 from infrared sender to 3, 15 and 16 of C1 plug that goes in back of ATC control.

Cost of parts is 70/100 for ATC, 50/60 for map light and 30/40 for Heater Resister module. Not sure what dealer would charge to update TIPM to ne configuration and to calibrate HVAC. - maybe $200? It should be less than 2 hours work.

That is it in a nutshell. I do have wiring diagrams but they don't post well here. I will send tpo those that ask until I can find a way to cleanup the diagrams (SVG does not convert well to JPEG).

Have fun and keep on jeeping !!
You listed the blower control module, but what about the zone control module?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Quick update on my upgrade project:
I only upgraded the ATC controls, but did not upgrade the dome light or get the extra sensor.
It works, but definitely not as responsive as I'd like it. It just feels like it doesn't react to changes in the cabin temperature so I often have to manually dial it in.
Will order the dome light to complete the setup, it's just too pricey.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ok. I spent the cash and ordered the whole load minus the dome lamp as I feel that I can rig some sort of mount using my current reading lamp anyway. When the parts arrive I'll start installing and if it all works as should I'll do a write-up

We'll see if this mod can be done for under $400 CDN

[Update]

New daughter was born. Project has been put on hold. Sorry for late reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is kind of related but not excatly, i have a 2011 latitude and the zone locator dial on my manual controls no longer functions. by that i mean anyting past the feet only setting it only on the defroster, all the postions are there but the only on the first half of the dial. do you guys think it is the controls them selves or something else

·
Registered
338 Posts
So, after purchasing the service CD I don't see anything for atc other than the control, blower module, and incorporation of the infrared sensor.

According the the operation section, the ATC gets its inputs from two of the sensors already installed and the Infrared sensor. The controller does all of the work and includes its own ability to scan for DTCs within its system and relay them to the computer.

So if you get the lamp that includes a spot to clip the sensor, put the sensor in it, wire down the a-pillar, change the blower module and the controllert, han everything should work correctly with no faults.

The only thing I'm missing is tthe lamp assy right now and the connector for the sensor with some lengths of wire. It's like 130$ for the lamp so it'll be a bit before I can finish the tests. I may wire it all up without the lamp as a proof of concept. It'll be ugly, but functional and then I'll do a write-up with pictures.

If anyone has the lamp and is willing to ship to Canada to make this quicker than let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I HAVE MADE 100% SUCCESS!!!

For anyone that is interested, I followed this thread and took it another step further to wire in the sensor. I got the whole assembly from eBay and it came with the pigtail for the sensor. I work in the service department at the Jeep dealer and was able to gain access to all the wiring diagrams which literally listed exactly what wires to splice in to; there's a total of 3 wires.

Parts You Will Need:
The new map light assembly with the sensor
HVAC Controls
The pigtail that plugs into the infrared sensor in the map light so you can use it to make your own harness
About 10 feet of 22/4 shielded wire
Butt connectors and quick splice connectors--or solder whatever you want to do
Heat shrink or electrical tape to protect connections

What you need to do is first take out the old overhead map lights, you **WILL need to cut the headliner** to make the hole bigger for the new piece going in to accommodate for the sensor.

I don't know if anyone will read this or cares because this thread has been inactive for awhile, but if anyone is interested, let me know and I can post up the wiring diagrams I have and I can give more detail ofwhat has to be done. BUT IT IS POSSIBLE TO ADD THIS **WITHOUT** A RE FLASH OR PROGRAM

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
For anyone that is interested, I followed this thread and took it another step further to wire in the sensor. I got the whole assembly from eBay and it came with the pigtail for the sensor. I work in the service department at the Jeep dealer and was able to gain access to all the wiring diagrams which literally listed exactly what wires to splice in to; there's a total of 3 wires.

Parts You Will Need:
The new map light assembly with the sensor
HVAC Controls
The pigtail that plugs into the infrared sensor in the map light so you can use it to make your own harness
About 10 feet of 22/4 shielded wire
Butt connectors and quick splice connectors--or solder whatever you want to do
Heat shrink or electrical tape to protect connections

What you need to do is first take out the old overhead map lights, you **WILL need to cut the headliner** to make the hole bigger for the new piece going in to accommodate for the sensor.

I don't know if anyone will read this or cares because this thread has been inactive for awhile, but if anyone is interested, let me know and I can post up the wiring diagrams I have and I can give more detail ofwhat has to be done. BUT IT IS POSSIBLE TO ADD THIS **WITHOUT** A RE FLASH OR PROGRAM
Thanks! I DID READ THIS! This was a feature I was going to order on my '17, but was missing on the left-over '16 the 'god-father' discussed with me. Details, Please! PM or general post. Again, thnx!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts