Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have been looking at 4, 6x9 Kicker Speakers for my front and back speakers, they are sold by mopar and also on justforjeeps.com . Has anyone installed these or bought them? And if so was it worth the money? On justforjeeps.com it says that it is made for the patriot and can be installed without having to have a harness or anything like that. Any information leading me up to a buy and sucsessful install would be greatly appreciated.
Here is the link to justforjeeps http://www.justforjeeps.com/kifr6x9sp.html

:rockon:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Decent

The Kicker's are decent. But IMO for the money they are a pricey upgrade. I am going to go with aftermarket and just get some wire harnesses. With the wire harness you don't do any cutting. I am just starting to research but I think I would like the Rockford Fosgate speakers which "should" fit.. The 1693's fit the Back for sure, but not 100% sure about the front. go to crutchfield for the fit guide and it will certainly help you . You can even get a 6.5" speaker and use a mount adaptor and you have a larger selection. Crutchfield tells you what fits and what doesn't. Personally for the money I think the 77KICK06's are just over-priced for the money. However, if money is no object Kicker is a decent brand. In the 90's they were considered Primo and everyone had a pair...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did go with the kickers the money wasn't much of an object in decideding wether or not to get them I will say that time was though, I needed new ones bad and these litteraly took 20 minutes to install all 4 and they have extreamly good bass pound!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I did go with the kickers the money wasn't much of an object in decideding wether or not to get them I will say that time was though, I needed new ones bad and these litteraly took 20 minutes to install all 4 and they have extreamly good bass pound!
Hi!!!! how much did you pay for the set of 4 speakers??? need an amp or with all the stock system???

thnx!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just ordered 2 pairs last night, myself ....

I think 4 of them to replace both front and back pairs in my '07 Patriot Sport cost me about $198 including shipping. I want to swap out the factory stereo eventually, but don't plan on installing a separate sub box or power amp. Given that, I think these speakers make a lot of sense as an easy upgrade.

Too many times in the past, I've tried to upgrade factory speakers in a car or truck, only to find that the ones I got weren't matched very well to the acoustics and mounting arrangements of the originals. By the time you screw around with making custom trim rings and splicing wires so you can bypass original factory connectors for the stock speakers, you wind up with a "hack job". Plus, you can run into issues where the power output of the factory head-unit just isn't enough to drive your replacement speakers optimally. (I had some GREAT sounding Infinity speakers I once bought for a Pontiac that sounded "dead" once I got them installed. They just needed more wattage than the original stereo could provide to perform as expected.)

I figure these should be designed to work well in the power range of a non-amplified factory head-unit, AND can handle more power if/when I upgrade that later on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A follow-up ....

My Kicker speakers arrived today and I installed them tonight. I'd say that if you're on a budget, you could probably just replace the front 2 in the doors and you'll be really pleased with the improvement in sound. But doing all 4 is even better.

You'll need a couple of Torx drivers to get the speakers swapped, a T-15 and a T-20. The plastic speaker covers on the door panels pop off, but they're on pretty tight. I used a putty knife to get under a section and pry it up, and then worked my way around, popping the rest off. (A trim removal tool would probably be best, but I didn't own one.)

Once the original speaker is exposed, you'll find it's screwed in place with 2 silver and 2 black screws. The black screws are much longer and a little thinner than the silver ones. (These are the ones you'll use a T-15 Torx driver on.) The silver ones take the T-20 size. (At first, I tried an allen wrench that I believe was a 1/8" size, but it didn't fit well and was a struggle. I tried all sorts of other sizes, metric and standard, and none of my other allen keys fit any better, so I'd say don't bother going that route!)

Then you simply unsnap the plastic wiring harness from the speaker and re-attach it to the Kicker upgraded speaker. It'll fit perfectly where the original speaker went. Put the bolts back in the same holes they came out of and snap the plastic cover back on and you're done!

I was amazed at the improvement in sound quality with these! As someone else said, the bass is WAY superior, but the treble is "cleaner" too. You can tell the Kicker speakers are much heavier than the stock ones and have bigger magnets, and you're going from a single paper cone to polypropylene and a separate dome tweeter mounted on top. I'm only using the basic AM/FM stereo with single CD player (no MP3) -- but these speakers make it sound like I'm running a small power amp or better head unit.

This is the best improvement I ever remember getting when upgrading door speakers in a vehicle without changing out a factory head unit first!

Hey,
I have been looking at 4, 6x9 Kicker Speakers for my front and back speakers, they are sold by mopar and also on justforjeeps.com . Has anyone installed these or bought them? And if so was it worth the money? On justforjeeps.com it says that it is made for the patriot and can be installed without having to have a harness or anything like that. Any information leading me up to a buy and sucsessful install would be greatly appreciated.

:rockon:

·
Registered
429 Posts
great!!! btw, I´m looking for those kicker speakers, but I need the size for the front and rear speakers... where can I finda that info? thnx!

·
Registered
102 Posts
re: kicker speakers

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/77kick06.html

The link above to Mopar Super Center has the best price I could find on the speakers that fit our Patriots. Ignore the web pages that claim these only fit the front. The exact same speakers fit both front and rear on my base audio 4-speaker setup in my '07 Patriot Sport. (And although I don't own one of their other cars or trucks to say for sure? Everything I've read and looked up indicates to me that Chrysler really liked to keep this stuff as standard as possible across their entire range of products. So basically, whether you have a Jeep Patriot or a Dodge Caliber or Challenger? These same speakers will fit right up in place of whatever factory speakers you pull out, and the wiring harness connector will be the same too.) It looks like on "Premium audio" versions of these stereos in some of their vehicles, all they did was put a pair of these speakers in the rear, and in front they substituted another variation where the tweeter is separate and mounts in holes up in the dashboard. Then the other speakers for the front doors are just like these except with no tweeter mounted on top of the main driver speaker. If you wanted, you could still put a pair of these in place of those front door speakers but you'd just end up with duplicate tweeters in the doors and in the dash, and that might not be so great.

great!!! btw, I´m looking for those kicker speakers, but I need the size for the front and rear speakers... where can I finda that info? thnx!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts