Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was just surfing around Jeep's site while I'm bored at work, and I was looking through the Owner's manual. It seems that they have completed changed the service schedule to what is now 8,000 mile(13,000km) service increments. When I first bought my 2008, I was concerned about the 6,000 mile oil change increment just due to growing up with a mechanic for a father, and having it beat into my head "Thou shalt change thy oil every 3,000 miles!" Now, according to Jeep, the same engine that I had in the 08 can go 8,000 miles on conventional oil in the 2011. Just an interesting find for all you new 2011 owners. Im sure that my dealership will still nag me to death with letters telling me I need a change every 3,000 like they did on the last one...

·
2012 POTY
6,154 Posts
That is an interesting find. Do you still have an oil change reminder popping up on your 2011? As I believe Todde was saying, just to go by computer reminder. If it wasn't useful, Jeep wouldn't have spent money on research and installing that thing in your Pats. Prior to 2011 models, the light would come on close to 6k intervals anyway so might as well follow that. I think 8k is pushing it especially if driving mostly in stop/go traffic. But I only have had my Jeep for 6 months and 3500 miles and changed the oil only once at 2500 (light came on).

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The light in my 08 used to come on about every 2,000-2,500 miles, so I never made it to 6,000 anyways. As of right now, I've only put about 1,100 miles on the new one, so no light yet.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The light in my Pat comes on like every 6-8k. I read online yesterday about oil should be changed ever 7,500 miles now for conventional oil.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Now, according to Jeep, the same engine that I had in the 08 can go 8,000 miles on conventional oil in the 2011.
Well, not really. What you consider conventional 5W20 oil is really a synthetic blend. With the exception of pure synthetic 5W20, all other 5W20 is a blend of some sort. I usually tout how great modern oil is, but even I think pushing conventional oil to 8,000 miles is a stretch. A synthetic blend should have no trouble with 8k miles though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, not really. What you consider conventional 5W20 oil is really a synthetic blend. With the exception of pure synthetic 5W20, all other 5W20 is a blend of some sort. I usually tout how great modern oil is, but even I think pushing conventional oil to 8,000 miles is a stretch. A synthetic blend should have no trouble with 8k miles though.
Hmmm... I was thinking I had heard this before when I noticed Canadian Tire had the cheap 5w20 on sale... are all 5w20's really a syn blend? What about these cheap recycled oils?

This extended service interval would be something to think about for anyone who's running conventional 5w30 in these engines, as it is not usually a synthetic blend.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
On fully Synthetic every 12 months or 12,000 miles wont hurt it!!

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I change mine at 3K because I'm not convinced it will be easy to get a new engine/overhaul under the lifetime warranty. I find that 8000 mile interval very curious. I let mine go 6K this last time and it was looking dark brown and nasty by then.

Take a close look at the filter. Is it the same one for sure? Did they upgrade the filter somehow.

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the synthetic/blend/conventional topic, i was just digging into Mobil website a little and saw that they offer 5W20 in all three, including conventional. So, apparently not all 5W20s are blends. I guess my best bet if I plan on sticking to Chryslers schedule is to switch to at a minimum a synth blend for my first change. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just choose an oil, run it for 5000 miles, take a sample and have it analyzed. Then you'll be able to see how the oil held up and how far you can take it.

By the way, a friend of mine has been running 10,000 mile intervals on synthetic 5W20 in her Honda for 5 years and the UOA's look great.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Google Blackstone or Terry Dyson, you should be able to find both. Terry is more expensive, but also more ...better.

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After looking at those prices, I see that it has become way less important to me... This may be something I would look into if I planned on using the same oil for 25-30K miles but in changing it every 5-10K, I dont see the use. $300-500 to see if there is crud in my oil after I use it harldy seems worth it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Either you're looking at the wrong prices, or the prices have drastically increased. The last one I had done was less than $40.....

You just need the standard $25 test and add TBN, you should get a decent idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts