Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... i have a tricky question. I don’t really have photoshop skills, so the other night i found some cad drawings on here and created a chopped version of the Patriot pen and paper style.
2021DBE4-2B46-4A47-A4E7-793D1C089FF0.jpeg 6F8BA53B-F4C3-46DE-8B27-0A56FA545507.jpeg
I always thought it would be cool to drop a more powerful engine in my pat, and to build a true 4wd system. I also wanted to attempt a solid front axle swap. I know this is all a lot of work and it “would be easier to just buy a real jeep” but i really want to build a Patriot like no ones ever seen. Originally, i thought i would need to reinforce the unibody to make it more off-road capable, and ofc, because of all the chopping. Surprisingly, the Patriot is barely longer, wider, and has a longer wheelbase by .3 inches than an LJ. So what if i could essentially bolt the shell of my unibody pat, onto the frame of an LJ. That way i can save myself all the trouble of a custom solid axle swap, It’ll already have a real 4x4, i can use aftermarket suspension and drivetrain parts for an LJ, and there’s already loads of people who have done hemi swaps on LJs and TJs, so i would only have to figure out how to get it into the engine bay of the Patriot. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
6,361 Posts
FWIW, someone put a Patriot shell on an old Pathfinder:

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,689 Posts
^this.

And, I've got the idea to extend the axles and whatnot to give more travel. Trophy trucks and Hummvees have independent suspensions, so why not a Patriot? Just got to improve on the power and whatnot.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
I love the look!

·
Registered
19 Posts
🤔.... With that look, it'd be even cooler if you could just open it up dune buggy style. Ditch the carpets, get the seats redone with all weather / water proof coverings. Especially because if you can keep the fold down option in the back seats, you won't hardly loose much usable cargo space by cutting the back and adding the tilted hatch.

The flip is, if you're going to carry your spare on the hatch, what are you going to do with the spare tire space?🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess you could just redo it and make it the new, deeper floor. Then your cargo space would go up. Or you could raise it for a bigger gas tank or add a 2nd one. Though a built in cooler would be awesome. 😍

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
🤔.... With that look, it'd be even cooler if you could just open it up dune buggy style. Ditch the carpets, get the seats redone with all weather / water proof coverings. Especially because if you can keep the fold down option in the back seats, you won't hardly loose much usable cargo space by cutting the back and adding the tilted hatch.

The flip is, if you're going to carry your spare on the hatch, what are you going to do with the spare tire space?🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess you could just redo it and make it the new, deeper floor. Then your cargo space would go up. Or you could raise it for a bigger gas tank or add a 2nd one. Though a built in cooler would be awesome. 😍
I was thinking i might have to use that spare tire compartment to house my battery and possibly different fluid reserveriors in order to fit a hemi, not sure ab anything yet, it’ll all be experimenation down the road. With that said, I’ve also thought about the bigger gas tank, a hemi would obviously burn through like 3x the gas so my 12 gallon tank would be empty way sooner, i think if i can fit it on an LJ frame i should have enough room to put in a gas tank, maybe with a slight body lift and some skid plates, and a suspension lift ofc, i dont think it would hang too low. I really like the idea of weatherproofing the inside though, i haven’t given it much thought but i might just pull out the back seats entirely and add to the LJ look.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, someone put a Patriot shell on an old Pathfinder:
That gives me hope it can be done! Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^this.

And, I've got the idea to extend the axles and whatnot to give more travel. Trophy trucks and Hummvees have independent suspensions, so why not a Patriot? Just got to improve on the power and whatnot.
Thats just not as jeepy 🤷‍♂️ Still cool tho and to each his own.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,689 Posts
Not the traditional way, but potentially simpler than a full frame swap. But, like you said, to each their own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts