Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Not much activity on the MyJeepCompass forum so I thought I'd post my issue here for some possible help/assistance.

My 2007 Compass 4x4 with CVT (174,000 mi) for the last couple of weeks has made a strange clunking or ratcheting noise while driving, similar to what you'd hear when on a roller coaster as it slowly climbs up the track. Here are some the particulars as best as i can describe the issue:

1. The noise happens while driving on smooth pavement whether going forward or in reverse

2. The noise happens while accelerating or decelerating and the rate of the clunking/ratcheting noise is proportional to how fast/slow I am going.

3. The noise is most prevalent between 5 and 30 mph. Once I hit 40 mph and beyond, the noise is very slight and/or seems to disappear altogether.

4. The noise occurs even when I shift the transmission into neutral (so I'm thinking it's not transmission-related)

5. The car drives fine...no issues with shifting or overall transmission performance

6. The noise completely disappears when I come to a complete stop

7. I checked the CV joint boots/shafts and all seems to be fine...no damaged boots and no grease leaking, etc.

8. The last time I had the vehicle in for maintenance, the shop mentioned I might need to get one of the engine mounts replaced as the rubber bushing in it was starting to deteriorate (though I doubt this could cause the noise I'm experiencing now).

I've read sometimes worn bushings are a leading cause for strange front end noises, but nearly all or those cases are when the car goes over a bump or pothole. The noise issue I'm having occurs on regular pavement, wet or dry.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide!

RS

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Not much activity on the MyJeepCompass forum so I thought I'd post my issue here for some possible help/assistance.

My 2007 Compass 4x4 with CVT (174,000 mi) for the last couple of weeks has made a strange clunking or ratcheting noise while driving, similar to what you'd hear when on a roller coaster as it slowly climbs up the track. Here are some the particulars as best as i can describe the issue:

1. The noise happens while driving on smooth pavement whether going forward or in reverse

2. The noise happens while accelerating or decelerating and the rate of the clunking/ratcheting noise is proportional to how fast/slow I am going.

3. The noise is most prevalent between 5 and 30 mph. Once I hit 40 mph and beyond, the noise is very slight and/or seems to disappear altogether.

4. The noise occurs even when I shift the transmission into neutral (so I'm thinking it's not transmission-related)

5. The car drives fine...no issues with shifting or overall transmission performance

6. The noise completely disappears when I come to a complete stop

7. I checked the CV joint boots/shafts and all seems to be fine...no damaged boots and no grease leaking, etc.

8. The last time I had the vehicle in for maintenance, the shop mentioned I might need to get one of the engine mounts replaced as the rubber bushing in it was starting to deteriorate (though I doubt this could cause the noise I'm experiencing now).

I've read sometimes worn bushings are a leading cause for strange front end noises, but nearly all or those cases are when the car goes over a bump or pothole. The noise issue I'm having occurs on regular pavement, wet or dry.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide!

RS

Have you fixed this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts