Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I installed the Kicker 6 x 9 Front/Rear speakers to upgrade my factory speakers which has made a great improvement. Now I'm trying to find out if I can add tweeters in the right/left spaces on the dash where the holes exist. Does anyone know if this can be easily done or does it require an elaborate rewiring (which I personally do not want to do)?

Also, does anyone know what size tweeter the space fits? Not sure which size to buy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Kicker has replacement tweeters through MOPAR like the door speakers you got too. I would assume you could wire them in. They would be the right size as a bonus.

However, from what I saw getting to that area is not for anyone but an experienced person to attempt. The entire top of the dash has to come off to get to where they mount. On 09+ models anyway. If you want to add some tweeters up high I would add them to the doors in the outside mirror trim panels. There are some members who have done that. Would be a LOT easier.

I am not a big fan of taking apart the dash in any vehicle unless it must be done. You will always end up with rattles and squeaks. You can never get stuff back tight the way it comes from the factory. You almost always end up breaking soemthhing as well. Note - I mean the dash itself and not face plates, bezels, etc...

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
To get to the mount holes isn't hard at all. If you use a hanger or anything for wire feeding I'd assume it would be a breeze with planning.

To access the holes all you have to do is remove the very far back cover, closest to your windshield which can be started with a flathead and pulled up on.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

·
Your Neighborhood 2WD Rep
981 Posts
To get to those holes it's actually pretty easy....you just remove the A pillar trim and it gives you some space to work with. Wiring would be the issue if you we're trying to run it from where the HU is. My plan is to wire it off the door speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the input. I plan to get someone more experienced than me to install.

I asked Crutchfield about adding tweeters. They said to add any tweeters I need to install an amplifier to handle the power. Does anyone know if this is necessary? If so, amplifier recommendations? I'm still not even sure what tweeter size either.

Here are the Pioneer tweeters I'd like.

Here are my Kicker speakers.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I am probably going to get someone more experienced than me to install.

I asked Crutchfield via Chat if I wanted to add tweeters could I add Pioneer. He said to add ANY tweeters I need to install an amplifier to handle the power. Does anyone know if this is necessary? If so, recommendations? I'm still not sure what tweeter size either.

Here are the tweeters I want: Pioneer

Here are my Kicker speakers: [URL]http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHRYSLER-JEEP-MOPAR-UPGRADE-KICKER-SPEAKER-SET-OEM-77KICK06-/171065323313?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d449af31&vxp=mtr
You don't need an amp if you're just adding two small tweeters. The person is just trying to make a sale. On my GMC Sierra I had 2 way Alpine 6 1/4in speakers in each door and a 1" tweeter on each side in the front A posts that were wired into the front main door speakers and didn't have any problems out of them at all. Unless you're into breaking your eardrums, the factory head unit,even without an amp, will have ample power.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'm glad I could be of help! I'm not sure of the tweeter size in the Patriot though, mine just came with the standard 4 speaker system. I've yet to fool with trying to add tweeters in the dash yet. Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you the size of the tweeters for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I contacted Crutchfield again and got a different agent. He said it's best to stick with the same brand as the speakers. In my case, Kicker. He suggested the Kicker 11KS13 1/2" dome tweeters.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I contacted Crutchfield again and got a different agent. He said it's best to stick with the same brand as the speakers. In my case, Kicker. He suggested the Kicker 11KS13 1/2" dome tweeters.
I find it very interesting how he suggested ones that were twice as much as the ones that you were looking at....

A speaker is a speaker. Having the same brand won't make a bit of a difference. It makes me sad to hear how crutchfield is treating you. And personally, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 3/4 inch tweeter, and for one like in the patriot, that isn't a direct earshot, I'd go with a 1 inch tweeter. These are the ones I had in my Sierra; http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PS110TW/Alpine-SPS-110TW.html . They worked great and sounded really crisp.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here's what I did.

Removed the outside mirror cover and marked where I wanted to drill

Drilled it out, mounted the tweeter.

Wired it into the crossover (if you ever buy components)

And done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I find it very interesting how he suggested ones that were twice as much as the ones that you were looking at....

A speaker is a speaker. Having the same brand won't make a bit of a difference. It makes me sad to hear how crutchfield is treating you. And personally, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 3/4 inch tweeter, and for one like in the patriot, that isn't a direct earshot, I'd go with a 1 inch tweeter. These are the ones I had in my Sierra; http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PS110TW/Alpine-SPS-110TW.html . They worked great and sounded really crisp.
You're absolutely right. Crutchfield keeps upselling me. Not good. :doh: I had Pioneer tweeters in my miata back in the day and they sounded great which is why I wanted the Pioneer. The Alpines look good too. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To get to those holes it's actually pretty easy....you just remove the A pillar trim and it gives you some space to work with. Wiring would be the issue if you we're trying to run it from where the HU is. My plan is to wire it off the door speakers.
So does this mean I can't hook the tweeters up to the head unit? Do you know why this is? I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
So does this mean I can't hook the tweeters up to the head unit? Do you know why this is? I'm confused.
Because, (and this is only a guess), I think the head unit would only have 4 channels. Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Let me assure you that it takes more than just removing the A-Pillar trim to have access to the underside of the dash where the tweeters go. Removing the trim allows you to snake some wire down the side but that is about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So based on these responses it seems like adding tweeters in the spaces under the dash (vs outside the dash) is not possible. I was hoping to get my mechanic to do it but it doesn't seem like it can be done.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
So based on these responses it seems like adding tweeters in the spaces under the dash (vs outside the dash) is not possible. I was hoping to get my mechanic to do it but it doesn't seem like it can be done.
It is possible. It is not easy. Big difference.

·
Your Neighborhood 2WD Rep
981 Posts
Let me assure you that it takes more than just removing the A-Pillar trim to have access to the underside of the dash where the tweeters go. Removing the trim allows you to snake some wire down the side but that is about it.
Thats all I need access to. I plan to drop the tweeters in from the top, thus removing the grill and making wiring way easier.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Thats all I need access to. I plan to drop the tweeters in from the top, thus removing the grill and making wiring way easier.
The grille is part of the entire top of the dash. It is not removable on it's own. At least 09+. Maybe on 07-08.

Or do you mean you are going to flush mount the tweeters on top of the dash? If so you are right about removing the A-Pillar helping. That would assist tweeters installed that way.

I thought we have been talking about replacing the exisiting tweeters or adding them in the factory location which is UNDER the dash. That is what I have been talking about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts