Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using the right turn signal, I get a dashboard chime and the blinker goes very fast. Both the front and rear turn signals on passenger side blink fast, I have replaced both the front and rear with no change.
The front passenger blinker is not as bright as the other side, before or after replacing the bulb. Also, when the headlights are turned on, this bulb is supposed to be lit but is completely off, and when the headlights are switched on the blinker does not flash at all, not even dimly.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sounds like a short in the wire between the front bulb and the flasher. With a
short the current is too high making the flasher operate faster. The short also
drains off current and there is not enough for the bulb, so that's why it is dim.
It might take a wiring diagram to see if the trouble is in the steering column or
in the back of the front bulb socket.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The good news is

You're getting power, but there is a ground somewhere.
First, clean off all corrosion from both front and rear sockets. Use a small screw driver (like for eye glass repair or other pointed tool) to get in there and scratch off all corrosion until the metal shines. Try them and see if they work.
Second, try to isolate if it is forward or aft. Disconnect the turn signal and see if the front one works.
Third, make sure your new bulbs work by installing them on the other side to verify.

Here is the wiring code for the 2014 Patriot Sport:

Right Front Signal Light
Black/Brown = Ground
White/Green = Signal Light
White/Grey = Running Light
Left Front Signal Light
Black/Green = Ground
White/Red = Signal Light
White/green = Running Light

Left Read Lamp – Hold the socket so that the bulb faces you and wires below. I matched the position of the wires left-middle-right with the new additional socket
Left wire: Black-Green for GROUND
Middle wire: White-Purple for the Running light.
Right wire: Green-Red for Turn Signal and Stop Lamp

Right Rear Lamp – Hold the socket so that the bulb faces you.
For some reason the color code is different for the Signal and Stop Lamp
Left wire: Black/Green for GROUND.
Middle wire: Purple-White for Running Light
Right wire: White-Yellow for Turn Signal and Stop Light

For Back Up: Hold the socket so that the bulb faces you.
Left wire: Black-Blue
Right wire: White-Green.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
When using the right turn signal, I get a dashboard chime and the blinker goes very fast. Both the front and rear turn signals on passenger side blink fast, I have replaced both the front and rear with no change.
The front passenger blinker is not as bright as the other side, before or after replacing the bulb. Also, when the headlights are turned on, this bulb is supposed to be lit but is completely off, and when the headlights are switched on the blinker does not flash at all, not even dimly.

Any ideas or suggestions?
I know this thread is really old but was this ever solved? I'm having the same exact issue on my 2008 Compass.

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
I know this thread is really old but was this ever solved? I'm having the same exact issue on my 2008 Compass.
Don't know if it was ever fixed or not but here's some things to check:

You could have a broken wire at the bulb socket, just under the insulation.

Here's wiring and connector info per 2008 manual.

You can also check C4 of the TIPM:

Lastly check the G110 ground connection on the passenger side chassis for continuity, sometimes the wires crimped in the lug corrode and don't make full contact:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you this has been very helpful. The bulb socket is good and the (G110) ground has continuity. I have the TIPM pulled out and located C4. I'm unfamiliar with these and don't want to damage it. Can you tell me how to troubleshoot to see if it's faulty? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
What you're checking for is continuity through the cable to the light sockets and corrosion on the pins of both sides of the connector. If there's continuity through the cable and no corrosion anywhere, and the output at the socket still isn't right then the tipm is probably bad.

Be very careful with the TIPM, there's circuit boards in there with IC's that can be damaged.

Take a look at this vid to get an idea of the pin corrosion (about 3:05-ish), cleaning, circuit board, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I will check this tomorrow.
Couple questions... If that cable is good then it's the TIPM for sure that needs to be replaced? There would be no reason to open up the steering column or look into the switch?

And there is one (WT/TN) wire coming out of the TIPM to the right turn signal and there is 2 wires (BK/PK) and (BK), plus the ground, going into the socket. Should there be continuity between the TIPM wire and both of those or just one of the two?
I appreciate all the help sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know this is an on going old post but I am having the same issue quick flashing with my 2009.

The right front turn signal works but the right front parking lamp does not (replaced the front and back bulbs). Sockets were okay.

I did visually check the G110 ground and it is pretty corroded but I have not addressed it yet. I only removed it and sanded the connector down. I was not able to tell which of the four wires were for the lamps and if the wire was actually corroded through.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know this is an on going old post but I am having the same issue quick flashing with my 2009.

The right front turn signal works but the right front parking lamp does not (replaced the front and back bulbs). Sockets were okay.

I did visually check the G110 ground and it is pretty corroded but I have not addressed it yet. I only removed it and sanded the connector down. I was not able to tell which of the four wires were for the lamps and if the wire was actually corroded through.
To update my post. I did find and fixed the problem.

On my 2009, the black/pink stripe ground wire was broken at the G110 ground.

I did find it was much easier to get to the bulb by just taking the wheel off.

At first, I was just going to run a jumper ground but noticed other grounds were looking iffy. It is a tight fit but I was able to replace the connectors on all of the grounds by splitting up the wires. The right turn signal and parking lamp now works.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yeah, that's some nasty looking wires! Glad you sorted it out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts