Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought myself a Patriot 2009 model with the 2,0 CRD engine.
The yellow engine lamp is lit, and the workshop (If that's what it's called) says that there is a fault on a sensor inside the turbo.
Is it so that you have to change the whole turbo because of this?

Vesto (norway)

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
I really can't answer your problem, but I will say my yellow engine light comes and goes (2.4 gasoline). Right now its on, but it was off most of last week; I bet it will be off again by next weekend. The nice thing about Jeeps is if whatever is wrong doesn't reoccur after several start/stop cycles the light will go out. I'd say give it a few days or maybe a week and see if it corrects itself.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i don't think there is one answer to your question

get any error codes read

check all pre- and post-turbo hoses for cracks/splits/leaks/clips failed - these are very very common

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't think there is one answer to your question

get any error codes read

check all pre- and post-turbo hoses for cracks/splits/leaks/clips failed - these are very very common
There was three codes on the car.
P0401
P2563
P0299

After I cleared the codes, the car went well for some miles, but then I got the lamp back again. And the only code then, was P0401.

Something about the EGR valve..

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
In my experience EGR valves are a fairly cheap repair. Unless there's something else deeper I think you're lucky. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i know this is an old thread but would appreciate your resolution on it.
i am currently facing the same issue. P401 and EML. Cleared the codes car run fine for several miles and now its back again and going into safe mode and when we checked again the codes were P0401 and P0299. i will be replacing the EGR Valve tomorrow just wanted to know if anything else we should be checking.
thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
i know this is an old thread but would appreciate your resolution on it.
i am currently facing the same issue. P401 and EML. Cleared the codes car run fine for several miles and now its back again and going into safe mode and when we checked again the codes were P0401 and P0299. i will be replacing the EGR Valve tomorrow just wanted to know if anything else we should be checking.
thanks
Hello, try checking all the vacuum lines from the control module (left had side of the battery) there is also a rubber elbow on the wastage diaphragm that tend to soak up oil and enlarge losing their ability to seal. You can just pull this off the pipe and the wastegate then soak it in Isopropanol it will grow in size again and the solution should go dark from the oil coming out the rubber.. if you then remove the elbow and let it dry out completely it'll shrink back to uts original size and be just like new.. providing no splits or cracks. If you don't have isopropanol then a short time in paint thinner or brake cleaner should also do the trick.

Reactions: patriot2007cy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, try checking all the vacuum lines from the control module (left had side of the battery) there is also a rubber elbow on the wastage diaphragm that tend to soak up oil and enlarge losing their ability to seal. You can just pull this off the pipe and the wastegate then soak it in Isopropanol it will grow in size again and the solution should go dark from the oil coming out the rubber.. if you then remove the elbow and let it dry out completely it'll shrink back to uts original size and be just like new.. providing no splits or cracks. If you don't have isopropanol then a short time in paint thinner or brake cleaner should also do the trick.
EGR Valve Replaced and all hoses and air intake cleaned (there was a load of black soot in everything) ... left the garage and after few miles i got the dreaded CEL again and went in limp mode. P0401 with brand new EGR.. . along with P0299... cleared the codes.... 1 mile later came back again... car seems to run fine, no smoke no rough idle no issue other than CEL and limp mode but happens so often that is not possible to ignore... im thinking to have the EGR Delete tune done and get it over with

·
Registered
8 Posts
EGR Valve Replaced and all hoses and air intake cleaned (there was a load of black soot in everything) ... left the garage and after few miles i got the dreaded CEL again and went in limp mode. P0401 with brand new EGR.. . along with P0299... cleared the codes.... 1 mile later came back again... car seems to run fine, no smoke no rough idle no issue other than CEL and limp mode but happens so often that is not possible to ignore... im thinking to have the EGR Delete tune done and get it over with
Thanks for the tips but i just saw your reply today after having taken the car back from the garage. . . not sure how to check those by myself. i think the wastegate is hard to reach no?
will ask my mechanic tomorrow when i drive down there if its something he could check. . do you suggest this because of the p0299 or p0401... as for the p0401 im thinking to hve the egr delete.. .

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my experience EGR valves are a fairly cheap repair. Unless there's something else deeper I think you're lucky. :)
Hi. .. had the same issue... EGR Replaced and did nothing to fix the issue.. . :( im thinking to have it removed by ECU tuning... do you think its worth to try fixing since we replaced the valve and cleaned the hoses and air intake and it still comes back in no time.. . along with limp mode and p0401 and p0299.
could the p0299 be caused by the car going in limp mode or is it not related?

·
Registered
8 Posts
UPDATE on my issue: I am happy to say that issue seems to be resolved... It seems like it was simply the vacuum lines base module (not sure how else to describe it) not sitting properly. Thankfully the guy who was supposed to be doing the ECU Remap didnt have time today and just went to get a second opinion from a different mechanic who noticed that the specific piece was not preperly fitting... after pushing it into place i took the car for a drive and it was like a different car!!! Came back home no CEL - touch wood this seems to have been the issue all along! I know everyone says to check the vacuum lines and i did that - but also check the base where the vacuum lines connect to as if it does not fit properly then this will also be an issue. EGR was replaced for no reason apparently BUT all the black soot that was removed makes me feel that is not a bad thing since at some point that would have also been an issue. Anyways All Good :) My Pat is happy and so am I :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The control module was not properly in place!!! :) i had checked the vaccum lines but it was actually the whole module not properly in place which caused vacuum leak apparentely. once fitted properly the car drives like new! THANK YOU

·
Registered
117 Posts
The control module was not properly in place!!! :) i had checked the vaccum lines but it was actually the whole module not properly in place which caused vacuum leak apparentely. once fitted properly the car drives like new! THANK YOU
Fantastic glad you got it sorted 👍

Reactions: patriot2007cy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts