Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 2.4L 4x4 Patriot and I have found that it struggles going up through the mountains of Colorado (driving to Keystone from Denver). I bought my Patriot in Indiana.

Do I need to have the ECU reprogrammed for high altitude driving? Is there anything other than using lower octane fuel that can be done to combat the loss of power from driving out here?

·
Super Moderator
3,873 Posts

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,532 Posts
Given that you haven't specified, I'm guessing it's an automatic with autostick, and therefore a 6-speed conventional transmission?

And when you say it struggles, are you saying it seems to struggle for air, like any naturally aspirated vehicle would at high altitudes? That would be reasonably normal.

Or does it stays in higher gears and lower RPM, lugging along looking for power? That sounds like an ECU problem, maybe you just need to step harder on the pedal and get it to downshift or maybe the computer is too dumb to know to do that.

Or does it downshift before you think it needs to, revving high to get the power and you believe that to be struggling? Internal combustion engines are not designed to lug along at extremely low RPM, especially an inline-4 petrol engine used in such as the Mitsubishi Lancer and Outlander, and Caliber R/T and SRT4(albeit a turbo variant on that last one). These little engines make peak power at higher RPM, so if it's winding up to 5000 with no trouble, it's not stuggling so much as just getting to peak power so it won't have any trouble getting you up the mountain intact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. When I said “I” it was the royal i. I bought the Jeep, and it’s being driven by my son. I drove once to keystone, and don’t remember if it was so much shifting wrong but having a noticeable loss of power. My thought was it was running too rich.

We are going to try the reset when we go out and also change to the lowest octane.

You make a good point about the peak power. I suspect that the shifting may have been off, causing it to struggle and lose too momentum before downshifting. Perhaps the pcm reset will help remedy that.

The screaming gerbil I would anticipate. It’s the inability to maintain momentum even when downshifting that is the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts