Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, looking for some general advice as to the direction to look into a repair for this issue. It's a 2008 Patriot. I'm moderately familiar with mechanic work but there's a lot I haven't tackled yet. Brakes tend to work fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not a stuck caliper pulling it. I jacked it up and tried to find any squeak or movement in the camber of the tire, but nothing was obviously evident. Is this likely to be an issue with bushings that have worn away and have allowed the camber tire alignment tilt top inward? It has the solid state dog bone alignment, which doesn't appear to have any adjustment.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,381 Posts
Since the wear is only on the right rear inside, I'm wondering if the toe on that side is set out too far. Does the right rear tire look like it's pointed out more than the other side?

1599652369419.png

·
8,289 Posts
FYI, the adjustments on the rear of my 2008 were frozen but my mechanic said it was close enough that it wasn't worth the effort to correct it. Apparently yours are further out than mine. Just so you know the adjustment might not be so simple. However if the tire wear is visible, you may have to. May not be something you want to tackle yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't appear to be tilted in or out laterally, but it does seem to have a tilt in on the top/out on the bottom. Based on your graphic it seems toe versus camber wear can look quite similar...my tire is not as bad as the one's shown (about 2 inches of wear from inside to center). Do you think it could be a bushing in the dogbone; as the solid state doesn't allow for adjustment? Or could the problem be elsewhere but manifesting wear on that tire.
I'm essentially trying to get a decent idea regarding the problem because about 2 years ago it was in the garage for similar wear but on both sides. I dunno if it's the same problem, but I'm reluctant to bring it there again do to somewhat subpar service. Also wondering if it's a possible DIY.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, the adjustments on the rear of my 2008 were frozen but my mechanic said it was close enough that it wasn't worth the effort to correct it. Apparently yours are further out than mine. Just so you know the adjustment might not be so simple. However if the tire wear is visible, you may have to. May not be something you want to tackle yourself.
Mine said a similiar thing about 2 years ago....I'm thinking maybe a pothole or gradual usage might have loosened or knocked it out of place.

·
Super Moderator
5,381 Posts
It doesn't appear to be tilted in or out laterally, but it does seem to have a tilt in on the top/out on the bottom. Based on your graphic it seems toe versus camber wear can look quite similar...my tire is not as bad as the one's shown (about 2 inches of wear from inside to center). Do you think it could be a bushing in the dogbone; as the solid state doesn't allow for adjustment? Or could the problem be elsewhere but manifesting wear on that tire.
I'm essentially trying to get a decent idea regarding the problem because about 2 years ago it was in the garage for similar wear but on both sides. I dunno if it's the same problem, but I'm reluctant to bring it there again do to somewhat subpar service. Also wondering if it's a possible DIY.
Normally with older Patriots the bushings in the upper control arms wear out, and the springs weaken which causes the wheels to tilt in at the top.
If it were that, I'd expect wear on the inside edges of both rear tires not just one.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
311 Posts
If the tires are old and had started wearing with a bad alignment than it's possible that they are just continuing to wear in the pattern that was set and there isn't anything wrong at all. When were the tires last rotated?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the tires are old and had started wearing with a bad alignment than it's possible that they are just continuing to wear in the pattern that was set and there isn't anything wrong at all. When were the tires last rotated?
Nah, They're all new since the last alignment adjustment. It's definitely something wrong with the camber of the RRtire (bottom out/top in). I'm wondering how it's adjusted because the alignment isn't adjustable...it's a solid 'dogbone' part. My guess is that it's warped enough that it throws of the alignment and therefore should be replaced. Now there is a knocking sound when I drive over a bump, but like I said earlier it's hard to replicate it.
I'll likely be taking it to a garage soon before switching to winter tires. Still open to any precise diagnosis

·
Super Moderator
5,381 Posts
As the theory goes, on a stock vehicle if the parts are all in spec then the camber will be too, so no adjustment is needed.

If the bushings in the stock rear upper control arms wear out or the springs get weak (out of spec) , the camber changes, so the part(s) is/are replaced and the camber is fixed.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
311 Posts
There is an adjustment on some by shifting the cross member.

Reactions: jimjam89
1 - 10 of 10 Posts