Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I own a 2008 Patriot (2.4L Auto RWD) w/ 97k miles and have trouble shifting into drive after backing up. I can go in reverse no problem, but then shift to D and it just revs as if stuck in neutral. It takes putting back into park then pulling the lever hard into drive, often many times, before actually catching and getting into drive. Took it to a transmission shop who told me it must be an issue with the forward clutch but that he isn't aware of any way to purchase any specific parts for the CVT without just buying a new transmission.

Does anyone know of any solution here rather than purchasing a whole new CVT unit? Any way to buy specific parts of the CVT to rebuild?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Maybe take it to a Jeep or a Nissan dealership to get an estimate. They will know more about that transmission. It's the same as the one they put in a lot of Nissans.

Or take it to a more experienced transmission shop who knows that transmission. With only 95k miles, it's probably definitely worth repairing even if it needs a replacement or rebuild. As long as the body is not rusted out.

It could be just the pump.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Had this issue with mine for years. Every single time I took it into a shop, I was told there's transmission failure and they need to rebuild the transmission, etc, etc... Finally, last year this new mechanic I started taking it to said he could fix it by tightening some metal wire in the shifter, so I had him go ahead and try it and it worked. Haven't had a single issue with it since.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Had this issue with mine for years. Every single time I took it into a shop, I was told there's transmission failure and they need to rebuild the transmission, etc, etc... Finally, last year this new mechanic I started taking it to said he could fix it by tightening some metal wire in the shifter, so I had him go ahead and try it and it worked. Haven't had a single issue with it since.
So it could just be the shift linkage. That'd be great for the OP if so.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Plastic connector under center console breaks, allows cable to have too much play. I was told the connector was the same one used in wranglers, in the transfer case shifter. Bought replacement one ( and a spare ) on eBay for 5.00 shipped to the house as the dealer wanted 6 apiece for them, and I had to buy the whole bag.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Could be that linkage. that reminds me. I have to buy the metal replacement for my JK!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts