Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Jeep Patriot is slow to accelerate up a hill. On flat ground everything is ok. But when the road is uphill, RPMs increase while the speed isn't changing. If the CVT transmission is slipping, could transmission bands be replaced without having to pay for a new transmission?

This is my first car that has an engine with only 4 cylinders. Could the problem I described above be the norm for a car with a 4 cylinder engine?

What should I do? Is it a good idea to visit a transmission place, or is it the case that they won't be able to do much (except replace the transmission)?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,493 Posts
It's normal for any vehicle to slow down while going uphill. To maintain speed the RPMs need to increase to maintain your desired speed. It's more noticeable with a 4 cylinder. The larger the incline or faster the speed, the bigger the difference in RPMs. Unless it's a major difference, like 5000rpm for 40mph on a 1% grade, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's normal for any vehicle to slow down while going uphill. To maintain speed the RPMs need to increase to maintain your desired speed. It's more noticeable with a 4 cylinder. The larger the incline or faster the speed, the bigger the difference in RPMs. Unless it's a major difference, like 5000rpm for 40mph on a 1% grade, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you for setting my mind at ease.

The incline is substantial (15%), and as I accelerate from 60 mph to 75 mph, RPMs go up from 2000 to 4000-5000. Before I changed the transmission fluid, RPMs would go up, but the speed would be unchanged. Now, as RPMs go up, the car is able to accelerate, albeit slowly.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,493 Posts
Yeah, that sounds normal. Especially for a CVT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts