Jeep Patriot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yep we sure are, always have been.
Here in La Porte County, we are on CT. However, I work in the ET zone (St. Joseph County) and depending on my schedule, can be in and out of both time zones several times in one day. Talk about confusing! One clock in the house is always set to 'fast' time (ET) and rest are on 'slow' time (CT).

With the time change, that means Monday morning my body will feeling like it's getting up at 1:00 AM (2:00 ET) instead of 2:00 AM (3:00 ET). I've been doing this for seven years; I don't know if one ever get used to it. One only learns to cope with the schedule.

If I get to the trailride, I will be leaving early. On the bright side, if the park was open at 3:00 AM, I could be there without any problems!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Here in La Porte County, we are on CT. However, I work in the ET zone (St. Joseph County) and depending on my schedule, can be in and out of both time zones several times in one day. Talk about confusing!
Thats brutal Hoosier I'd be :confused: all the time!

·
A True Straight Shooter
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ill try to be there by 11a Badlands time. Ill be off work at 2:30a on Satruday which will actually be 3:30a. Will get up at 6a and should be well on my way by 7a. Could arrive by 10 if traffic is perfect.

You guys go wheelin without me and ill call for you on the radio or track you down when I arrive.

We definitly need to explore new areas time around. Ill have my hiking gear with me and will do so on foot if needs be!

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Trailride: Pictures here

Will H, his buddy with the Cherokee, firemothjoe, and myself went despite mother nature's attempt to rain on the fun.
The place was pretty crowded too. Lots of lunatic bikers, ATVs, and several lifted vehicles.

The day started as overcast, then there was a monsoon, the sun came out, and just before we left another monsoon followed by sun.
I rode with Will H most of the day since mine is just a 2WD. After we had lunch, I did take mine out into some of the paths to the big hills (I know, no pictures so it didn't happen :icon_rolleyes:). Most of the badlands consists of various sizes of pea gravel and the loose depth can vary greatly. I was fine as long as the loose depth did not approach 3" and I could keep up my momentum. I did get stuck on the path to the dunes. There were several big puddles and whoops in a row. The loose gravel got too deep and I just could go no further. I got myself freed by rocking back and forth. I had no room to turn around. So I turned on the backup camera, and reversed my way back to the road (My jeep was now rear wheel drive). :)

The pictures are mostly from the quarry area. I have several videos of mud running, sand pile riding, and driving around in the pea gravel. I also have some video of a higly modified Bronco and a couple of Cherokees. Right now I am trying to figure out where I am going to put them.

It was fun to meet Will and Joe.
Thanks for being my driver, Will :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Glad to have you ride along Joe, It's nice to have someone else looking where your going and to talk to. We all know you had the 4X2 out there and we seen it. I was surprised how well it did in the sand/pea gravel stuff out there. It might have been a little easier if it weren't so wet; I sure noticed the difference.

On the way home I ran into (or it ran into me) Those 60mph winds :wow: it was all I could do to stay on the road! I had to stop for fuel and it was all I could do to complete that task. It was a pretty open area.

Thanks for the cabin filter Joe I'm sure it will used soon since This is trailride #3 and my factory one has been in there since the first one. Looks like you could sell these as a alternative to the factory ones. Very nice workmanship.

Firemothjoe will probably be on tomorrow as he is camping out tonight :zzz:

·
A True Straight Shooter
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Surprize!! :) anybody still up? It's almost midnight and I'm over here at Turkey Run state park's campground! My cell apparently gets a strong enough signal to use the internet! So I just found the 9,000th reason that Turkey Run's campground is better than Badland's campground: my cell gets a signal! The other reasons include, but are not limited to the fact that Turkey run feels infantly more rustic and nature-y. It is practically vaccant, and surrounded by hiking trails... I'm secluded and by myself... it's pitch black out here and there are constant wind gusts of over 20mph. The atomphere is totally scary, standing out here in the pitch darkness and thrashing winds sends my survival instincts into overdrive. I'd go on a night hike if I didn't have my dog with me. Oh, and it's only $11.50! My Ohio campgrounds charge $25 for half the quality of this place! The camp security officer is also very nice and doesn't treat me like some punk kid wierd-o, I'm sure he deals with a lot of them. I'm testing out some new camping rigs that makes sleeping in the jeep in cold-windy weather both possible and pleasant.

Anyway enough about that. Each trailride seems to be a little better than the last and this one was no exception.
(Continued in a sec.........)

·
A True Straight Shooter
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
As the guys said, it was the four of us who went. Only four, but it's ok, because I've come to realize that any number greater than one is a massive success. You can't go to these places alone. You just can't. You gotta have a guy waching your back incase you get lost, stuck or injured. This is vital. So I was very greatful to share the company of Will H, Joebecker, and Will's Buddy who drives a cherokee.... CherokeeDan.

We did the usual rounds at Badlands but it felt differant this time. I was kind of hopeing for a snowstorm when I planned this one, but instead we got one of the biggest downpours I've seen in a long time. If you think offroad parks are interesting, try one during a flash flood! Bumps became creeks instantly! The puddles doubled in size and the mud turned into silt, as soft and squishy as chocolate mousse. This was fine for the otherwise dry "Rock Querry" but it turned the "Mud Pit" into a big fat no-go.

I know Joebecker has some amazing video shots of us playing in the downpour aftermath and I can't wait to see them!

Oh and by the way Joe, I got SEVERAL pics of your 4x2 charging through the sand like it was nothing! Joebecker was able to demonstrate that diving skills go a very long way in the most hostile terrain. I'll post my best crappy-camera-action-shots as soon as I can! Gotta get home first.

There were a lot of amazing plays worth mentioning besides the ones already noted by Will and Joe, but I'm fighting fatugue and may litteraly go mad if I don't give my brain a rest soon. The play that I have to mention asap was "Hamburger Hill" (I'll make a list of all places nick-named by the Tristate Mk's at a later time.)

That damn Hamburger Hill!

Ok, so I can't make it up some hills. I usually can figure out what I can and can't do at this point just by looking at the hill- we often try them anyways. But Hamburger Hill had nearly no slope angle and didn't look at all difficult. It was actually low area that connected two actuall real hills. So I dived right into it like I wasn't worried and so did Dan in his Super Cherokee. We both didn't think we were in any trouble when suddenly.... QUICKSAND!!!!! My tires sank and Dan's were burried halfway. We raced neck and neck at about .5 miles and hour as both our engines labored to keep momentum on level ground. I finally got bogged down and stopped. By some mirical, I was able to back out and get out of the way so Will could take a shot. He had to same trouble as I did. We both called it quits and found another wussy route to get to the top.

Dan kept going. It's one thing for a stocky to give up, but Mega-Mods don't give up if they can keep moving forward, at least that's my theory. Inch by 9,000 RPM inch, Dan fought his way up the smooth, gentle slope of Hamburger hill. All four of his wheels were sinning out simeotaneously... but were doing so slowly! I guess that's what torque looks like! He forced his way through the belly of the beast and burst out its entrails! Hamburger was defeated, but not for good, it still must be beaten by a Patriot one day

Nite nite. More to come later. Going Hiking at Turkey Run tomorrow. If I stumble across anything beautiful, I'll snap some shots and add it to my postings tomorrow.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
On the way home I ran into (or it ran into me) Those 60mph winds :wow: it was all I could do to stay on the road!
My antenna whistled to me all the way home. I got over 30 MPG with that nice cross/tail wind.

The entire time I was heading down 41 toward I-74 I could hear little pieces of pea gravel falling out of my Jeep (wind gust aided).

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great time!

Wish I could have made it. Hopefull I can make it next time. I have a lot of stuff coming up in the next few month tho so we shall see. Im getting married on july 18th so theres all that stuff that goes with it.

Good news is I got a call that my patriot is fixed and I can pick it up after work today.

·
A True Straight Shooter
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Just got home!!!
****MORE PICS HERE**************************
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/album.php?albumid=61

It turns out I took almost 40 pics. Here's the first handful. Most of these are of JoeBecker going off road.

I just got called in to do a 12 hour overnight shift! Can!t turn down $$ but I gotta get ready for work now. Will post tonight when I get settled in.

·
A True Straight Shooter
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Another special thanks to Deres for making the Tri-State MK's logo. It really ties the idea of a Jeep club together and the sticker version turned out nicely. I'm gonna stick some in the waiting room of my local Jeep dealerships and see if we can get some locals to sign up to JP.com and perhaps even get some more new faces on the next trail run..... which, of course, will be in the spring sometime!

Joebecker, my favorite pic so far is the one you took of me in the downpour! That one is my wallpaper now.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Joebecker, my favorite pic so far is the one you took of me in the downpour! That one is my wallpaper now.
Just wait till you see the video. I have it put together. It is saving as I type. It will be 5 mins at 35 MB (hopefully without losing too much quality) and I will load it onto Youtube.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
One of JoeBecker's pics is now my avtar (thanks Joe). :smiley_thumbs_up:

I was wondering if you had a windy evening firemothjoe and it sounds like you did. We had several branches down around the house when I got home. Dan hit that wind on Rt 41 on the way home and almost lost the whole rig! At one point he said his top speed was only 35mph floored. He said he had a great time with our Patriot group.

I Had a great time too yesterday and am looking forward to seeing more people join us the next time we head out.

·
A True Straight Shooter
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I can't wait to see the video! Have to get to a computer first. Workin till 9am. I'll be on my third caffine pill by then and will probably just go home and pass out in my uniform.

Yeah, that wind was killer. But I just sat in the jeep and watched a movie. (5th element- awesome movie) The wind ruined my campfire... then supercharged it. I had to kick it apart just so a flaming log didn't fly into the treeline. I'm not too familure with Indiana but while listening to a radio news report on the drive home, it sounded like a tornado hit somewhere in my corner of the state last night. Would rather not know for sure actually.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Video is uploaded, just waiting for it to process...... however long that is going to take. :icon_rolleyes: ......... waiting ..... does it have to go through a bunch of government censors or something? :D

It's here! still processing it though, hopefully the quality will get better once it is really done.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts